Texas Hunting Forum

Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t

Posted By: JJW

Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 03/08/21 06:07 PM

Hello
Has anyone hunted Caddo National Grasslands for deer?
If so, I would love to learn more. I would like to take my son hunting there next season.
Thanks!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 03/08/21 06:10 PM

There’s some reports under the public land hunting section
Posted By: Leveled

Re: Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 03/11/21 06:47 PM

This is one of the most pressured plots of public land there is. Better to hunt San Angelo which I find to be the best Public Land.
I hunted LBJ Grasslands last year and at least saw a few deer on the move. This is a better choice as there are many different parcels that border private land.

Also apply for the hunt drawings that are held each year beginning in August.

For Caddo there is one hard to get to spot that would be best.
It is on the South unit off CR 3355 and backs up to the Sulphur River.
The road at one point about three miles back is only accessible to a high 4X4 vehicle.
The Idea is to park and walk about .5 miles to the entrance.
Harder to get to means less pressure.
Good Luck.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 03/11/21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Leveled
This is one of the most pressured plots of public land there is. Better to hunt San Angelo which I find to be the best Public Land.
I hunted LBJ Grasslands last year and at least saw a few deer on the move. This is a better choice as there are many different parcels that border private land.

The road at one point about three miles back is only accessible to a high 4X4 vehicle.
Good Luck.

This is correct
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 03/11/21 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Leveled

Good Luck.

2x
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 03/12/21 07:25 AM

Very crowded
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 03/12/21 06:06 PM

Well, since San Angelo is bein discussed....there are a few public options, Twin Buttes, State Park, San Angelo University. On the "free" state parks- how is the hunting? Someone said super crowded. On the University, I think it costs $1500, there are a few photos but how is the actual?
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 03/13/21 02:54 AM

my time spent here is its better from mid December till New Year when every one else is busy watching football.
Posted By: OldRemi69

Re: Caddo National Grasslands WMA?t - 08/08/22 10:15 PM

I went a couple of years ago and it was just crawling with hunters. I went on the last week (middle of the week too) of rifle deer season thinking/hoping it'd be better but I still saw a lot of people there. AND .. the horse trails attracted A LOT of horseflies. I'm talking my vehicle was being swarmed. I saw some does, but I didn't have my doe permit for public land. One day I'd love to go back, but it might be best if I didn't go solo.

Best of luck to you, I know your post is old but still had to respond.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum