Texas Hunting Forum

mills co.

Posted By: SlaminEm

mills co. - 10/19/20 08:51 PM

i hunt mills co. but not seeing many bucks at feeder whats yall seeing
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: mills co. - 10/19/20 09:06 PM

Acorns started dropping 3-4 weeks ago. If you have does that come to the feeder, give it time, the bucks will come to them. I assume you are only feeding corn?

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 12:46 AM

no i feed corn and protein

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by SlaminEm

I’m surprised you aren’t seeing deer unless you are in a green part of the county. We’re so dry they’re eating rocks, hungry as heck.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by SlaminEm

I’m surprised you aren’t seeing deer unless you are in a green part of the county. We’re so dry they’re eating rocks, hungry as heck.

I put out a couple of alfalfa bales Friday morning. They were gone this morning. No livestock on the place and they're in a stand where the pigs can't reach.

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 01:53 AM

we are dry there we got 2 ponds and no water in either one
Posted By: Slick Head

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 02:46 AM

We are dry! We are seeing lots of bucks and very few doe. deer are hitting our feeders hard. Lots of pigs.

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 12:54 PM

no pigs here.
Posted By: TXduckCommander

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 01:08 PM

Pigs, pigs, and more pigs at our place.

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 07:20 PM

sorry to here that
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 07:22 PM

My pecans are starting to fall in Northern Lampasas county. I have so many hogs coming around now I could shoot them blindfolded! I started seeing some pretty strong pre rut action this past weekend while out harvesting nuts. One buck I see often is already getting a swollen neck. Give it a few weeks and the bucks will be cruising,.

Good luck!
Posted By: TXduckCommander

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 08:12 PM

More and more acorns are starting to fall as well. We need rain in a bad way in Mills County.

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 09:30 PM

yes sir we do need rain very badly there. i hope bucks start showing at the feeder opening weekend of gun season is almost a pawn us.

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by TXduckCommander
More and more acorns are starting to fall as well. We need rain in a bad way in Mills County.

It's as bad as I've seen it. We missed that one huge rain by 20 miles. One tank is gone, another on life support.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by TXduckCommander

It's as bad as I've seen it. We missed that one huge rain by 20 miles. One tank is gone, another on life support.

I'm about 10 miles west of the Brown/Mills County Line and we are in desperate need of rain as well. The one heavy rain back in early September raised my main tank up about a foot or maybe a bit more, but that is gone now and we are back to lower than we were toward the end of August. Other than that one big storm, we haven't had any meaningful rain since late April. I keep watching the storms entering the Gulf hoping for one to stay south and keep heading west, but they've all turned up through LA this year. Bad for our Cajun friends, but not good for us either...

Re: mills co. - 10/20/20 11:12 PM

somebody do a rain dance down there please. banana
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: mills co. - 11/23/20 03:06 PM

A tall one. Photo not the best, but you get the idea -

[Linked Image]

Re: mills co. - 11/24/20 12:33 AM

[Linked Image]
shot this one opening weekend 11/8/2020 [Linked Image]
shot this one 11/8/2019