Texas Hunting Forum

Emaciated Deer

Posted By: TxHunter87

Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 05:41 PM

Little background this is in East Texas, Trinity County. No other deer we have seen is this skinny, when trying to look up anything all i get is CWD information.

Im not saying that it isnt CWD, though we have no reported cases in this area, just what could cause a deer to become this emaciated?

Also, would you shoot her or let nature take its course?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 05:43 PM

Poor thing.

I would give her a mercy kill
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 05:46 PM

I have seen that when they have worn down all their teeth.
Posted By: StraitShot

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 05:47 PM

Shoot her and have TPDW send the glands in for examination... She looks really bad..
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 05:48 PM

Coyotes got to eat too.
Posted By: ETXRaider

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 05:50 PM

Not gonna be CWD. Tooth or digestive issue.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 06:01 PM

Stop her misery. Put her down.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 06:08 PM

Not sure you're going to have to worry about her, could expire before rifle season...

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 06:11 PM

If she does get taken our biologist told us to get her tested.

The bad part of that is, we are on MLDP and didnt get as many antler-less tags so no one is really wanting to use a tag on her.

ETXraider how can you be so sure? not saying your wrong in any way just looking to see how to identify this is it ever happens again.

I would of guess some type of mouth problem too but shes eating corn, and if she can do that she can eat almost anything right?
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 06:31 PM

CWD has symptoms including being listless, not afraid of people, loss of coordination, drooling, excessive drinking of water and weight loss. Droopy ears too.
The GW should come out and put her down if they have any cwd concerns.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 06:54 PM

I dont have all the answers but I would hope a way is found to kill her.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
I dont have all the answers but I would hope a way is found to kill her.

X2
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 07:10 PM

I would drop her. No sense in letting her suffer.....
Posted By: decook

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
The GW should come out and put her down if they have any cwd concerns.

I'd make that call, see if the GW will make the mercy kill. If not burn the tag. That poor deer is suffering.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 07:28 PM

I think too many folks worry about wild animals suffering. There is a coyote, vulture, coon, opposum etc. out there trying to feed itself and its young also. If you want to eat it shoot it, if not let nature take its toll. If you didnt get many doe tags then this is your gift horse, dont look it in the mouth.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 07:34 PM

Is the front half of her bottom jaw missing?
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young

I zoomed in on the pic and I think you hit the nail on the head.
Posted By: don k

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 08:03 PM

Just shoot her and be done with it.

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 08:07 PM

in other pics of here i dont see anything missing on her jaw, kind of looks like it in that pic but i got another one where you can see the back of her jaw pretty well and its all there.

Im kind of agreeing with redchevy on this one, all but for the gift horse part, i wont make that mistake again always checked the mouth when you are given a horse

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 08:10 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I think too many folks worry about wild animals suffering. There is a coyote, vulture, coon, opposum etc. out there trying to feed itself and its young also. If you want to eat it shoot it, if not let nature take its toll. If you didnt get many doe tags then this is your gift horse, dont look it in the mouth.

Agreed
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Poor thing.

I would give her a mercy kill
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 09:18 PM

She could be very old and put everything into trying to raise her fawn(s) this year. I have seen that in the Hill Country on very old does where they look like that in the fall.
Posted By: Firstlight10

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 10:28 PM

I have seen does at a deer breeder that were recovering from EHD that looked this bad. They made a full recovery.
Posted By: Firstlight10

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 10:29 PM

I have seen does at a deer breeder that were recovering from EHD that looked this bad. They made a full recovery.
Posted By: don k

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 10:36 PM

I totally disagree. Winter is coming up. She has 0 chance of getting back in shape unless she is wormed and put in a pen and fed alfalfa hay and protein. Why let her starve to death or let some mangy [censored] coyotes drag her down and start eating on her while she is still alive. Shoot her and drag her off in the brush if you are worried about tagging her.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/21/20 10:46 PM

There is a school of thought, that I may, or may not have been associated with, that doesn't state you HAVE to put a tag on her when you drag her into the brush. If something is suffering...
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/22/20 10:14 AM

You should always do that which is right
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/22/20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ETXRaider
Not gonna be CWD. Tooth or digestive issue.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Likely lack of teeth do to age. She appears to be a very old doe to me.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/22/20 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by don k

I totally disagree. Winter is coming up. She has 0 chance of getting back in shape unless she is wormed and put in a pen and fed alfalfa hay and protein. Why let her starve to death or let some mangy [censored] coyotes drag her down and start eating on her while she is still alive. Shoot her and drag her off in the brush if you are worried about tagging her.

I agree with the don on this one.

End her life quick, and the coyotes still get to eat. Win/Win
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/22/20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young

It sure looks like it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/22/20 12:50 PM

I shot this deer back in 2016-2017 season. For several years she wound up skinny as hell bones poking out all over. She looked bad, near what this one looked like at times. She was very wary and tried several times to kill her but she always seemed to know what was coming and avoided us. That hunt i spotted her at about 400 yards out and climbed down and stalked a little to close the distance and got her.

I have no idea how old she was but she was OLD! We ate her, no issues. Some years she looked as poor as the one pictured but like others have said i think she got drawn down from fawns and then progressively got back into better shape.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/22/20 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by don k

I completely agree don k!

The humane thing to do is end her suffering quickly!

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/22/20 06:06 PM

[Linked Image]

Methuselah

8.5+ fo sho
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/22/20 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
There is a school of thought, that I may, or may not have been associated with, that doesn't state you HAVE to put a tag on her when you drag her into the brush. If something is suffering...

I agree with this. Put her down and drag her off, same as deer that break their legs or their neck in pig traps out of season. Just do it and don't publicize it.
Posted By: Revolutionary Redneck

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/29/20 02:11 AM

She just needs cream corn and she’ll be fine
Posted By: Dimitri

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/29/20 08:35 AM

My heart would say "put the poor thing out of its misery."

My head would say "as difficult as it is to see her in that state, lay off the trigger. She will provide a meal for a predator/scavenger. Her weak condition may be exactly what a predator needs in order to teach its pups/cubs how to hunt and how to kill. It's part of the natural cycle so don't interfere unless you want to use the carcass yourself. Let nature take it's course."

Personally, if I saw an arrow sticking out of her or a snare around her neck/foot, then I'd shoot her as it was human interference - not nature - that made her weak.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Emaciated Deer - 10/29/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dimitri
My heart would say "put the poor thing out of its misery."

My head would say "as difficult as it is to see her in that state, lay off the trigger. She will provide a meal for a predator/scavenger. Her weak condition may be exactly what a predator needs in order to teach its pups/cubs how to hunt and how to kill. It's part of the natural cycle so don't interfere unless you want to use the carcass yourself. Let nature take it's course."

Personally, if I saw an arrow sticking out of her or a snare around her neck/foot, then I'd shoot her as it was human interference - not nature - that made her weak.

up
I got myself in trouble explaining the circle of life once specially the part about human interference.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum