Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone ever seen this before?

Posted By: txtrophy85

Anyone ever seen this before? - 02/27/21 08:40 PM

Burning brush piles yesterday at the Ranchito and was walking down a trail between piles.

Came across this scrape that apparently had just been freshened up. Bucks are starting to drop antlers where we are and both bucks and does are in large groups. Haven’t seen a deer chase a doe since thanksgiving week.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Anyone ever seen this before? - 02/27/21 10:59 PM

Community scrape. Probably not a rut scrape.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Anyone ever seen this before? - 02/28/21 06:50 PM

I don't know much about scrapes but I see scrapes most of the year...don't know if they are necessarily seasonal. I see 25 to 30 around my blind and refreshed daily on most. I also see different bucks making a scrape in the exact same place...some big ones some small ones but normally I see the same buck on the same scrape. Like I say...haven't studied up or researched them. However I always thought a big buck might make a large scrape ....small bucks may make small scrapes and will have branches above the scrapes waked . Also licking branches close by. If anyone has info would like your input...if you don't know ...still would like your input.lol
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anyone ever seen this before? - 02/28/21 11:01 PM

I have seen stuff like, but no rhyme or reason, it is like there is a mineral in the ground they are trying to get.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone ever seen this before? - 03/02/21 03:13 PM

I have seen a few scrapes year round on various ranches in several regions. In your area, you are seeing rutting due to doe fawns starting to cycle this late in the season. Not uncommon at all and actually more people are seeing it due the fact they are on their properties more. IME communal scrapes in the Hill Country are very large in size and in an open area downwind about 50-100 yards from a feeder, water source or food plot. Found many sheds in communal scrapes over the years. They are used year after year. Now your prevailing winds and check downwind.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum