Texas Hunting Forum

11” deer in AR county

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 03:28 AM

Saw two at the processor tonight, both guys took the antlers with them. I think the smaller one was even a yearling. mad
Posted By: rickym

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 03:31 AM

Well apparently you stood there with sealed lips...

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by rickym

I’m not a LEO an I didn’t have the new GWs number. I did ask one of the crew if the deer was from our county, he said he didn’t look at the tag but knew immediately why I was asking.
Posted By: freerange

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 03:34 AM

Not his monkeys, not his circus.
Im not used to AR counties so im curious if a processor or taxi has any obligation to do anything...?
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 04:08 AM

Id keep my mouth shut personally and not be the bad guy, if they were truly illegal and dumb enough to take them to the processor I’m sure it will catch up to them.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 04:11 AM

I've been waiting in line at Rust Deer Plant on Hwy 6 between Eastland and Cisco.
Next thing you know the Game Warden(s) come pulling in.
The hunters that had under sized bucks in the back of their trucks sure were squirming.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 02:34 PM

Most processors say it’s not their job to police the size of bucks that come in.
I know of only one in Bowie who will call the GW every time on under size bucks.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 05:12 PM

shameful.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 08:35 PM

What would you have done ??
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 09:01 PM

I wonder if someone who would take a deer harvested unlawfully, to a processor, even knows what the law is. On one hand, I hope not. On the other, it is not that difficult to read the county regulations. For the guy running the deer processing business, I think the best option would be to not accept the deer, and tell the customer why.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/08/20 11:15 PM

Sorry, i bet most processors want the biz and do not want to get a reputation of turning in their customers. Not saying it is right...
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/09/20 12:33 AM

While I'm not condoning the practice, it's far better than letting meat spoil in the woods as I'm sure so many have done after making a mistake.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/09/20 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brother Phil
For the guy running the deer processing business, I think the best option would be to not accept the deer, and tell the customer why.

^^^^^

Not before determining that the deer came from a A/R county. Its perfectly possible someone killed a deer in a non-A/R county but prefers using a processor in a different county. Many folks hunt on land nowhere near their home (county of residence) but might well have a 'favorite' processor that makes sausage just the way they like it, etc....

I know of hunters that will take their deer close to 75 miles away to have them processed.

Simply looking at the tag would disclose whether or not there was a violation, but processors are in business to 'process' deer NOT determine where they came from (the Game Wardens job).

To automatically reject an animal with a spread under 13" is to ASSUME it is illegal. As far as I know....a processor is in no way liable for the legal status of the deer (other than being tagged). However, IF there is ample reason to suspect an illegal harvest then a quick call to the local GW is easy enough to do.
Posted By: bcruts

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/09/20 03:14 AM

GW’s are probably reading these threads and will do some research and do some digging..... I know if I was a game warden I’d be all over all forms of social media to find the guys that don’t do it the right way.

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/09/20 03:19 AM

As a processor, maybe a sign that says ‘please insure that your deer meets all requirements for a legal harvest in your county’ would go a long ways.

This was in Mills county. We’re surrounded by Brown, Lampasas, Coryell, Hamilton, and SanSaba counties. The only non-AR county is San Saba. This is not a widely known processor. I’d bet the deer was from Mills.

While I was there, 14 bucks were brought in. 2 were not legal if they were from an AR county.. That’s not a real good percentage. Neither deer was MLDP, but I don’t know if that would affect the legality or not.
Posted By: HS2

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/09/20 03:24 AM

I’m guessing the GWs hang out at the processors a lot to monitor what’s coming in.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/09/20 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
As a processor, maybe a sign that says ‘please insure that your deer meets all requirements for a legal harvest in your county’ would go a long ways.

This was in Mills county. We’re surrounded by Brown, Lampasas, Coryell, Hamilton, and SanSaba counties. The only non-AR county is San Saba. This is not a widely known processor. I’d bet the deer was from Mills.

While I was there, 14 bucks were brought in. 2 were not legal if they were from an AR county.. That’s not a real good percentage. Neither deer was MLDP, but I don’t know if that would affect the legality or not.

The sign would be a great idea.

I miss 'Mills' County. I grew up in Austin but we owned 800 acres in Mills County (Goldthwaite) back in the 70's-80's before selling it. I spent a lot of time up there camping and hunting. So many deer and Turkey out the wazoo. Lots of varmints and back then a decent amount of quail as well. Great place to hunt.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/09/20 11:12 AM

I guess its common practice to take the whole deer to processor. We have never done that always quarter out and take only meat. How much extra do they charge for the whole deer? Gotta be alot.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/09/20 12:23 PM

I dropped a deer off at a processor(butcher shop) about 20 years ago. He told me that some guys brought in a doe that wasn't even gutted. He told them that he couldn't take it like that and it had to be gutted. A little later I was driving back to my place and found a dead doe that had been shot. I bet it was the same deer.

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
I guess its common practice to take the whole deer to processor. We have never done that always quarter out and take only meat. How much extra do they charge for the whole deer? Gotta be alot.

I’m not sure. This processor is up to $85 for general processing. Whole deer, the processor gets to sell the hide as well as assorted proteins (skull, bones, other scrap) to offset his cost of skinning, etc.
Posted By: freerange

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 02:25 AM

Im not certain but I have been told a processor prefers to get the deer whole(minus guts.) I think the worry is it may not of been handled properly. They are set up to fly through the process fast enough and like Quit said, they may offset price by utilizing/selling parts. I do not think the price varies but not sure.
Posted By: TXduckCommander

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 07:56 PM

New Mills County game warden name is Richard Whitt 325-203-1525. He checked me this summer fishing and dove hunting this year. Real stand up guy.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 08:23 PM

bang let it be.

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TXduckCommander
New Mills County game warden name is Richard Whitt 325-203-1525. He checked me this summer fishing and dove hunting this year. Real stand up guy.

Thank you for that, I've added him to my contacts.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by HS2
I’m guessing the GWs hang out at the processors a lot to monitor what’s coming in.

Yep. The processor I use told me the GW stops by often to check the deer and tags. I would imagine that is very common.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 08:43 PM

Aren't you required to keep proof of sex? If you just show up with an ice chest full of quarters and the GW is there you might be getting a ticket anyway.
Posted By: jhunter77

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 09:38 PM

I know that there's a processor in N FTW that charges an extra $50 if you bring in a deer only field dressed. I always quarter my deer and keep the head with the meat. If we have more than one deer I separate them in the cooler with a trash bag and I use small zip ties that are different colors. I'll tag one deer with yellow zip tie on the tag and a yellow zip tie on each quarter and the next deer will have a different color.

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/11/20 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jhunter77
I know that there's a processor in N FTW that charges an extra $50 if you bring in a deer only field dressed. I always quarter my deer and keep the head with the meat. If we have more than one deer I separate them in the cooler with a trash bag and I use small zip ties that are different colors. I'll tag one deer with yellow zip tie on the tag and a yellow zip tie on each quarter and the next deer will have a different color.

What do they charge for their service on a quartered deer?
Posted By: Cueman

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/19/20 05:51 PM

who processes deer in Bowie?
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/19/20 06:16 PM

When you’re making a 600+ yard shot, with a 6.5, at 5 minutes before legal shooting time ends, you sometimes get a 11” deer instead of a 13”. ( like all of us can do on this forum) I would not say anything.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/20/20 05:27 AM

I’m not sure. This processor is up to $85 for general processing. Whole deer, the processor gets to sell the hide as well as assorted proteins (skull, bones, other scrap) to offset his cost of skinning, etc.

I process my own but processors in Lampasas prefer whole deer hide on. I know this because my brother takes his in. If I don't make my own sausage I take bulk meat to Rockwall processor or Kuby's
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/21/20 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Aren't you required to keep proof of sex? If you just show up with an ice chest full of quarters and the GW is there you might be getting a ticket anyway.

Yes but when you drop it off and take the head, the GW would have to find you. We saw it opening day. Processor doesn't record buck width when meat is dropped off. Never has.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/30/20 03:47 PM

I thought about this thread when dropping deer off at processor this past week. While I was dropping my AR legal buck off, another guy was dropping of a very small 4 pt, way less than 13" - more like 10 or 11" at best. He left while I waited for the head off my deer, so I asked the manager about it and he said he immediately looked at the tag and saw it was from a neighboring county with no AR. Not sure what would have happened if it had been from our County, but glad the processor looked and had the right answer.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/30/20 04:15 PM

When AR's first started, a buddy of mine jokingly told me thats why you shoot them in the head... an adjustable spread lol.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/30/20 05:57 PM

popcorn
Posted By: WendlingKnives

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 11/30/20 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
When you’re making a 600+ yard shot, with a 6.5, at 5 minutes before legal shooting time ends, you sometimes get a 11” deer instead of a 13”. ( like all of us can do on this forum) I would not say anything.

Then maybe you shouldnt be taking that shot. If you arent sure of your target, then youre 100% to blame if you chose the wrong deer to pull a trigger on
Posted By: Cueman

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 12/04/20 02:35 PM

Dis someone here say there is a processor in Bowie?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 12/04/20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jhunter77

What do they charge for their service on a quartered deer?

The processor I use for some things charges $40 to debone a quartered deer, then if you bring it in whole he charges an additional $25 to skin it.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: 11” deer in AR county - 12/04/20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster

Like all of us can do? Ugh. Only thing missing here are references to skinny jeans, white sunglasses and tires outside the wheel wells. Frankly, i wouldn't have said anything either.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum