Texas Hunting Forum

PROTEIN FEEDERS

Posted By: DLALLDER

PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/24/20 01:31 AM

For those that have had actual experience with protein feeders, which one is the best buy for the money? I am not looking for 1000 lb rig but more interested in a 300-400 lb feeder. Please give me your opinion. Thanks Daniel
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/24/20 01:51 AM

You can also buy a kit, and turn it into a spincast feeder...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/24/20 02:14 AM

Hard to beat the old All Season 300# protein feeder.
https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/collections/protein-feeders/products/300lb-protein-feeder
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/24/20 02:16 AM

I’m a All Seasons guy. They have a 500 lb stand and fill that is worth a look. Just bought the 1250 stand and fill going out first week of Jan. Used their 1000k Evo for years. Great product.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/24/20 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

This is a good one. Cattle got into feed pen and had their way with it, put it back together and filled it up, no issues. Same thing with ASF broadcast feeders, pretty tough.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/24/20 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

This is a good one. Cattle got into feed pen and had their way with it, put it back together and filled it up, no issues. Same thing with ASF broadcast feeders, pretty tough.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/24/20 10:07 AM

Not a fan of that All Seasons unit. They clog when it is foggy. In addition, you still have to get up high to fill them. Consider these barrel feeders from Texas Hunter. They fill from the ground, hold back against caking well and if you want to double your capacity, just buy another feeder. I ran a set of them for fifteen plus years.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ed Jr.

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 04:14 AM

I think the proper description of those things are a "Deer Baiter"......for all those that Snipe deer and not really hunt.

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 04:22 AM

And I surmise there is a condescending point to your comment? Certainly would hope those of us who choose to utilize protein feeders could be fortunate enough to hunt like you.

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 04:22 AM

Geez
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 04:38 AM

The insecurity is strong with this one. Flash in the pan that'll move on soon. welcome and adios.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 04:44 AM

He must have gotten a bad batch of crayons, poor Jarhead. salute
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
For those that have had actual experience with protein feeders, which one is the best buy for the money? I am not looking for 1000 lb rig but more interested in a 300-400 lb feeder. Please give me your opinion. Thanks Daniel

When deer are hammering the protein in the first half of the year, depending on your deer numbers, they can empty even a 500lb feeder in a hurry. I think you also need to decide are you using protein to build better deer or just another feed per se. The best buy for the money (size) needs to consider the number of deer visiting, your proximity to said feeder to refill and your objective with it.

I use a 600lb Lamco Timed Trough feeder that I can set and know how long the feed will last vs free choice and turn off when they're not eating protein. The downside is it uses troughs, which need to be cleaned and can become a stinky mess with an untimely rain and/or the rain sensor failing. I'm neither recommending it or advising against it. I think down south or west with less rain, it's an excellent choice.

I also have (unused right now) a 250# Boss Buck.

As a general statement, IMHO, unless you live where you hunt... a 300-400lb protein feeder is too small.

Charlie
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 11:56 AM

All free choice here, with 3 big ones and one little Texas Hunter one like pictured above. Low fence, feeding for Wildlife Valuation (property taxes). Going into just my second year, I'm not starting again 'til the weather dries out in late May except for one, well-vented one that I try to keep going all year. It's just not worth the hassle with the clogging.

On those little ones, at least here, they can empty it in just a few days. If you do go that small, put "shark teeth" on the legs to try and slow down the 'coons.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Jr.
I think the proper description of those things are a "Deer Baiter"......for all those that Snipe deer and not really hunt.

Sure hope you don't hunt with a gun. Get you a bow and then try to get a mature buck in range in East Texas. Good luck.
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 02:41 PM

I personally just bought a 1250# low profile ASF feeder (only holds about 1000# protein) two days ago $850.00----it is small enough to fit in the back of a pick up truck and can be filled be when standing on the ground although I do use a short ladder to pour protein.

BUT since you asked for opinion on a smaller feeder, I would go with the ASF 500# protein feeder (it holds only 400# protein) $550 OR Boss Bucks 300# feeder $400.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 02:48 PM

I used the smaller ones, and there was simply too much time needed to keep them going. Frequent fills, clogging, ect. I bought 3 2klb all seasons and never looked back. Best investment i've made at the ranch. They do sell a timed feed 600lb stand and fill as well. That may be a better option.
Posted By: JCB

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 03:06 PM

You ain’t even been here a month but you are making a magnificent run for forum idiot of the year.
Posted By: Judd

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by JCB

You ain’t even been here a month but you are making a magnificent run for forum idiot of the year.

Well articulated.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 05:19 PM

Make you one. I bought one like this and we made 2 more like it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/28/20 10:21 PM

You are in the wrong place, Bud.

Texas doesn't want or need any condescending elitists to approve or disapprove of how a grown man chooses to legally hunt.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/30/20 03:28 AM

When you use 300-400 pound feeders you will have to live close to feed it every other week once they start eating it good. If you live far away you would be better off getting a 2000# feeder. The small ones are a waste of time and money if your not there to keep them full if you have a lot of deer on your property.
Posted By: WRBCGuru

Re: PROTEIN FEEDERS - 12/30/20 04:21 AM

Your best results will come from any feeder with tube down spouts. Deer are paranoid from the get-go so they like to be able to see what is going on around them while they grab a bite.

And Ed Jr., You're an idiot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum