Texas Hunting Forum

Live from the King Ranch

Posted By: RedSnake

Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 07:36 PM

Our name finally came up on the list after 6-7 years of waiting.

Drove down last night and are doing a cull/management hunt on the Norias Division. Saw quite a few deer this am and some really nice bucks. Beautiful country and feel blessed to get to be on such an iconic ranch.

Headed to town for a quick bite then back at it this pm

Stay tuned....
Posted By: Chaseh

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 07:40 PM

Love that place! Good luck.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 07:40 PM

Sweet! cheers for a successful hunt!
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 07:42 PM

Hunted the Norias division about 20 years ago on a spring turkey/Nilgai hunt. Had a blast even though didn't kill anything. We had a guy strike out on his own scouting out a place to turkey hunt and got lost- we spent all of that day looking for him before he was found.

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 08:32 PM

Rut is still going on fairly strong. Quite a few busted up bucks. Didn’t see a single doe that didn’t have one or more bucks on her. This morning the nilgai were everywhere too. Seems like we could drive a 1/4 mile without seeing one.

Weather is beautiful and about to head back out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 08:38 PM

Enjoy,
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 08:42 PM

Post pics sir

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 08:42 PM

Pulling back into the King.

[Linked Image]

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/08/21 11:51 PM

Buck down! Snakes on the scoreboard. 8pt with a kicker. 130ish.

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 12:16 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 12:31 AM

Nice!!!

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 12:34 AM

Buck #2 down! Details to follow
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by RedSnake
Buck #2 down! Details to follow

What took you guys so long? grin
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 12:59 AM

clap
Posted By: Erny

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 01:08 AM

Very nice buck. Waiting on pictures of #2.
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 01:11 AM

popcorn

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 01:14 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 01:19 AM

greattttttttttttttttttt

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 01:24 AM

Limited reception. Full play by play to follow later. Great day. Great ranch.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 02:11 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 02:17 AM

Good times.

Love that place.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 02:32 AM

Outstanding, I’m jealous but proud you guys are getting it done!!
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 02:59 AM

Congrats!!! What a beautiful place to hunt!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 03:00 AM

Glad it is a good time
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 04:25 AM

Brutes!!! Congrats looking forward to the write up.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 03:13 PM

Nice. Was this the Management hunt?
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 03:44 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Robspinn

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 07:17 PM

awesome
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 07:44 PM

Outstanding and congrats cheers
Looking forward to the hunt details for each up
Posted By: LCSmith

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 08:00 PM

cheers texas
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/09/21 11:34 PM

Congrats on the 2 bucks! Had to be a great trip for you.
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/10/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
Congrats!!! What a beautiful place to hunt!

Re: Live from the King Ranch **Updated** - 01/10/21 03:55 AM

We had a great experience hunting the King Ranch. I had got my name on the list back in 2014 and told them I was interested in coming for a cull, management, or a trophy hunt — score was not necessarily as important to me as getting a chance to see and experience a historic ranch and walk away with a mature buck. I got the call this past fall that my name had come up and that they had an opening for me and my business partner Snake. Was given a few options on dates and booked it.

Cull hunts are one day hunts per hunter and do not include any meals or lodging. It is my understanding that is not the case with management bucks and certainly not the case with trophy hunts, which apparently take a very long time to move up the list (if ever). We were told culls are 5.5/6.5 year old 8 or 9 points grossing <130 or an old 10 pt 7.5 years+.
They were very strict on their field judging and age estimation. If a buck was borderline, the buck got the benefit of the doubt. The truck is finding a cull that is nice but not too nice. Needless to say due to amazing genetics and strict management plan, there are not a ton of options, but we did see over a dozen or more bucks that fit the criteria. We save too many to count young bucks and numerous bucks 140-150. Biggest buck we saw was a 160 class clean 6x6 that was simply gorgeous.

Snake and I made the 9 hour drive down from DFW on Thursday and stayed at the Holiday Inn in Raymondville as we were going to be hunting the Norias Division, the southernmost of the King. We met our guide Steve at the Norias Gate at 6am. After introductions, waiver signing etc we loaded up. Hunting is conducted by truck — driving the ranch roads, glassing, and few opportunities of getting out and spot and stalking. We did not hunt in blinds, over feeders, or over corned roads/senderos.

Snake was the shooter for the first day and I was an observer/spotter. Only he was allowed to bring a rifle and I rode in the back seat. We started off in the West Saltillo pasture just east of Norias HQ at first light. Came across an amazing looking heavy horned 9 pt but he was prob in the 140s so he got the pass. We drove throughout that pasture which was fairly open with tall grass, live oak motts and scattered mesquites. I unfortunately didn’t bring the charger for my good camera and was stuck with just using my iPhone.

[Linked Image]

A few acorns were still dropping from the oaks and the majority of deer were said to be held up in the more densely treed pastures to the east so we then moved on to the East Saltillo and Frijol Pastures where we began seeing more and more deer. Bucks were on does and could care less when we rolled up on them. Nilgai were around every corner and rutting hard as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A small cull we came across in the oaks and a management 10 pt at a feeder

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We spotted a nice 9 pt deep in the oaks so we got out to put a stalk on him. We wove our way thru for a couple hundred yards but couldn’t get a clean shot and he slipped away.

[Linked Image]

We came across 5 bucks feeding under some oaks and Snake picked the one that he liked. He connected and dropped him with his 280ai — a 100 yd shot needles through the oaks. He taped out in the mid 120s.

[Linked Image]

Because Snake tagged out early, they let my “1 day” hunt start with that afternoon and the following morning if necessary. We headed back to the East Saltillo and Frijol given the numbers of bucks we had seen earlier. We saw a few more smaller culls that were nothing special. Then we came around a bend in the road and saw my buck about 200 yds out. I got out of truck but before I could get positioned, he moved off into the brush. We set off on foot and stalked into the thick Live Oaks. Again, the trees were so thick that we couldn’t get a clear shot. After bumping him a couple times and a couple hundred yards, the buck doubled back slowly in the direction of the road. We skirted around him and got back to the road before he did. We spotted him about 150 yds away on the edge of the road which gave me time to get prone in the middle of the road snd wait for him to step out in the open. He did. Took my shot with my 280ai at about 130 yds. He went about 50 yds and piled up. He scored roughly 125.

[Linked Image]

Overall an amazing experience. Our guide was professional, courteous, knowledgeable, and a great guide. Every aspect was highly organized. I highly recommend doing this hunt.

Posted By: TLew

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/10/21 04:06 AM

Thank you for the recap. That’s an awesome experience, and while I have a tinge of envy, I’m 100x more excited for you to have been able to do it. I hope you shoulder mount those for the stories!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/10/21 04:11 AM

Thanks for the hunt recap, sounds like you guys had an awesome time hunting great deer country up
Congrats again to you two cheers
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/10/21 08:18 PM

cheers
Posted By: Judd

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/10/21 11:21 PM

Very cool, heck of a trip.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/11/21 12:21 AM

From someone who knows, awesomeness right there.

Did you see any dunes?
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/11/21 01:34 PM

Congrats on two really nice 'cull bucks' and a great hunt.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/11/21 02:29 PM

hoping to get a nilgai late this year!!

beautiful country
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/11/21 10:04 PM

Well done on all accounts!
Posted By: SB9969

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 01:07 AM

Great pics and story. Thanks for sharing. This was awesome to see and read.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 01:28 AM

Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 01:36 AM

That’s awesome!! What historic ranch are you hunting next year?
Posted By: freerange

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 03:18 AM

yeah, didnt he hunt the Waggoner last year(or before?)

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
yeah, didnt he hunt the Waggoner last year(or before?)

Yes, I admire the heck out of it. Think it’s really cool.

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Haha. Right?! Definitely been on some cool ranches the last few years.

I’m open to suggestions for next time, amigo!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 03:38 AM

http://melloncreekoutfitters.com/

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

http://melloncreekoutfitters.com/

Looks like a great place
Posted By: raiderJ

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 04:21 AM

Great read, thanks for sharing

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 04:39 AM

I think I’d like to hunt tlk’s ranch next year. His deer may be better than the King and the Waggoner.

I’m happy to volunteer to make a site visit and ground check a buck or two popcorn
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 03:43 PM

That is awesome. My first quail and deer hunting experience was on the king. I was supposed to go to South Dakota on my first pheasant hunt but my uncle had backed out on me again. I was only 13 and my mom had found a dr and his son from Utah (I believe) through the Dallas Times Herald that offered for me to join them on their quail hunt. All I had to do was get to the airport and they would take me from there. Pretty crazy how times have changed. My mom dropped me off at love field with my shotgun, and clothes to meet a couple strangers.

I wish I remembered their names or even the part of the ranch that I was on because I would reach out and thank them for the life long memories. Also pretty cool to hunt the same section of the ranch that President Bush Senior hunted himself. Now I want a nilghai bull.

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ijohnston
That is awesome. My first quail and deer hunting experience was on the king. I was supposed to go to South Dakota on my first pheasant hunt but my uncle had backed out on me again. I was only 13 and my mom had found a dr and his son from Utah (I believe) through the Dallas Times Herald that offered for me to join them on their quail hunt. All I had to do was get to the airport and they would take me from there. Pretty crazy how times have changed. My mom dropped me off at love field with my shotgun, and clothes to meet a couple strangers.

I wish I remembered their names or even the part of the ranch that I was on because I would reach out and thank them for the life long memories. Also pretty cool to hunt the same section of the ranch that President Bush Senior hunted himself. Now I want a nilghai bull.

That’s really cool. Great memories for sure!

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/12/21 08:44 PM

I think I’d like to hunt tlk’s ranch next year. His deer may be better than the King and the Waggoner.

I’m happy to volunteer to make a site visit and ground check a buck or two popcorn

I vote 06, time to head west
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/13/21 02:48 AM

Great story and pics. I hunted there about 22 years ago on Spring Turkey hunt with Jarred Peoples on a archery hunt. I believe the same section you were on. Never saw so many animals. I harvested a Javalina,gobbler and hog before 4 pm the first day. Found a ton of sheds to boot. Congrats cheers
Posted By: BubRay

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/13/21 02:53 AM

Awesome hunt. Congrats

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/13/21 03:36 AM

I vote 06, time to head west

Aught Six in Colorado? I’ve had my eye on that for a while. I like those jay scott podcasts.
Posted By: J. Richard

Re: Live from the King Ranch - 01/13/21 10:11 PM

cheers Congrats!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum