Texas Hunting Forum

East Texas Public Buck

Posted By: ndhunter

East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 07:58 PM

Pretty nice Public Land Buck. What a way to start your day.

[Linked Image]

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-land-a-little-luck-and-the-15736214.php

Posted By: postoak

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 08:10 PM

As the article says, truly the buck of a lifetime!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 08:19 PM

That is a dream buck. I'd love an 8 like that.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 08:25 PM

What a buck flehan
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
That is a dream buck. I'd love an 8 like that.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 08:47 PM

I like the mass and dark color of antlers!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 08:49 PM

up
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 08:53 PM

Where big bucks often go to die of old age.

Very nice.
Posted By: Big8

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 08:54 PM

eeks333
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 09:04 PM

Wow! Dang nice buck!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 09:28 PM

What a great write up and what a great buck. 150+ 8 points are not common. Congrats to the hunter. That buck is going to make a great mount.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 09:37 PM

Mass out the azz
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 09:45 PM

Wow that’s nice
Posted By: J. Richard

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 11:31 PM

Congrats on a great Buck!
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 11:38 PM

I am on a couple of other sites that deal with East Texas hunting and one concerning the Davy Crockett Forest in particular and people are killing some outstanding bucks! This one really stood out though.
Posted By: majekman

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/18/20 11:45 PM

Unbelievable deer. My dream buck.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 12:20 AM

Very nice
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
What a great write up and what a great buck.

For sure.

The article tells the story how pure luck is often the key ingredient in deer hunting success.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by MoTex
I like the mass and dark color of antlers!
Posted By: cowie14

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 12:50 AM

up
Posted By: redhaze

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 10:58 AM

Wow!
Posted By: Stub

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 12:00 PM

Great 8 cheers
Opened the link it wants you to subscribe which I did not or go to home page which I did, could not find the article, will you copy and paste it here.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 02:45 PM

Very nice!!!

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 03:23 PM

Here you go

East Texas public land, a little luck and the deer of a lifetime
Matt Wyatt Nov. 18, 2020

A deer hunter can spend an entire existence in search of a free-ranging whitetail buck of legendary status.

Despite the time and effort, few will ever realize this dream.

Occasionally, though, fate smiles and luck triumphs in the most unlikely of ways.

That’s what happened last Tuesday when Lukey Smith strolled into Davy Crockett National Forest late one balmy morning and forever etched himself into the lore of Texas deer hunting.

That day, in those woods, he stumbled upon the deer of his life — an 8-pointer that scored 159 2/8.

Smith wasn’t even there to hunt. He was scouting for a place to hunt in Trinity County for the first time. The 38-year-old had never hunted deer in Davy Crockett National Forest. He’d only hunted raccoons there with his father back in the 1980s.

“I wasn’t hunting a big deer. I was hunting for a place to hunt big deer,” said Smith.

He’d not been seeing much at the spots he usually hunts in Polk and Angelina counties, so he thought he’d give the national forest a try with the insistence of his brother-in-law, Walter Matthews. Smith was not much of a public land hunter, but Matthews grew up hunting Davy Crockett and knows it well. And Smith was raised on the adage that when things get tough, you “gotta get down and go hunting, you just can’t keep sitting.”

So, the pair of Diboll natives drove up a forest service road and parked around 9:30 a.m. They waited until later in the morning to begin their scout as to not disrupt any fellow hunters.

Smith and Matthews trekked deep and began scouting the hardwood bottomlands. They walked around like they owned the woods and weren’t trying to be quiet. They’d sit for a while and then get up and scout around and sit back down again.

Smith was only a couple hundred yards away from Matthews when he sat down for the last time. In his safety orange shirt, he planted himself under a pine tree with a little bush in front of him. He didn’t have much cover when the biggest deer he’s ever seen popped out 40 yards from him.

The buck looked like a trophy hunter logo that’d be found on the back windshield of a truck. And it kept getting bigger in Smith’s eyes. Fortunately, over 30 years of hunting experience took over and Smith raised his .257 Roberts before the buck fever set in.

The deer was not just a beast when it came to antlers. The 5.5-year-old Pineywoods king had been hardened by time and elements. It took three rounds for Smith to bring him down. He’d later find non-lethal squirrel shot embedded in the deer’s hide.

It was a minute past noon when Smith dispatched the buck. Matthews, hearing the barrage and thinking his brother-in-law had just tore into a pack of hogs, arrived quickly and nearly “passed smooth out” as he bore witness to one of the most impressive deer harvests to ever occur on Texas public lands.

The two celebrated before realizing they were truly unprepared to harvest this deer. They’d walked all day and plunged into the depths of the Davy Crockett National Forest, further than they realized.

It took three and a half hours to drag the buck a thousand yards out of the woods. The two toiled nearly to the point of collapse. Good friend Jonathan McGuire, who grabbed a few Gatorades and burned rubber, showed up to save the day.

“That was a hell of a drag. I never want to do that again. Unless it’s a deer equal to that one,” Matthews said.

Smith took the deer to Lufkin to be scored by Adam Huggins, an official scorer for Texas Big Game Awards. Huggins tallied up the 159 2/8, including a nearly 20-inch inside spread. He, too, had never seen a bigger 8-pointer. It is one of the biggest 8-pointers ever taken off Texas public lands.

Both hunter and scorer consider the buck a testament to the effectiveness of antler restrictions. A regulation that requires harvested whitetail bucks to have a 13-inch minimum inside spread has taken deer management in Texas to a new level over the last two decades. The regulation began as an experiment in six counties in 2002 and went into effect in Trinity County in 2009.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department implemented the antler restriction to lift the age structure of bucks, tighten the rut and subsequently shorten the fawning season. Fawns have a higher survival rate from prey when most are put on the ground at the same time, improving the overall health of the herd.

For hunters, though, this has increased potential to harvest a trophy as older bucks are left on the landscape.

“The 2.5-year-old bucks that were traditionally harvested are being protected until at least 3.5. And by then they’re pretty smart and may make it to 5.5 and older,” said Bill Adams, TPWD’s Pineywoods ecosystem project leader at Alazan Bayou wildlife management area.

Smith's buck spent years taking advantage of ample habitat. Davy Crockett National Forest covers over 160,000 acres and Trinity County alone accounts for over 67,000 acres of it. The Neches River bottom provides chunks of hardwood habitat with good acorn production and food sources. When the river floods, plant succession is set back. New growth and thickets provide excellent bedding areas.

“With a little age, good groceries and good genetics, the environment can certainly produce some whoppers,” Adams said.

“Accessing river bottoms sometimes can be a challenge. So, I think a lot of those big bucks are preserved for only those few that really want to get in there and get after it.”

Smith and Matthews are among those few.

Smith was in the right place at the right time. But to say it was just blind luck would be selling him short. Smith’s been sitting under trees since he was seven and spent several years as a hunting guide. He knows what he’s doing. He knows what to look for, and he found it.

Adams added that pre-scouting with maps online and reaching out to experienced hunters in social media groups can be keys to success for those interested in hunting public lands.

The massive 8-pointer shatters stereotypes, showing what’s truly possible in East Texas and on public lands. East Texas is traditionally a challenge to deer hunters. Deer densities are generally lower than other portions of the state, while hunting pressure can be higher. Heavy acorn production can keep deer off feeders, for those hunting private land, and the thick cover can keep deer concealed.

“I don’t think there’s a critter in Texas more challenging to hunt than an East Texas whitetail,” Adams said.

Smith’s buck adds to the growing portfolio of East Texas monsters. While most will never see a deer like this, the frequency with which hunters in East Texas harvest big, mature bucks is growing.

Smith is now a full endorser of public land hunting. The buck raised the bar for not only him, but his four sons as well, and perhaps all those who’ve laid eyes on it. Matthews, without pulling a trigger, considered the hunt one of the greatest experiences of his life. Neither will ever forget it.

And it can happen to anyone.

“The chances and the possibility are always there. I’m just an old country boy from East Texas. I would have never paid $10,000 to kill that deer on a ranch. I never would have done it,” Smith said.

“I think it will change the way people view Texas public hunting lands from this point forward.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-land-a-little-luck-and-the-15736214.php
Posted By: Stub

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 04:04 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks cool story up Questions any guess on live weight and I assume you field dresses it before dragging it 1,000 yards.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 04:08 PM

Wow great buck!

The camera man must be an avid fisherman also!
Posted By: jasons

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 04:51 PM

awesome deer.
That article will help that area get more public land hunters. Ive hunted there as well as other public lands, and every year, there is more and more people goign to DCNF This year has been the worst so far. People are bumping each other a lot. Im sure some areas are less crowded, yes its public. But these articles, as well as the other ones that was published a few years ago, have caused a massive influx of people to DC. People are driving past Sam Houston, or other national forest, which also have large deer, People are just keeping it quiet. I think ts great that people are getting nice deer, I just think plastering where is un-needed and crowds an area. Im sure ill catch crap for saying it, but until you've put in effort, then have it ruined by other people, you wont understand. These articles showcase a deer, draw attention the the hunter/bragging, and then bring in a ton of people to crowd that area, my opnion.

Oh, and not to be a hypocrite, i have posted deer in the past, and where they were shot and now wish i hadnt. I have seen the effects first hand,i
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 04:57 PM

Love the mass on that one. Congratulations!
Posted By: Exiled

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/19/20 06:42 PM

A buck like that (main frame 8, with dark chocolate tines) is my absolute favorite, that's a stud!!!
Posted By: freerange

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/20/20 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Wow great buck!

The camera man must be an avid fisherman also!

Agree on the camera technique. Tremendous buck but I thought the STORY was a little over the top. Its huge for an 8 pt but there are a lot of bucks killed all over East Tx that score way more than that. Im sure Smokey Bear would tell us so but he doesnt want everybody to know. Not intending to take anything away from the hunter, the buck or public land hunting but I just think the author came across like an advertisement for the property(or a used car salesman). Congrats again to the buck and the hunter.
Posted By: majekman

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/20/20 02:58 AM

Free...I too am sure there’s lotsa bucks in ETex taken that score better. But a clean free range 8 almost 160 inches on public land is the real story here. That type of deer is a rarity indeed, anywhere.
Posted By: freerange

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/20/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by majekman
Free...I too am sure there’s lotsa bucks in ETex taken that score better. But a clean free range 8 almost 160 inches on public land is the real story here. That type of deer is a rarity indeed, anywhere.

I agree. The story would of been better if it had slanted more towards it being an 8 maybe. "Beast" "King" " Monster" "Trophy Hunter logo" "shatters stereotypes" was just a little much.
No doubt a "monster" of an 8 and I would pass up many higher scoring bucks to kill him. Im glad he was able to get 3 shots in him.

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/20/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jasons
awesome deer.
That article will help that area get more public land hunters. Ive hunted there as well as other public lands, and every year, there is more and more people goign to DCNF This year has been the worst so far. People are bumping each other a lot. Im sure some areas are less crowded, yes its public. But these articles, as well as the other ones that was published a few years ago, have caused a massive influx of people to DC. People are driving past Sam Houston, or other national forest, which also have large deer, People are just keeping it quiet. I think ts great that people are getting nice deer, I just think plastering where is un-needed and crowds an area. Im sure ill catch crap for saying it, but until you've put in effort, then have it ruined by other people, you wont understand. These articles showcase a deer, draw attention the the hunter/bragging, and then bring in a ton of people to crowd that area, my opnion.

Oh, and not to be a hypocrite, i have posted deer in the past, and where they were shot and now wish i hadnt. I have seen the effects first hand,i

Maybe you can get the Houston Chronicle to retract the story. Maybe get this post moved to the Bunker by a Mod.
Posted By: jasons

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/20/20 05:20 PM

Maybe you can get the Houston Chronicle to retract the story. Maybe get this post moved to the Bunker by a Mod.[/quote]

???

I’m Just Making a point. Wasn’t intended at you, unless you are the hunter who got the Houston chronicle to post the story, then it was. It was meant as a warning of what it can cause. Same thing can happen on leases, big deer show up, prices go up, people get out BID/bought out.

Sorry to dampen your thread. Deer was very nice, and worth being admired.

Re: East Texas Public Buck - 11/20/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jasons

Maybe you can get the Houston Chronicle to retract the story. Maybe get this post moved to the Bunker by a Mod.

???

I’m Just Making a point. Wasn’t intended at you, unless you are the hunter who got the Houston chronicle to post the story, then it was. It was meant as a warning of what it can cause. Same thing can happen on leases, big deer show up, prices go up, people get out BID/bought out.

Sorry to dampen your thread. Deer was very nice, and worth being admired. [/quote]

Understand your point but there is only so much you can do about it. There is nothing new about DC, and the internet has been around awhile now, I think it will be ok.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum