Texas Hunting Forum

2021 Food plot steps

Posted By: Jlambe

2021 Food plot steps - 12/17/20 05:14 PM

I know there is a bunch of information on food plots out there and on this forum but I wanted to see if my mind is right on these steps and this is a right way to go about it. I also saw the post before this one talking East Texas food plots but I wanted to share the method I am thinking besides just go plant this.

I have gained access to 20 acres that butts up to Army Corps land in East Texas and I am planning on doing a 1.5-2 acre food plot that I plan to bowhunt all season long. The land has never been planted before and was a hayfield a long time ago but these are steps I was thinking. This area of land is always damp or really wet after it rains and there are parts of this field that always stays wet. So I am little worried about seed being water logged.

My steps for a 2021 food plot:

No Till Food plot, " only equipment I have is a tractor with a disc ", food plot is small enough for me to hand seed and use a backpack spray rig

1st step: Gather soil to be analyzed: "where is the best way to do this?"
2nd step: add the necessary nutrients determine by the soil analysis
3rd step: March- May: 2-3 sessions of Glyphosate to kill the weeds and wild grasses
4th step: end of June- 1st of July: plant Buckwheat seed and fertilize
5th step: end of August-1st of September- plant a mixture of Clover, Winter Rye, winter peas then knock down the buckwheat to add cover and nutrients
6th step: October-November: 1-2 times spread Rye grass to layer it in.

I would think the first year is about killing weeds and controlling the natural grass. My plan is to get it under control then in year 2 and so on, I don't have to weed kill as much and my clover will come up every spring and the buckweat will keep adding nutrients down the road.

What do yall think on these steps?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: 2021 Food plot steps - 12/17/20 05:34 PM

I got a start picking up a few trailer loads of composted horse manure. I'll start spreading it this weekend and in two weeks disc it in. I will also get some rabbit and chicken manure for my vegetable garden soil and start prepping it for a late winter crop of mustards, collards and spinach.
Posted By: Jlambe

Re: 2021 Food plot steps - 12/17/20 06:34 PM

I guess getting the soil analyzed first will be ideal
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: 2021 Food plot steps - 12/18/20 12:37 AM

Not doing it Too many pigs to root it up.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: 2021 Food plot steps - 12/18/20 01:54 AM

I sent my soil samples to Texas A&M - they provide a good analysis of the soil compensation and provide recommendations for fertilizing. Very cost-effective too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum