Texas Hunting Forum

Deer body condition

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Deer body condition - 11/23/20 10:44 AM

We shot a couple of 130 class bucks on my place opening weekend that went about 140 pounds on my scales. What surprises me is the body condition. Last year we had a lot of rain, a massive acorn crop and saw dang near no deer of any kind. They didn't even come to corn, didn't move around much and we wound up shooting a bunch of hogs. They just didn't have to move. This year, no acorns, just some browse and not all that much of it. Every deer I see is in great shape. Even the does we see are about 25% larger than last year.

I've owned the place, just South of Bowie, for about 40 years and haven't seen this for a long time.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Deer body condition - 11/23/20 11:28 AM

Same here in Palo Pinto County. I have never seen the deer with this much fat on them
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer body condition - 11/23/20 11:51 AM

Same here...but deer came out of winter this year in better shape than any year in a while. Spring was average here for rainfall but the forbs and browse were excellent due to all that winter moisture. The mast crop last year lasted longer than other years also. Lot of things came together to make for a great year.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer body condition - 11/23/20 02:58 PM

I agree with Dave. This year has been phenomenal for deer sightings.. Last year it was like aliens had come and beamed up all the deer. I've seen numbers of deer every sit, highly unusual around here. I've been watching two nice bucks this morning harassing my doe. Both were shooters. It's too much fun watching them to shoot one, at least right now. I'll probably regret it after the rut is over and we get some rainfall. That's when our bucks disappear.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Deer body condition - 11/24/20 09:52 PM

Same
Leon co and Coleman co
Hardly any acorns in Leon co very unusual
Mesquite in Coleman no beans
Posted By: freerange

Re: Deer body condition - 11/25/20 01:36 AM

Our deer have been in good body condition for the last few years. Weve just had enough rain at the right times its seems.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Deer body condition - 11/25/20 01:41 AM

Leon County, no acorns.

The does I am seeing are in poor shape, you can see their ribs.
Posted By: SB9969

Re: Deer body condition - 11/26/20 02:13 AM

On our place in Coryell they seem bigger and fatter than normal. No acorns here either. Surprised how nice they all seem to be body wise
Posted By: bowassin

Re: Deer body condition - 12/02/20 05:12 AM

Same in shackleford co
More healthy bucks than ever but hardly any does
Usually the other way around
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Deer body condition - 12/02/20 01:15 PM

Same thing in eastern Oklahoma where I went in late October for muzzleloader season. Had a little three point buck walk under me that I would have sworn was a big buck based on body size. He was fat, fat, fat. Never seen deer like that in the 15+ years I’ve hunted that area.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Deer body condition - 12/02/20 01:58 PM

We have taken two bucks so far this year and 3 does. The bucks are our heaviest to date on our place over the past 13 years at 195 lbs and loaded with fat. The does while not skin and bones have next to no fat. I am assuming still running a little lean from raising the fawns.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer body condition - 12/02/20 03:02 PM

I have pics of a nubbin' buck that looks like a tank. Rolls of fat around his neck. No acorns at all this year. We do feed protein and have food plots but that doesn't explain why these deer are so fat this year. We've fed protein year round for the past 5-6 years. I'm perplexed but I like it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum