Texas Hunting Forum

MLD Question

Posted By: ZK-315

MLD Question - 10/05/20 06:25 PM

We've been MLD for a few years now, but have a question with the season dates this year. This past weekend the guys and I on our place were discussing the season dates and we were a little confused by this year.

If I'm reading this right, on page 5 under season dates, non-spikes have to wait until November 7th to be shot with a rifle, correct? So can I not shoot a trophy with a rifle until November 7th?

It's showing October 3rd-November 6th for "at least one unbranched antler" and then November 7th-February 28th "any buck deer" including firearm.

Season Dates
• Antlerless Deer
o October 3, 2020 through February 28, 2021.
▪ May be taken by any lawful means, including modern firearms.
• Buck Deer
o October 3, 2020 through November 6, 2020.
▪ Bucks with at least one unbranched antler may be taken with any lawful means, including
modern firearms.
▪ Any other buck may be taken only with lawful archery equipment.
o November 7, 2020 through February 28, 2021:
▪ Any buck deer may be taken by any lawful means, including modern firearms.

LINK

Page 8 Shows any bucks with firearms from Oct. 3 - Feb 28th...i'm confused.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: MLD Question - 10/05/20 06:49 PM

The first one is "Harvest Option", which I'm on. The second one is "Conservation Option" (surveys, biologist recommendations, etc.)
Posted By: PMK

Re: MLD Question - 10/05/20 07:50 PM

so I could have shot that 180" after all??? hammer ,,, I guess I would have had to see him first loser8
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: MLD Question - 10/05/20 08:00 PM

What Creekrunner said. Page 5 is Harvest Option, page 8 is Conservation Option. What used to be considered Level II and Level III of MLD. With Harvest Option you join the program outline your property on their map and it tells you how many tags you get, Conservation Option there are surveys and other things considered by the biologist to determine how many tags you get. On our property if we did the Harvest option it would have given us 6 tags...5 doe, 1 buck. Doing surveys, daylight observation logs, stand counts, etc...we will end up with around 20-40 doe tags and 15 buck tags.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: MLD Question - 10/06/20 01:49 PM

Thanks Txhunter. I spoke to the guy that runs our MLD side of things (my wife's cousin) and he told me all of that last night as well. We're on the old level 3, and said we're good to shoot whatever we want Oct. 3 - Feb 28th. Glad you reassured me of that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum