Texas Hunting Forum

age help please?

Posted By: dfins1972

age help please? - 09/09/20 04:26 PM

So I have this deer on camera. I can't make him from any deer from years past, and I'm stumped on his age. He's certainly bigger body and rack than the other deer I have, but I'm not sold on his age. Would appreciate any help. I'm just north of the hill country if that helps.

Attached picture left beam fork 2.jpg
Attached picture left beam fork.jpg
Posted By: Exiled

Re: age help please? - 09/09/20 04:33 PM

4.5 is my guess, but summer is usually a little deceptive.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: age help please? - 09/09/20 05:00 PM

I’d say 4.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: age help please? - 09/09/20 05:13 PM

3-7 years. Good looking buck

welcome
Posted By: dfins1972

Re: age help please? - 09/09/20 05:17 PM

Haha! Titan you nailed it. Thank you.

Thanks guy's. My initial guess was 4.5, but I had one like him a few years ago that I passed on. Then the following year he looked 8.5 and sure enough a buddy got him, and he was ancient in age. Aging isn't a skill set I posses.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: age help please? - 09/09/20 05:32 PM

dfins, sometimes you have those tall lanky bucks that won't show age like the rest of the herd. When you said this buck was bigger bodied than the rest of the group, I figured he was one of the tall ones that just don't show that squatty old look well.

This is why aging from a single picture is difficult, or aging from a single visit is difficult, unless there are other deer around to give reference. Most of the time when you see a yearling or 2 yo next to a more mature buck the difference is obvious. But in isolation, they can look almost the same age. Its tricky, but also the fun of aging.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: age help please? - 09/09/20 05:38 PM

5+

Hard to say from night pics.....the details that give you more confidence in your assessment are missing.....
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: age help please? - 09/09/20 05:55 PM

I'm not seeing anything that is telling me he is post mature at all. He still a little leggy, very slick at the neck/chest area without any drop in the chest.
His face doesn't look to have a lot of age either.

Looks like a 4 year old to me as well.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: age help please? - 09/09/20 07:16 PM

At first glance I said 5 immediately from the first pic. He has a lot of width and depth in the brisket and is setting down on his hooves. Would not be shocked if he looked much older in another 3 weeks or so.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: age help please? - 09/10/20 12:44 AM

rifle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum