Texas Hunting Forum

Leon co texas

Posted By: Texas452

Leon co texas - 01/13/21 09:24 PM

I have a ranch in Leon co.
Our deer herd is looking better with more better bucks.
We try not to take more than 2 mature bucks off of about 200 acres.
We have done that but this year we could have taken more but didn’t
I know the deer came to corn better because of the lack of acorns.
The fawn survival rate was a lot higher after I had a trapper come in and trap coyotes last spring and summer the best crop we’ve had since I bought the place in 2016.
What have the rest of y’all Leon co guys been seeing?
We’re in the Flynn area
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Leon co texas - 01/14/21 01:58 PM

East of Buffalo.

Saw 7 different bucks opening day of rifle season and 12 does and fawns.. Saw 3 legal bucks during the 1st part of the season, let them walk. Up to Thanksgiving was seeing about 10 to 12 does and fawns each evening, that tapered off to 2 to 3 does and fawns at end of season each evening.

Lessors killed 2 does and no legal bucks from start of bow season to last week of youth season. Kinda of wonder how they hunt?

I spend my time killing hogs and just watch the deer.

Re: Leon co texas - 01/14/21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly
East of Buffalo.

Saw 7 different bucks opening day of rifle season and 12 does and fawns.. Saw 3 legal bucks during the 1st part of the season, let them walk. Up to Thanksgiving was seeing about 10 to 12 does and fawns each evening, that tapered off to 2 to 3 does and fawns at end of season each evening.

Lessors killed 2 does and no legal bucks from start of bow season to last week of youth season. Kinda of wonder how they hunt?

I spend my time killing hogs and just watch the deer.

Yea that’s what I do
The grandkids shoot the deer.
We’re not ran over with deer by any means but we have seen more of them later in the year this year than years before. I’m sure it because of the lack of acorns and dry fall that didn’t bring up the rye.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Leon co texas - 01/15/21 03:25 AM

I have 365 acres just east of y’all in Houston county and the story was much the same. Acorns disappeared quickly and lots of movement later in the season. I passed on a really nice buck opening day. As he finally walked off I knew I would regret it and I did. I just didn’t want my season to be over before it began. Saw several other nice deer so am optimistic about the years to come.
Posted By: Gw123

Re: Leon co texas - 01/18/21 07:24 PM

[Linked Image]

My cousin shot this 130” 9 the second week of season. Leon county has a lot of potential if the deer are able to get some age on them. We’re outside of normangee and always see 3-4 does and 2-4 does a sit. Weee about two miles from the river bottom and our best hunting is always when they open the damn on lake limestone and the river bottom floods pushing deer our way.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Leon co texas - 01/18/21 07:49 PM

The best deer come from the river bottoms.

Re: Leon co texas - 01/19/21 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gw123
[Linked Image]

My cousin shot this 130” 9 the second week of season. Leon county has a lot of potential if the deer are able to get some age on them. We’re outside of normangee and always see 3-4 does and 2-4 does a sit. Weee about two miles from the river bottom and our best hunting is always when they open the damn on lake limestone and the river bottom floods pushing deer our way.

That’s a nice deer.
My grandchildren took 2 nice bucks this year. I haven’t learned how to post pictures yet.
It’s nice to let legal bucks walk later in the season.
We seen several while trying to get a big “dagger “ spike out of the herd. He’s a huge deer with about a13” straight up spike on one side and a long sweeping spike on the other.
We never seen him while hunting.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Leon co texas - 01/19/21 11:04 PM

Nice one sir
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum