Texas Hunting Forum

Quick Question

Posted By: PoppaG22

Quick Question - 11/26/20 07:00 AM

Currently chasing a monster in a bow only county. I've been dropping bags of corn because I don't think the deer in this area (mature bucks at least) really like feeders much at all. Problem is I have 4 different sounders of 20 plus pigs that will pick up all the corn i drop overnight whether it's one bag or 6 bags. He'll come around if the pigs haven't for 2 or 3 days, but when they're hitting it every night like they are now he seems to just be pushed off it completely.

Besides the fact that i'd be banging on t-posts in November, do you guys think building a feed pen would be the play here? The big buck has been hitting corn but when the hogs show up every night he gets pushed off. I think this would help, but if he's already been hitting a corn pile and all the sudden theres a feed pen around it, is that going to throw him off?

I know i'm overthinking it, but if y'all saw the deer you'd understand.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Quick Question - 11/26/20 07:16 AM

Sounds like you don’t have much to lose. Without the pen your chances are greatly reduced. Give it a shot.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Quick Question - 11/26/20 12:40 PM

Sounds like he's worth the cost of hog panels, t posts and a little work. I can tell you from experience that long term it will be cheaper than feeding all that corn to the hogs.

Just make sure you build it big enough. usually 10 -12 16ft panels will do.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Quick Question - 11/26/20 03:04 PM

Good luck
Posted By: freerange

Re: Quick Question - 11/26/20 03:16 PM

First of all, you are not overthinking it. Theres no such thing when it comes to a big buck(to me anyway.) My favorite thing to do is think and thats our main advantage over a WT. Killing a big WT is all about being on the right property, whole lot about luck and then usually about minor details. I have not been in this situation and Im not sure, but I would say build the pen,
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Quick Question - 11/26/20 03:25 PM

You could prob build it with half height panels too, something to keep the hogs from getting in initially but still allowing a good archery shot.

Do it and show some pics when you ground check this guy
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Quick Question - 11/26/20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by HWY72
Sounds like he's worth the cost of hog panels, t posts and a little work. I can tell you from experience that long term it will be cheaper than feeding all that corn to the hogs.

Just make sure you build it big enough. usually 10 -12 16ft panels will do.

This a good luck.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Quick Question - 11/26/20 08:03 PM

Corn it in the evening. Corn it at 5:45 am the next morning when you arrive. Profit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum