Posted By: Brother in-law

Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 01:56 AM

What height hog panels?

How many assuming they were 16’?

Does anybody sell 8’s

How big?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 02:13 AM

Hog panels at tractor supply.....34 or 36in high. 8-10 minimum in a circle. Some 8 foot sections available but the 16s are better.
Posted By: CGB

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 02:22 AM

I think mine are 34 inches tall x 16’ long. I went with 9 panels and 18-5ft t-post. Got everything at Tractor supply.Cost around $300. I don’t know of any 8’ panels but they might have them. Only other things I think you’ll need are a t-post driver and a roll of wire. Imo the bigger the pen the better for deer.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 02:27 AM

At least 8 16x34 hog panels preferably 10.....
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 05:23 AM

Ours are 12 or 13 panels plus a 8’ gate for easy access.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 10:28 AM

Circle - 11 16 footers 34 inches high plus a scavenged 12 ft gate
[Linked Image]

Square 3 16 footers per side
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 11:09 AM

Anyone have any problems with cattle going right over top of the hog panels?
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

No, but some will lean in on them and bend the tops. I overlap the panels 2 squares minimum and that helps some with the rigidity of the tops.

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 11:17 AM

If not overgrazed, nope. The square pen set up is much more conducive to a practice which somes on here despise. We can stretch a stand of barb wire two inches above the top of the panel and get it very tight. Had to do that when the grazing lease operator stocked too many of them long legged white cows and they ate everything up.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 11:25 AM

I know the guys on my new lease said they didn't have any problem with their hog panel pens until they put cottonseed baskets in them. They said once the cows got wind of that, the went over the panels like they were there. They even mangled another pen made out of the 48" cattle panels to get to it.

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 11:46 AM

Ours ain't used to cottonseed and see comments about being overgrazed. If they are getting in, make square pens with stout corners and fence them out.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 11:52 AM

34",

Minimum 10, 12 is optimal, preferably in a circle.

Believe 8'ers are sold

10-12 in a circle, overlap at least one square on each end of each panel.

I used hose claps on the t-posts to secure, about $1/each or so on Amazon easy on and will come off easy.

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 11:53 AM

I also ran a row of barbed wire 2" above the top of the panel just to keep cows from pushing down on them.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 01:38 PM

Had cows get in once, they were after a sweet smelling deer block. They layed on one panel then got in...5 of them. Have barb wire about 2" above panel like Thunter65. so far good.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 02:15 PM

Never say never, lol.....never until this year when we put alfalfa bales out......had a few get in......we ran a hot wire around the top and solved the problem....
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 02:53 PM

We have regular Brangus cattle and they'll laugh at a 34-36" hog panel if they really want in. A 48-50" will turn them, though. If you go short with a barb, put the barb at least 8" above the panel so a deer can't hang their leg.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by CGB
I think mine are 34 inches tall x 16’ long. I went with 9 panels and 18-5ft t-post. Got everything at Tractor supply.Cost around $300. I don’t know of any 8’ panels but they might have them. Only other things I think you’ll need are a t-post driver and a roll of wire. imo the bigger the pen the better for deer.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 05:50 PM

The minimum I use is 10, 16', 34" hog panels arranged in a circle or close to it, T posts every 8', overlap panels by at least one square.
Tie panels together at overlap in at least 4 places top, bottom, 2 in between, tie panel to T posts in at least 3 places top, bottom, middle.
I don't mess with the 8' panels.

Bigger is better, normally my pens are 14 or more panels, one of ours is 18 panels.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 07:07 PM

Don't over think it. 34", 52", square, round, small, or big. They'll eventually use it unless you're in East Texas for the most part

Big pigs and goats/sheep will jump anything shorter than 34" and that includes 34" panels that have slight bends in the top square
Posted By: richard-ssv

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 03/25/21 07:50 PM

Agree that larger the pen the better, but I've made it by with a 30' diameter pen (six 16' panels w/12 T-posts). I see plenty of deer in my pen every season.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Klinker

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/01/21 02:05 PM

Curious why everyone seems to recommend overlapping panels by one or two squares? I did it when I built my lat three pens - just because everybody said to do it - but had no idea why. Why not just wire the end of each panel securely to a t-post where the two panels meet?
Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/02/21 04:48 PM

Agree the more the better. We use 12 in a circle and have nice pics where multiple deer will bed down inside. Plus keeps one from pushing the others out of the pen.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/02/21 05:26 PM

[quote=Klinker]Curious why everyone seems to recommend overlapping panels by one or two squares? I did it when I built my lat three pens - just because everybody said to do it - but had no idea why. Why not just wire the end of each panel securely to a t-post where the two panels meet?[/quote

It seems like overkill to me but Im pretty sure they do it to make it stronger against aggressive(and hungry) and big cattle and hogs. I think its unusual to be needed but many on here, I assume, will tell you stories about how their pen got destroyed. Its probably rare but better safe than sorry would be their advise I bet.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/02/21 06:17 PM

From experience- if you have cows build it square so you can top with barb wire easier.
Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/02/21 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
[quote=Klinker]Curious why everyone seems to recommend overlapping panels by one or two squares? I did it when I built my lat three pens - just because everybody said to do it - but had no idea why. Why not just wire the end of each panel securely to a t-post where the two panels meet?[/quote

It seems like overkill to me but Im pretty sure they do it to make it stronger against aggressive(and hungry) and big cattle and hogs. I think its unusual to be needed but many on here, I assume, will tell you stories about how their pen got destroyed. Its probably rare but better safe than sorry would be their advise I bet.

My pen does need maintenance from time to time. Really just replacing the wire clips that hold the panels to the t posts. I don't overlap the panels. Only tie each end to a t post.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/03/21 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Klinker
Curious why everyone seems to recommend overlapping panels by one or two squares? I did it when I built my lat three pens - just because everybody said to do it - but had no idea why. Why not just wire the end of each panel securely to a t-post where the two panels meet?

We have cattle that get rotated, and I've seen pens after a cow wants in for some alfalfa or even the corn. If we didn't have cows, I would do 36" hog panels in a heartbeat and not over-engineer it. That said, we have what we have so we use 52" panels and cut some squares out of a few spots to let doe in. I haven't had a cow make it into one of our pens yet that has been built round, 3 overlapping squares, and a t post on the ends and in the middle. No barb wire needed
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/04/21 02:06 PM

I use 10 panels/pen 50’ across I had 1 cow jump in the pen after several years but she was a corriente she was sold
I haven’t had anymore problems.
Posted By: Old Smuggler

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/04/21 03:32 PM

I use the hog panels as well and have been on 3 leases so far with cattle. So far have not had 1 jump in yet. Also the bigger the better. My current pen is 10 panels.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/04/21 04:07 PM

I built one this weekend, 12 panels, 16', round. I had a source for the higher ones, I cut them down with bolt cutters. I have a t-post every 8'. The pieces that I cut down were wired to the bottom at the locations where it looked like an opportunity to dig underneath would be likely.

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/04/21 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by texas_sooner

My pen does need maintenance from time to time. Really just replacing the wire clips that hold the panels to the t posts. I don't overlap the panels. Only tie each end to a t post.

Hose Clamps!
Posted By: TLew

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/04/21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Originally Posted by texas_sooner

Hose Clamps!

Double over bailing wire wrapped caddy corner. I don't think I've every used a tpost clip

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/04/21 06:49 PM

hate t posts clips
Posted By: richard-ssv

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/06/21 11:20 AM

Easy Peasy......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091UZPC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/06/21 12:01 PM

knock yourself out
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/06/21 05:21 PM

I always used doubled tie wire and overlap the panels one square for strength.

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/06/21 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I always used doubled tie wire and overlap the panels one square for strength.

Yep, now someone is talking easy
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/06/21 06:54 PM

Also easy, use rebar instead of t-posts. They pound in easier.
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/07/21 03:18 PM

Try these, they work well. https://youtu.be/s9iYATZjkGI
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/07/21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sidebuster
Try these, they work well. https://youtu.be/s9iYATZjkGI

Now THAT is cool!

I discovered metal zip ties on this forum. I'm using them to attach panels to pipe gates to build a large pig trap/corral. We'll see if they hold up to the boar(s) from hell. realmad

The rebar is also a great suggestion. I'm scrounging rebar from all over the ranch, at old feed pen sites. Whoever was hunting this place must have been involved in concrete somehow. I almost named it "The Rebar Ranch". grin

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/07/21 03:44 PM

Man that there is sharp city. How could you not like it?
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/07/21 07:43 PM

Looks like chain link fencing left-overs might do a similar weaving together. I've got a bunch of them and will try next time I'm at the ranch. Might not be as slick, but cheaper.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/07/21 09:31 PM

up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Feeder Pen ?’s - 05/07/21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pootie
Looks like chain link fencing left-overs might do a similar weaving together. I've got a bunch of them and will try next time I'm at the ranch. Might not be as slick, but cheaper.

Ahh hell, now you're gonna make me waste an afternoon trying to make that work. There's some chain link at the dump in my not-quite-ready-to-go-in-the-pit pile. nidea
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum