Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone notice the rut came later this year?

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:18 PM

In my neighborhood we have a lot of deer and I notice that the rut just kicked into gear. It usually happens in the beginning of November. Are yall seeing the same thing?
Posted By: papa45

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:24 PM

It seemed to come right on time where I hunt.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:28 PM

It seems first round came early on my place and the second round is now starting up.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by papa45

Yep just started yesterday in Dickens county...... I remember Thanksgiving being the time when I hunted around Comstock and Big Lake....
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:29 PM

Was pretty spot on in southern OK. Very typical to see doe not follow all the same cycle pattern and some hot ones will be around for several weeks. esp if ratios are all out of whack, a second (or third) estrus cycle can occur if not all the doe were bred the first time through.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:33 PM

A week earlier than normal for me. Opening weekend usually doesn't have the rut started, but it did this year
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:33 PM

Haven't been in two weeks flame

but ours never seems to kick off till Christmas.

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:40 PM

Well hell. I went back to my buck chasing doe pics from last year and they were all from the beginning of November. In the last 5 days or so I've seen 3 bucks chasing. This morning there was a young buck at the gate to the subdivision, he was locked onto a doe. He didn't care that cars were driving by. We only see doe until the rut kicks off then they come out from the golf course, and greenbelts. Just an observation, nothing scientific.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Red, you are South Tx right. Thats always way later than most rest of state. East Tx(north at least) is earlier than most of state like early Nov or earlier ive heard. NW Tx seems closer to mid Nov for most. Personally I dont think the timing of peak breeding varies much at all. You just dont notice it for various reasons and a big reason can be warmer weather can push it more to night.

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Yep just started yesterday in Dickens county...... I remember Thanksgiving being the time when I hunted around Comstock and Big Lake....

Yep, Dec is the month to be hunting down in the Comstock area.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 05:00 PM

Yep, started getting heavy around here a couple days ago. Big boys coming out of hiding. Seeing new bucks and a couple of big ones.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 05:18 PM

Rut was same as last 21 yrs in TX Panhandle where we've been hunting whitetails. Buddy's killed a 152" and 163" bucks.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by redchevy

Red, you are South Tx right. Thats always way later than most rest of state. East Tx(north at least) is earlier than most of state like early Nov or earlier ive heard. NW Tx seems closer to mid Nov for most. Personally I dont think the timing of peak breeding varies much at all. You just dont notice it for various reasons and a big reason can be warmer weather can push it more to night.

Yes we are generally later than a lot of the state.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 05:51 PM

At your house, it's the second rut
Posted By: Big8

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 10:05 PM

I didn’t see any chasing until last weekend, so a little late for me. I generally see a second rut in December and have shot several nice deer following does around Christmas. I don’t see how I would have missed the first rut but...
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 10:12 PM

My sister and BIL are hunting in North OK this week. They said that they have seen a ton of deer chasing. That is all they have seen. Deer chasing non-stop. They haven't been able to take a shot because the deer won't stand still for even a second. They have bleated, grunted, rattled and even yelled at them. I'll be headed up Friday.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 11:12 PM

What rut???? I saw no signs of ruttin in Coke county
Posted By: JCB

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by TiggerV
What rut???? I saw no signs of ruttin in Coke county

It’s pretty much over for Coke. I am in stand now and just watched a 4 year old 8 feed side by side with 8 Does and he never checked them.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 11:49 PM

The rut is on right now where I have been hunting. Logged 19 hunts (3hour sit minimum) so far seen 1 doe a couple of spikes and one 4 point. I consider that a RUT #1
Posted By: don k

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/24/20 11:58 PM

We have not really had a real rut this year.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/25/20 12:27 AM

Ours started right on top about 2 days ago. We are always last week of Nov and first week of Dec. southern panhandle
Posted By: Hook-Em

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/25/20 12:48 AM

Right on time on my places in Mills county. It's always within a week are so of Thanksgiving.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/25/20 01:15 AM

Nope, right on time here... I was about a month ahead of the deer. grin

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/25/20 08:22 AM

I saw another buck chasing a doe tonight.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/25/20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

^^^^^^ for does that haven't been bred yet^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/25/20 10:48 PM

I shot a nice 10 point opening day. It had the tip of one antler broken off.

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/26/20 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by HWY72
Originally Posted by Hudbone

^^^^^^ for does that haven't been bred yet^^^^^^^^^^

I find it hard to believe I missed the first one.

When the rut is on, its easy to tell.

Tonight I saw a buck inside the fence of an apartment complex with three doe. The only reason I noticed was because eight doe on the outside of the fence were all looking in his direction.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/26/20 03:02 PM

Same for the area I hunt in Houston County. The late start of the General Season meant catching the last few days of it. The General Season usually begins closer to November 1st rather than the November 7th we were given this year. IMO, those few days matter a lot when you consider how all the breeding occurs over just a few days. The chase phase always begins in late October in much of East Texas. An October 31st start would have been much better. I wouldn't be surprised if harvest numbers are down this year because of the late start.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Anyone notice the rut came later this year? - 11/26/20 05:29 PM

Peak of the rut comes same time every time here. Been here 22 years and it's always the same, weather might make them move a little more or less, but it's always the same.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum