Texas Hunting Forum

Look who we found...

Posted By: Grosvenor

Look who we found... - 11/09/20 07:21 PM

On another thread, I posted a pic of a deer from last year that we were anxious to see this year. Here he is in 2019:

[Linked Image]

Well, he showed Saturday evening (see 2nd pic) and somehow managed to get a pass from my BIL. Just a beautiful animal and one I hope to see on the ground soon. I’m hoping my BIL will go back after him. I’m not going out of my way to hunt him, but also don’t think he’ll get a pass from me if he makes the mistake of showing up when I have a rifle in my hands. He's an exceptional deer for our place.

And not that it matters, but we have a little debate going on score. What do y’all think?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 07:24 PM

Easily a 165-170” deer. Depending on mass, I accounted for 100 down with 60up, but figure there’s a couple more inches down and probably a few up I am missing.

I would not have passed on that deer. Really nice buck!
Posted By: freerange

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 07:40 PM

An absolutely beautiful buck. His rack is very similar shape to the one I killed this year. Im surprised anyone would pass that deer. He scores real well but some racks just look way cool and that one does. Did he get passed cause of age or he just thought he could do better? I would say he scores mid 150s. Also that picture is beautiful. Is the original sharper or clearer? The full broad side looking at you and then the background is a made for printing kind of shot.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 07:43 PM

Which picture is this year and last year?
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 07:50 PM

I say in the 170 range. Y’all must have some brutes to pass on that guy. Hope someone gets him!

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

second pic is this year
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 07:56 PM

Who cares about his score? A beaut is a beaut.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 07:58 PM

Ground check will end the debate.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grosvenor
Originally Posted by redchevy

second pic is this year

I don't know why I was thinking the bottom picture was last year and saying to myself... should have shot him last year! lol

Ill guess 163 Oops forgot his split g2's, maybe an even 170.
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:06 PM

What in the hell?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:13 PM

Every true sportsman enjoys seeing an old buck that's been able to avoid being hit with a bullet for years on end. It's like paying respect to some opponent who has survived a continual onslaught from its enemies. There's probably a little truth in what my wife often says when I show her photos of wary old bucks. She often replies, "You should leave him alone to make more baby bucks." But of course, she's not a hunter.

Still, I have read accounts where hunters,usually older ones, have given an old buck a pass out of nothing more than true respect.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:15 PM

I mentioned on another chat that I had passed on a couple of nice bucks. I wouldn’t have passed on that one.

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by southtexascracker
What in the hell?

haha, at least that buck got you excited enough to roam a few hunting forums

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by southtexascracker
What in the hell?

haha, at least that buck got you excited enough to roam a few hunting forums

I'll be back Thanksgiving, ya'll stay out of my pasture
mad
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:34 PM

Well, he showed Saturday evening (see 2nd pic) and somehow managed to get a pass from my BIL. What do y’all think?

[Linked Image]

What do I think??? Well, I don't know the guy, but I think your brother in law may be mentally defective for not shooting that deer on sight. roflmao bolt

I bet his gross measurements sniff the 165" mark. Congrats on having that deer roaming your woods and good luck!
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:43 PM

He's nice. Grew quite a bit from '19 & score's irrelevant to me. Definitely a wall hanger.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 08:47 PM

Stud rifle
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 09:00 PM

man that is a good looking deer.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
An absolutely beautiful buck. His rack is very similar shape to the one I killed this year. Im surprised anyone would pass that deer. He scores real well but some racks just look way cool and that one does. Did he get passed cause of age or he just thought he could do better? I would say he scores mid 150s. Also that picture is beautiful. Is the original sharper or clearer? The full broad side looking at you and then the background is a made for printing kind of shot.

[Linked Image]

Even nicer with the fog cleared away just a little bit.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 09:22 PM

Total stud. Dirt nap if I saw him. Gorgeous buck. Your BIL must be very picky.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 09:35 PM

162-164..great looking buck.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Look who we found... - 11/09/20 10:00 PM

Hard to pass that one. 165-maybe 170. Sure enough stud though. Those genetics need to be passed. Guessing he's 6-7.
Posted By: Screwdriver

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 12:39 AM

Wow, can't imagine passing that up.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 01:08 AM

STUD!
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 01:13 AM

Don't let anyone let him walk again! elmer
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by mikei

[Linked Image]

Even nicer with the fog cleared away just a little bit.

Yes sir X-2
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 02:52 AM

Interesting to see how the extra year made quite a difference.

Beautiful deer regardless of the numbers.
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 03:03 AM

I would give a pass too...a bullet passing through both lungs, just behind the shoulder...hope you get the next "look" at him...BIL's can be like that...sometimes the sisters have all the brains...
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 03:08 AM

Wow
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 04:49 AM

I would kiss my brother in law full on the lips for passing that buck. He only hunts one weekend a year. That would give me the rest of the season to chase him.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 05:20 AM

Low to mid 160's....that's accounting for ground shrinkage...... cheers
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 10:52 AM

"I would kiss my brother in law full on the lips . . . ." No way. My BIL is 6'6", 280, has a shaven head and looks like Mr. Clean. I think you are taking things a lil' too far.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 12:09 PM

Mid 160's
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 12:55 PM

Before I read any of the guesses I think 160 to 165. Either way he would be proudly displayed on my wall.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 02:30 PM

Helluva good looking s. tx. buck regardless of score!
I hope ya'll get him before he breaks off some of that character and I guess him in the low to mid 70's.
Go get him and good luck!
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 02:41 PM

162.5..up to 165, but I’m kind of guessing on his left side. Also, MB length always gets me on those stx deer. I’m around a 100-101 base..

Beautiful buck regardless. Best of luck
Posted By: postoak

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 10:28 PM

Is this in Live Oak County?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Look who we found... - 11/10/20 10:38 PM

He's already in my freezer. Thanks for letting me hunt on your place.
Haha
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Look who we found... - 11/11/20 12:03 AM

Mid to high 160s, love the frame and matching forks........cheers

Re: Look who we found... - 11/11/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by postoak
Is this in Live Oak County?

Yessir
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Look who we found... - 11/12/20 12:38 AM

Mid 150s? That deer is 168 to 172 easy.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Look who we found... - 11/12/20 07:18 AM

Pushing 170”, and your BIL is slightly deranged for letting that stud walk grin good luck to you up

Re: Look who we found... - 11/12/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by huntwest

Mid 150s? That deer is 168 to 172 easy.

The deer has no matching G4 on his left side, or I'd be inclined to agree with you. He may still be 165 without it.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Look who we found... - 11/12/20 10:53 PM

Solid 160s traditional scoring. An absolute beast regardless of where in the state it comes from!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum