Texas Hunting Forum

6th Generation gets a buck

Posted By: KennyLee

6th Generation gets a buck - 11/28/20 03:02 AM

So, after a couple years of trying, my daughter finally took a buck off our old family place. She makes the 6th generation to use the land and I can only guess that her great-great-great grandfather hunted the land when he lived on it back in the 1800’s.

Made me wonder how unique that might be. I’d think few families hold on to land that long.

While trying for specific bucks the last couple of years I decided this year we’d take the first legal buck that presented a shot. He wasn’t legal by much and was pretty young, but he’ll eat good and she couldn’t be more proud. I don’t put my kids pictures on the internet so no pics this time around.

Anyone else have a generational property they hunt?
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/28/20 03:03 AM

Sounds fun , congrats
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/28/20 03:23 AM

Awesome... Congrats to your daughter up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/28/20 02:01 PM

Congrats to your daughter! up
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/28/20 03:22 PM

That’s great KL congrats to her and to your family
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/28/20 03:24 PM

First generation here, but I do know the families, all cousins, that owned it since the 1860s. Some of my neighbors are multi-generational. Gonna' be tougher to hold on to as time goes by. Younger generation would rather cash out and party than do the hard work that it takes to hold on to the place. Why, in my day we didn't have Nintendo, we played with dirt. And we didnt have any of those gosh darn latex condoms. We used 'cat- gut' on our dinks, and we liked it that way, yeah....... Congratulations to your daughter, Kenny.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/29/20 03:29 PM

Congratulations to your daughter.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/29/20 06:38 PM

cheers
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/29/20 06:43 PM

Congratulations. The only thing that could make the event any greater would be for her to take a deer with a rifle that dates back at least a couple generations as well.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/29/20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Congrats to your daughter! up
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/30/20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Congratulations. The only thing that could make the event any greater would be for her to take a deer with a rifle that dates back at least a couple generations as well.

That would be cool
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/30/20 02:26 PM

cheers up
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 11/30/20 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
First generation here, but I do know the families, all cousins, that owned it since the 1860s. Some of my neighbors are multi-generational. Gonna' be tougher to hold on to as time goes by. Younger generation would rather cash out and party than do the hard work that it takes to hold on to the place. Why, in my day we didn't have Nintendo, we played with dirt. And we didnt have any of those gosh darn latex condoms. We used 'cat- gut' on our dinks, and we liked it that way, yeah....... Congratulations to your daughter, Kenny.

Well that got strange real quick.
Posted By: HS2

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 12/02/20 06:35 AM

I currently own land that my ancestors owned since the mid-1800s. They got land grants form the republic of Texas, but sold that and bought half the county sometime around the civil war. It all got split up and sold long before I came along, so I had to buy it back, and I’ve only got a piece of what they had, but what I own now was owned by my republic of Texas ancestors. Shot a hog on it last Saturday. My descendants will inherit it.

I also own a shotgun that my other great grandfather brought to Texas in the 1890s.
Posted By: Stub

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 12/02/20 11:50 AM

6th generation that is awesome, I bet there is some interesting history to be told up
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 12/02/20 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by HS2
I currently own land that my ancestors owned since the mid-1800s. They got land grants form the republic of Texas, but sold that and bought half the county sometime around the civil war. It all got split up and sold long before I came along, so I had to buy it back, and I’ve only got a piece of what they had, but what I own now was owned by my republic of Texas ancestors. Shot a hog on it last Saturday. My descendants will inherit it.

I also own a shotgun that my other great grandfather brought to Texas in the 1890s.

That is very cool, particularly the shotgun.

I don’t have an exact date but it was sometime between 1870-1880 for ours. It was once a much larger property but I’m sure some got split as it passed down. My grandfather became the patriarch of the family when he was only 19 in the early 1930’s. He had to sell off quite a bit to survive and take care of his mother and siblings but we still own what was “the home place”.

I’ve got a buddy who bought back a portion of what was a Spanish land grant Colina that his ancestors originally owned in the 1700’s down in the valley. I’ve always love history like that.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 12/02/20 01:26 PM

this is really cool and something to be proud of sir.

and a big congrats to her!
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: 6th Generation gets a buck - 12/02/20 04:25 PM

Congrats amigo
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum