Texas Hunting Forum

Wind turbines and deer?

Posted By: glocker17

Wind turbines and deer? - 03/13/21 09:43 PM

Do they mix? Looks like neighboring property is getting them. How do animals react once construction is done. Closest one will be half mile from fence line maybe closer.

Thanks
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/13/21 10:25 PM

They won’t care. Be glad they aren’t on your property.
Posted By: booskay

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/13/21 10:56 PM

In cental Texas the deer adapt to neighborhoods,,, eat all the flowers that people plant ------- I doubt if a windmill would bother them.

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/13/21 11:37 PM

I hope it doesn't run off deer and turkey. I know they kill lots of birds and bats.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 03:51 AM

They walk under ours all the time. I’ve shot deer within 30-40 yds. Turkeys don’t seem to mind either.
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 05:07 AM

Animals could care less
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4willie
Animals could care less
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 03:09 PM

They will push more animals onto your property for a couple of years for sure, the increase in traffic alone will move them. We hunted a large ranch that got windmills, took almost 5 years before deer were completely used to them.
Posted By: TKM

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 04:36 PM

Deer get use to a lot of things with time.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 06:59 PM

ask your neighbor if you can put a stand on one grin
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 07:40 PM

An example of how deer react to the outside world invading their world. This happen to my wife and I last Friday, we were leaving Longview on Hawkins, going east. We saw 2 deer in a power line ROW feeding about 3pm then about 2 blocks further east in a patch of woods that literally borders Hawkins saw 2 doe laying down within 10 yds of the road. They were not paying one bit of attention to the traffic on Hawkins or the other street running North-south.

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 09:02 PM

I hope it doesn't happen, but it sound like longer term prospects will be Ok. Main problem now is the wind people trespassing doing surveys, happened once when no-one was home, they showed up yesterday trying to open locked gate. They won't try again....

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/14/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by glocker17
I hope it doesn't happen, but it sound like longer term prospects will be Ok. Main problem now is the wind people trespassing doing surveys, happened once when no-one was home, they showed up yesterday trying to open locked gate. They won't try again....

I was driving through our place and found two hikers with gear and backpacks. Turns out they were a PhD and assistant, surveying for Indian artifacts for the high line company. Apparently you have to get that sort of thing signed off before you can construct a high line.
Posted By: VMike

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/15/21 06:33 PM

Deer don't mind them. In fact one of our better spots is next to some. The noise they make covers the accidental sounds we make in the blind.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 03:51 AM

I hunt right in the middle of a big wind farm. Most blinds are within a couple hundred yards of one. It is considered one of the best leases in north central texas.
The deer could care less about it. And the plus is the roads are all weather, well maintained double vehicle wide. We can corn about 20 miles of roads a day and see more bucks than most hunters on equal size leases see in 10 years.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by glocker17
I hope it doesn't run off deer and turkey. I know they kill lots of birds and bats.

According to an article my wife ran across, experts in Europe found that painting one of the blades black allows birds to see and avoid them much easier. Not sure why other than a large, black, rotating object is much easier to see..
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 10:41 AM

We have them on our place no problems. up
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 11:49 AM

The dead bird thing is a myth/ fake news.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster

Put some money on it.....

https://www.fws.gov/birds/bird-enthusiasts/threats-to-birds/collisions/wind-turbines.php

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 01:51 PM

Bull. I've seen it happen. Not only that, but I went back the way I came about 30 minutes later. The buzzrd that got smashed was magically gone. The only other vehicle to come by? Yep, a wind energy truck. So not only does it happen they've been told to keep it quiet.

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 01:55 PM

How bout $5,000 today? Simple, you drive to meet me and we will look under 10 windmills at random and we can drive to your place and look at 10. If we find, say I’ll be generous, over 3 birds, dead caused by the turbines you win. Money can be deposited with another member.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 03:15 PM

How bout $5,000 today? Simple, you drive to meet me and we will look under 10 windmills at random and we can drive to your place and look at 10. If we find, say I’ll be generous, over 3 birds, dead caused by the turbines you win. Money can be deposited with another member.

Yes it happens instantaneously at ever turbine roflmao

We have had several buzzards and hawks on ours, we are in year 17.

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 03:35 PM

Well, deposit your $5000 and let’s go look under a turbine and find 3 birds dead. I’ve had more dead birds from hitting my back patio window.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Wind turbines and deer? - 03/16/21 03:36 PM

I don't like 'em. They don't screw up hunting on a long-term basis. They don't destroy property values. As was already mentioned, the roads are nice.

If I was a landowner, I would want the option to have them on my land. If I was a neighbor, I would hope they stay out of the neighborhood.

For those claiming it is hard on raptors, that should be a boon for quail.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum