Texas Hunting Forum

Oaks

Posted By: Old Shakie

Oaks - 04/07/21 01:49 PM

I noticed the oaks are full of blooms around here. Should be a very heavy acorn year. Just like 2019.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Oaks - 04/07/21 03:15 PM

It won't be a great year unless we get some good rain. Being down several inches already means we may be going into a drought, and acorns are not good in drought.

We'll see. This time of year the oaks are always in full bloom and shedding pollen like crazy tho...the green carpet of pollen in alive and well
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Oaks - 04/07/21 03:58 PM

My eyes are feeling it
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Oaks - 04/07/21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
It won't be a great year unless we get some good rain. Being down several inches already means we may be going into a drought, and acorns are not good in drought.

We'll see. This time of year the oaks are always in full bloom and shedding pollen like crazy tho...the green carpet of pollen in alive and well

Agreed
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Oaks - 04/09/21 12:09 AM

Yep...
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Oaks - 04/09/21 11:39 AM

I was told once by an old biologist that the oak trees will sometimes produce more in a bad year with less rain than in a wet one. He said it was the tree's reaction to feeling threatened and put on a bumper crop.

Anyone know if this is true or not? I do know I've seen trees cover the ground even when it was a very dry year before.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Oaks - 04/16/21 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
I was told once by an old biologist that the oak trees will sometimes produce more in a bad year with less rain than in a wet one. He said it was the tree's reaction to feeling threatened and put on a bumper crop.

Anyone know if this is true or not? I do know I've seen trees cover the ground even when it was a very dry year before.

I have heard this before but don’t know if it’s true or not.
We’ve had bumper crops during wet years.
Last summer was dry and hardly any acorns
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Oaks - 04/16/21 07:09 PM

It looks like we've lost two in our front yard....live oaks... bang

They are going to leave a large hole in the landscape....30+ year old trees
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Oaks - 04/16/21 11:34 PM

A good acorn year generally means, on my place, a bad year hunting.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Oaks - 04/19/21 08:39 PM

Most Oaks have mast crop cycles of 2-4 years. That means that every 2-4 years each tree will produce a bumper crop of acorns even if the weather doesnt cooperate. When you have a very wet year that coincides with a mast year, the amount of acorns a tree can produce can be staggering. I have seen very wet years produce tons of acorns followed by a dry year that produces even more than the year before. Weather does play a roll in how many acorns a tree produces but mast cycle also plays a huge roll. You will almost never see two huge acorn years in a row from the same tree even with perfect conditions.

Re: Oaks - 04/20/21 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
A good acorn year generally means, on my place, a bad year hunting.

Heck yeah for us too
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Oaks - 04/21/21 10:41 PM

Posted By: MilerPip

Re: Oaks - 04/30/21 09:53 AM

I think that because of the rains, there will not be such a good year

Re: Oaks - 04/30/21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Longhunter

Good info
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Oaks - 05/01/21 08:14 PM