Texas Hunting Forum

Guessing, but terrible at this....

Posted By: Draco_Farms

Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/29/20 06:00 PM

My guess is 3-4, max 4. Has a bit of a gut sag but everything else to me says under 4.
Again, terrible at guessing ages but can’t get better without getting inputs/corrections.
Thx.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/29/20 06:41 PM

4 would be my guess.
Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/29/20 07:14 PM

If eyes have to do anything with age I'd say he's 10 muyloco
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/29/20 08:38 PM

Looks mature+ to me
Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/29/20 09:09 PM

I was gonna say 3 1/2 based off body and face features
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/29/20 11:08 PM

Looks 4 little bit of sag and the nose is getting short. Over the eye looks like some antler under the skin maybe ?
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 03:30 AM

He looks 5+

nice buck
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 10:52 AM

4 yo.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 11:50 AM

He was 4 yrs old about 3 or 4 yrs ago.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 12:52 PM

this is tough one. smooth contour between neck and body and belly sag suggest 5.5, but for some reason i feel he's younger. i think, i'd give him another year to see how he looks
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 12:56 PM

6.5+

Put him on your hit list
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 04:56 PM

MATURE - pop him!
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 05:36 PM

Folks forget that a 4 year old buck in Grayson county looks completely different than one standing in Live Oak county, or Bowie county vs Childress county, or Jefferson county vs Tom Green county.

I think the OP is much better at judging age than he gives himself credit for.

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 06:39 PM

Thanks for inputs. The discussion with others is whether to give him another year, I really think it would be best to but also know there is fairly heavy pressure surrounding me. He is not great but know they wouldn’t pass on him. The more I looked at the pics the more I questioned age so threw it out there for inputs. If he got more under 4 than over 4, we would prob let him take a chance on making it.
I think he stays on the list especially for bow or handgun opportunity.
Thx
Posted By: Big8

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 10:12 PM

His head looks older than 4 to me.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 09/30/20 10:15 PM

I'd say mature, but not post-mature.

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 10/01/20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
Folks forget that a 4 year old buck in Grayson county looks completely different than one standing in Live Oak county, or Bowie county vs Childress county, or Jefferson county vs Tom Green county.

I agree with you that deer in different areas of the state certainly can look a bit different but I see absolutely no way this deer is 4.5, much less 3.5...…..5.5 certainly possible.
He is way too 'chesty' to be any younger than 5.5 I think.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 10/01/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

I agree with you that deer in different areas of the state certainly can look a bit different but I see absolutely no way this deer is 4.5, much less 3.5...…..5.5 certainly possible.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I say completely different, you say a bit different.
Bucks in different areas of the same county can look completely different.

IMO, without knowing what county the buck is in and then what fairly specific part of that county my guess is a healthy 4, quite possibly his 5th year.

I was just giving the OP a vote of confidence in his ability to guess age from a picture.
He's doing a fine job in my opinion.

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 10/01/20 02:50 PM

Again, thanks for the inputs. I’m going to go with the majority of over 4 and not limit him if he walks out. The deer in my area rarely make it over 5-5 1/2 due to hunting pressures. I was on the fence thinking he was max 4 but wasn’t sure enough of the guess.
I will use the points made aging him over 4 and use them going forward, appreciate the descriptions.
Good Luck this season !!

Re: Guessing, but terrible at this.... - 10/01/20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I say completely different, you say a bit different.
Bucks in different areas of the same county can look completely different.

IMO, without knowing what county the buck is in and then what fairly specific part of that county my guess is a healthy 4, quite possibly his 5th year.

I was just giving the OP a vote of confidence in his ability to guess age from a picture.
He's doing a fine job in my opinion.

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum