Texas Hunting Forum

Val Verde county

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Val Verde county - 11/12/20 03:02 AM

What are yall seeing out there. We set up 3-4weeks ago and didnt set up trail cams. So I'll be hunting blind, is it still down like it was last year?

Re: Val Verde county - 11/13/20 01:25 PM

Well hell I made it out finally. I worked a 12 hr shift yesterday, got home loaded up the 4 runner, got two and a half hours of sleep, jumped in the car and drove 4 hours in order to be in the blind by 6. Mission accomplished!

Re: Val Verde county - 11/13/20 01:50 PM

Already got busted by a young 8 pointer. I was glassing the area around one of the feeders when I saw what looked to be a perfect silhouette of a bucks head. So I pan back real quick, and sure enough there was a smart young buck just staring straight at me. The little fella had already picked me off. Oh well, like they say a day of hunting beats the hell out of a day of work

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Val Verde county - 11/13/20 01:55 PM

Curtains

Re: Val Verde county - 11/13/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Curtains

100%

This is a new blind, and this is the first time I've sat in it. Way too many windows. I've already devised a quick and dirty plan....... trash bags and duct tape!
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Val Verde county - 11/14/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Curtains

100%

This is a new blind, and this is the first time I've sat in it. Way too many windows. I've already devised a quick and dirty plan....... trash bags and duct tape!

Good luck out there. We had deer coming to corn feeders pretty good last weekend. They were moving.
For the windows, I leave a few pieces of cardboard to cover areas of windows as needed.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Val Verde county - 11/14/20 02:17 PM

Good luck

Re: Val Verde county - 11/14/20 02:37 PM

Not looking good out here. Eight hours in the box and only seen two young deer, and a bunch of javelina.
Posted By: CB09

Re: Val Verde county - 11/14/20 04:57 PM

Keep at it. I will be down there next weekend and hoping for a little cooler weather.,
Posted By: freerange

Re: Val Verde county - 11/14/20 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Already got busted by a young 8 pointer. I was glassing the area around one of the feeders when I saw what looked to be a perfect silhouette of a bucks head. So I pan back real quick, and sure enough there was a smart young buck just staring straight at me. The little fella had already picked me off. Oh well, like they say a day of hunting beats the hell out of a day of work

[Linked Image]

Thats the type view I like when hunting. I like to watch over a lot of country. Broken country that you can look down one side and up the other. You can spot and stalk cause of the distant views and the uneven terrain helps with a stalk. Whats the view like in the other directions? The type of cover is enough for deer to feel secure but not so much that you cant see them.
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Val Verde county - 11/14/20 05:30 PM

Here’s a couple I have seen this year.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Val Verde county - 11/20/20 02:48 AM

Anyone going this weekend? I am
Heading out tomorrow afternoon will be off of 1024.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/20/20 03:04 AM

I'm out here now. Medium activity this evening. Not as windy as opening weekend. Clear, cool and dry.
I'm past 1024 on 90

Re: Val Verde county - 11/20/20 03:22 AM

Heading out tomorrow. I am north of Loma Alta Store.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/20/20 03:04 PM

I’m heading back out Wednesday.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/20/20 04:37 PM

Dude, nice looking animals yall got there.

I'm gonna head back out after Thanksgiving. Hopefully it will cool down some. Only saw a couple of deer in 9 hours of blind time. Maybe the lack of food will force them to the feeders.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Val Verde county - 11/20/20 07:15 PM

Love that Loma Alta/Juno Type country. LOVE IT!

Still the wild west out there, at least for a little while longer, if those damn wind turbines don't come in.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Val Verde county - 11/21/20 03:02 PM

To hell with turbines. Keep them on the high plains.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Val Verde county - 11/21/20 03:06 PM

Looks like they're coming to Devils river area. A Chinese company has bought 140k acres in Val verde county. Won't be the wild west much longer.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/21/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
Looks like they're coming to Devils river area. A Chinese company has bought 140k acres in Val verde county. Won't be the wild west much longer.

There is a Devil’s River Conservancy fighting the Chinese on these wind farms.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Val Verde county - 11/21/20 05:48 PM

Wind turbines are a scourge on the land scape, plain and simple.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Val Verde county - 11/21/20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ccrock
Anyone going this weekend? I am
Heading out tomorrow afternoon will be off of 1024.

How far up 1024? PM if ya want.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/21/20 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 8th1
I'm out here now. Medium activity this evening. Not as windy as opening weekend. Clear, cool and dry.
I'm past 1024 on 90

How far past 1024. PM if ya want.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/21/20 09:22 PM

PM sent

Re: Val Verde county - 11/22/20 08:33 PM

So far nothing on the ground. Maybe next trip.
Good luck to everyone.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/22/20 09:46 PM

It was a slow weekend for us. Had a mature cull taken and a doe. We are seeing chasing and scrapes being made but not the numbers we traditionally see. Will go at it again Thursday.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/22/20 11:23 PM

Was a thread awhile back on the Chinese wind farms. If I remember right they got a lot of land up on Blue Hills Road, off of 1024.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/23/20 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by deerfeeder
Was a thread awhile back on the Chinese wind farms. If I remember right they got a lot of land up on Blue Hills Road, off of 1024.

One thing about that area is the wind is usually blowing. Thats a good thing in a hot November like this. Iy gets hot in the box.. Good luck fellas, I hope it cools down soon.

Re: Val Verde county - 11/24/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by deerfeeder

Yes their is a man who is a Chinese and he has bought 150k acres along 1024 and is wanting to build wind farms. He is facing a rather large fight with several entities including the Department of Defense along with many others.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Val Verde county - 11/24/20 12:23 PM

How are folks looking in those anthrax affected areas from last year? Myself and the family will be headed up soon for an extended trip.

Re: Val Verde county - 12/02/20 09:43 PM

I'm back at it for the next three days. I'm hoping this colder weather gets things moving out here. What are yall seeing?

Re: Val Verde county - 12/03/20 04:29 AM

My dad got his second buck in 8 years of hunting his land, and it was his personal best. I'm so happy. It's not a monster, but it put some wind back in his sails. After he shot it he said he almost gave up on hunting because he last shot a buck 7years ago. Ahhh good times!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: don k

Re: Val Verde county - 12/03/20 12:45 PM

That's great.

Re: Val Verde county - 12/03/20 01:54 PM

They are out today.. just saw a nice 8 pointer that got scared and ran off when a nice 10 pointer came over the ridge. The 10 pointer then slowly went the same direction as the 8. It kind of frustrating, but good to see some nice bucks out here.

Re: Val Verde county - 12/04/20 04:14 PM

We saw a good amount of deer. We were gonna hunt three days, but my dad got his buck, and I got a doe, so we are heading back. From what I've seen the bucks aren't chasing the doe yet. My dads bucks tarsal glans were not black, and gunky yet. We saw plenty of doe, but no bucks in tow.... The rut is probably another week or two away. Good luck gentlemen. I'll be back out in a couple of weeks.

Re: Val Verde county - 12/05/20 12:25 AM

We are just north of you i believe and the bucks are chasing hard from the reports i am getting from the guys out there this week. Plenty of movement and just hoping the one i have my eye on makes it one more week until i get back out there.

Re: Val Verde county - 12/07/20 02:49 AM

The bears are doing gymnastics on the feeders now.
[Linked Image]

Re: Val Verde county - 12/07/20 04:05 AM

Damn thats crazy. Has the bears effected you deer activity?

Re: Val Verde county - 12/07/20 02:32 PM

Where in the county are you?

Re: Val Verde county - 12/07/20 03:19 PM

They will run the deer off when they come in. Fortunately this picture was no at my feeder.

Re: Val Verde county - 12/14/20 05:14 PM

Been hunting since Thursday morning the 10th and it has been hit or miss. One spot Friday night had great chasing. Buddy shot his target buck which was his pb. Spent the weekend hunting hard looking for the right one. Activity picked up Sunday and this morning. The wind was brutal last night and the sky was full of dust. This morning saw more deer and the doe seem to be showing back up. Bucks are still chasing hard.

[Linked Image]
Sky full of dust
[Linked Image]
Son blocked by dust.
[Linked Image]
Buck that gets me going, just not what I am after.
Still trying to get it done.

Re: Val Verde county - 12/14/20 06:51 PM

Good to hear. I'll be heading out Thursday night for a couple of days.

Re: Val Verde county - 12/14/20 09:46 PM

I killed a 6 1/2 year old 107 lb. doe Saturday morning.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum