Texas Hunting Forum

Dry season?

Posted By: Creekrunner

Dry season? - 11/05/20 10:34 PM

Both the ranch and home are hurtin' for rain. I know this'll bring more deer to the feeders, but I'm starting to worry about the overall health of my place. I can see what the 2011 drought did to the oaks and I really don't wanna live through that, so soon after buying it, but I know dry spells are part of the territory. I decided to keep one protein feeder going (closest feeder and blind to my sometimes over-zealous neighbor hunters) and deer seem to just be standing at it all day.

Any Farmer's Almanac aficionados on here that can offer some hope?

Drier than a popcorn fart. 'Gotta continue to take mouths off the place. rifledeer
Posted By: PMK

Re: Dry season? - 11/05/20 11:28 PM

wish my parents or grandparents were still alive, they could really interpret things out of an almanac and other things in nature (size of acorn & how far the husk/stem covered the acorn, something about mesquite trees that escapes me, pecan husk & shell, etc.) ... yep, it's dry pretty much everywhere west.

Re: Dry season? - 11/05/20 11:31 PM

Mesquite don't put out leaves 'til winter is really over, but that's the extent of my oldtimer's knowledge in that regard.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Dry season? - 11/05/20 11:36 PM

yeah, I am thinking it had to do with the leaves, there was another one about the mesquite beans too ... I should have paid attention better way back then
Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Re: Dry season? - 11/06/20 12:27 AM

A lot of beans means a cold winter.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Dry season? - 11/06/20 01:45 AM

Really Dry to the south of you as well.

NEXT saturday have a 70% chance of rain though

Re: Dry season? - 11/16/20 12:29 PM

Still bad. 50-60% this weekend. Praying.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Dry season? - 11/16/20 01:21 PM

I was really worried about our wildlife until we finally got a good rain and snow a couple weeks ago. We will need more to carry on to spring.....
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Dry season? - 11/16/20 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Mesquite don't put out leaves 'til winter is really over, but that's the extent of my oldtimer's knowledge in that regard.

Same with Pecans Trees, they are never fooled. Not going to bud out until winter is long gone.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Dry season? - 11/16/20 01:31 PM

Not too worried about the Trees and Flora, they typically bounce back even if some amount are lost. But in places like Central Texas (Hill Country in particular) the rain is needed to replenish the Aquifer which is of much greater concern.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Dry season? - 11/16/20 02:46 PM

We are the same, dry at home and dry at the ranch. We started with our place in 2007, and without fail live and dressed weights have gone up every year, this one was not change. We have taken two bucks so far this season one was 195 lbs the other 190. The two heaviest deer we have shot, in the midst of a drought no less, in the past 13 years.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Dry season? - 11/16/20 03:45 PM

^^^^Y'all are doing something right. Keep on doing it.... Super dry here. May have to water my food plot below the house. I don't really want to spook the deer that bed down there but it is friggin dry.

Re: Dry season? - 11/24/20 10:42 PM

Still...nothing. This is bad. In the daily prayers.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Dry season? - 11/24/20 10:48 PM

I apologize. It is all my fault. I planted wheat the first of November, so I needed rain and it hasn't rained since. Maybe I should go wash my truck. Seems to always rain right after I get it good and clean.

I'm also praying for rain.
Posted By: don k

Re: Dry season? - 11/24/20 11:59 PM

It is getting really bad around here.

Re: Dry season? - 11/25/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by don k
It is getting really bad around here.

Now you're making me really worry. bang
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Dry season? - 11/25/20 12:53 AM

Going on week 9 now here with no rain....dusted in the oats 5 weeks ago and they are waiting on rain.
Posted By: don k

Re: Dry season? - 11/25/20 12:55 PM

The Medina river flowing into Bandera looks sickly. Looks better on the other side after getting water from the sewer plant.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Dry season? - 11/25/20 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by don k
The Medina river flowing into Bandera looks sickly. Looks better on the other side after getting water from the sewer plant.

Even the Brazos river is looking bad but surprisingly the deer are n real good shape in Leon co where there were hardly any acorns and Coleman co where we have all mesquite and no beans
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Dry season? - 11/25/20 07:55 PM

Garvin Store area is about to blow away.

Even the dust has dirt and grime on it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum