Texas Hunting Forum

Y'all filling feeders?

Posted By: Creekrunner

Y'all filling feeders? - 09/05/20 01:52 PM

Judging by the number of brisket/recipe threads, I guess this traditional weekend for lease work is well attended.

'Got mine filled early last week, so...all the deer are already on MY place. grin bolt
Posted By: rickym

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/05/20 02:15 PM

Nope, not buying any corn this year.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/05/20 02:36 PM

Protein from late Feb through late Aug. Run corn all year. Our herd is fat and happy
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/05/20 03:42 PM

We will fill ours on the 27th or the 3rd of October.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/05/20 03:48 PM

I’ll check corn levels today, and buy corn as needed.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/05/20 07:29 PM

All filled 2 weeks ago. Going back this Wedn, I'm sure I'll have to refill the protein feeder.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/05/20 11:25 PM

All filled back Aug 8 and will fill again Sep 19 which will get us through to end of season and then decision of protein/corn
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/06/20 12:22 AM

Never stopped. We feed corn year round, and protein through the summer. We just filled corn and protein last weekend, and should be just corn and possibly alfalfa, going forward through the season.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/06/20 03:19 PM

I really appreciate our neighbors the last couple years, and have shut down my feeders.
The guy hunting the small acreage next door to me feeds protein and corn, and now they are planting oats so I just ambush the deer before they get to his place, and no, I'm not hunting the fenceline since my place is a lot bigger, but he practically is......Kind of a win, win, situation!
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/06/20 03:46 PM

Deer are going thru 400 lbs of protein in 2wk!!! Up yesterday to refill and be back up 2 weeks to refill and prep for opening bow the weekend. I guess I need a bigger feeder on my next lease.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/06/20 05:14 PM

I keep my corn feeders running year round along with year round protein. I let my corn feeders run low or out in early Aug so I can clean them out and refill them with clean corn. Corn went up $1.20/bag down here and glad I filled mine a month ago now.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/07/20 04:25 PM

Filled feeders last weekend, also feed year round. I’ve been on the tractor shredding since Saturday morning, didn’t shut her down till about midnight last night. My backside is a little chafed from sweating and bouncing around on that seat all weekend, so moving a little slow today. About to get back on it, and then work on some stuff that little hurricane tore up recently, then spray some poison & do some scouting before I clean up & load up...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/07/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Filled feeders last weekend, also feed year round. I’ve been on the tractor shredding since Saturday morning, didn’t shut her down till about midnight last night. My backside is a little chafed from sweating and bouncing around on that seat all weekend, so moving a little slow today. About to get back on it, and then work on some stuff that little hurricane tore up recently, then spray some poison & do some scouting before I clean up & load up...
grin Link
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/07/20 05:35 PM

Y'all filling feeders?

Year around.

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/07/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by skinnerback
grin Link

That’s what I need!! The struggle is real lol.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/07/20 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
Y'all filling feeders?

Year around.

Yep, darn deer eat better than I do. Put out 2500 pounds on Saturday.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/07/20 08:31 PM

Year round for me. Deer are really eating the protein pellets right now. Saw my first hard horned buck last week.
Posted By: jskin

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/07/20 09:10 PM

Put out about 1000 pounds Saturday. Still need to do some blind work and add another camera. Getting closer by the day!
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/07/20 09:49 PM

Year round, dial the timers back a bit in the off season
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/08/20 12:03 AM

Feed year around but topped off last week. Added a homemade varmint plate to one feeder, hope it saves some corn from the coons.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/08/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Judging by the number of brisket/recipe threads, I guess this traditional weekend for lease work is well attended.

'Got mine filled early last week, so...all the deer are already on MY place. grin bolt

I filled mine up yesterday. Corn price was down from last year.

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/08/20 03:25 AM

Still going at it. Azz is sore. Same old here...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shredded a lot of heavy huisache, and I mean a lot. Pushed that tractor to the limit. 😬 3 days of shredding and I’m done.

Time for a couple of tacos and a shower.

I only sheared one pin.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/08/20 01:06 PM

Protein and corn year around, then add wheat food plots in the fall.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/08/20 01:39 PM

I don’t let mine go empty
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/08/20 01:46 PM

Feed corn year round.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/08/20 01:56 PM

I feed year round both protein and corn.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Y'all filling feeders? - 09/08/20 07:36 PM

Corn year round and protein Jan - Sep. I fed 7000 lbs of protein this year and some of the other hunters may have fed more. Bucks are looking super healthy right now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum