Texas Hunting Forum

CWD

Posted By: soooo

CWD - 04/08/21 04:39 PM

A deer east of Lubbock tested positive according to Texas Farm Bureau.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: CWD - 04/08/21 04:40 PM

Wild deer or pen raised?
Posted By: soooo

Re: CWD - 04/08/21 04:43 PM

8.5 year old free ranging mule deer. Buffalo Springs area.

Re: CWD - 04/08/21 04:44 PM

Oh, wow. No bueno.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: CWD - 04/08/21 05:24 PM

Damn
Posted By: don k

Re: CWD - 04/09/21 11:41 AM

Where is flounder or whatever his name is?
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: CWD - 04/09/21 03:06 PM

so a free ranging mule deer that can travel dozens of miles is infected, but lets continue focusing on pen raised deer.. inside high fence, that's inside another high fence.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: CWD - 04/09/21 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Wild deer or pen raised?

Everything that’s been tested positive in the panhandle is free ranging. It’s also the lowest densities in texas.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: CWD - 04/09/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by kyle1974
so a free ranging mule deer that can travel dozens of miles is infected, but lets continue focusing on pen raised deer.. inside high fence, that's inside another high fence.

CWD came to texas via mule deer in west texas walking across the NM border. But that fact is always hidden, panhandle is no different. I Find it interesting it’s a post prime deer

Re: CWD - 04/09/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Wild deer or pen raised?

Everything that’s been tested positive in the panhandle is free ranging. It’s also the lowest densities in texas.

Thanks for the info. You never know when things can change,
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: CWD - 04/10/21 03:14 PM

Weird how they started finding CWD now that they test a bunch for it

Kinda like the ‘Rona
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: CWD - 04/10/21 03:18 PM

I really have no ideas or sure but it would seem the stuff is probably always been around in some capacity and will continue to do so unless you wipe out every last deer in the country. Again I don’t know a thing about the stuff but I would think it’s like any other disease, it’s here to stay.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: CWD - 04/10/21 04:24 PM

Good information
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: CWD - 04/10/21 04:33 PM

Some one correct me if I am wrong but to my knowledge , there is no documented case of any human catching it. If it has been around for ???? , don't you think someone would have contracted the disease, one way or another? Several states test for it using animals killed & brought in by hunters but since testing takes some time, hunters are allowed to take their animals with them and told that the testing organization will send results later. Anything odd about that?? Seems so to me!!!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: CWD - 04/10/21 07:15 PM

There is no rapid test for CWD animals and I've heard someone is developing a test for live animals but not sure if that is true.
You are right , no person has been documented yet as having variant CJD from a cwd infected animal.
It was recognized in 1960's and has been spreading across Wyoming since it was brought to SE Wyoming for study.

We live on the endemic area and do not get our animals tested by and large , we just process them and eat them not knowing. We have had a few deer tested and all came back negative. We have seen "wasters" elk and reported them to WG&F for putting down, they were positive.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: CWD - 04/17/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I really have no ideas or sure but it would seem the stuff is probably always been around in some capacity and will continue to do so unless you wipe out every last deer in the country. Again I don’t know a thing about the stuff but I would think it’s like any other disease, it’s here to stay.

I agree.....could be like Anthrax.....or not......
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum