Texas Hunting Forum

Same deer?

Posted By: tlk

Same deer? - 12/19/20 02:58 AM

Bottom pic is of a deer on trail cam 3-4 years ago. Top pic is a deer we shot this year. Same deer?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 03:05 AM

My uneducated guess is Yes
Posted By: b weezy

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 03:09 AM

I would say yes
Posted By: freerange

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 03:13 AM

I would assume so but I feel like this may be a loaded question. It wouldnt surprise me that yall have a couple running around like that.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 03:13 AM

Yes.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 03:26 AM

Unless you got a lot of deer with three mains, I would quickly say yes based on that alone
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 03:27 AM

Brows are like finger prints and finger prints don’t change so I’ll say no

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 12:38 PM

Not a trick question. I went back this morning and found the date the bottom pic was taken - Sept 2015 - so if he was only 3-4 in that pic (which he looks older than that in the pic) that would have put him at 8-9 this year when he was shot. Possible since we have had deer that age before but when we checked his teeth it appeared to be a 6-7 year old. Will be interested to see what the lab says on his age.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 12:46 PM

Were the two pics in the same feed pen or close to each other. The age, the mainframe points, browtines and right beam do not match up that well. The left beam and the location of the 3rd beam are a close match. 3rd beam caused by injury is not that common.

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 01:26 PM

Were the two pics in the same feed pen or close to each other. The age, the mainframe points, browtines and right beam do not match up that well. The left beam and the location of the 3rd beam are a close match. 3rd beam caused by injury is not that common.[/quote]

I would say from where the lower feeder picture was taken to the area the deer was shot this year is 1/2 a mile at the most. So pretty much the same area - we have a picture from last year of the buck without the 3rd beam - I don't know if a beam like that would come and go year to year
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 01:27 PM

I think so

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Were the two pics in the same feed pen or close to each other. The age, the mainframe points, browtines and right beam do not match up that well. The left beam and the location of the 3rd beam are a close match. 3rd beam caused by injury is not that common.

I would say from where the lower feeder picture was taken to the area the deer was shot this year is 1/2 a mile at the most. So pretty much the same area - we have a picture from last year of the buck without the 3rd beam - I don't know if a beam like that would come and go year to year[/quote]
IME with a 3rd beam...they usually grow in the same location each year. What changes with them is that they break off easily during when they rub off the velvet or fight. That could change how or if they grow the next year. I saw a buck with a 3rd beam (caribou like shovel) in the middle of his skull cap for 2 yrs in La Salle county. I thought he was 5 the last year and then he disappeared. I got a phone call from a friend on the ranch and said that had killed a buck that had 3rd beam and he was very old. I found an old TC pic(35mm to boot) of him from when I had seen him. It appeared to be the same buck since the beam location was the same, so that put him at 10+ yrs old. He was not seen for 5 yrs. My guess is he broke off that 3rd beam each year and was not recognized. At that age he had learned how to avoid been seen.

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 05:53 PM

All very interesting stuff. I certainly dont have enough experience with third beams to know if they would regrow or not. Being easier to break off makes sense.
tlk, when you say you have a pic from last year of him without the third beam, im curious if he looked a lot like this year or if he had any similarities to the other earlier year. Of course it would be great to see last years pic. And can you tell last year if it could of been broke off?

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 07:32 PM

First pic is early this year

Second is him last year and we never could see where anything was broken off

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 08:11 PM

Definitely looks like something going on where the beam would be coming out on last years pic.

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 08:13 PM

He tried to grow the beam it was just very small last year. Did he break the left beam off last year? That may have caused him to grow the larger 3rd beam this year.
[Linked Image]

Re: Same deer? - 12/19/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
He tried to grow the beam it was just very small last year. Did he break the left beam off last year? That may have caused him to grow the larger 3rd beam this year.
[Linked Image]

not that we were aware of
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum