Texas Hunting Forum

Funnels in your feeder?

Posted By: Ktexas14

Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 03:55 PM

Do you all use funnels in your 55 gallon Barrel Feeders?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 03:58 PM

Yes
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by krmitchell
Yes

X2
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 04:18 PM

Yes but only the ones with varmint proof plates. Funnels help the wind and varmints empty a feeder fast.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 04:18 PM

Always!
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 04:22 PM

Yes, but I metal screw it to the sides.

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Yes

X2

Well thank you all, i had been putting it off. I just ordered for all 4 of my feeders.

I have a baby girl coming in October, I only have one weekend to get everything back up and running in a couple weekends.

October and November Hunting are out, so I will get a weekend in December and then maybe one early January. I guess we will see.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 04:41 PM

Always used funnels in ours. Never used a varmit plate. Never had issues with wind/critters emptying it.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 04:46 PM

I've done both but prefer with funnels; the corn flow is a lot better less opportunity for clumping to try to occur..
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Yes

X2

X3
Posted By: PMK

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 05:39 PM

nope, no funnels in my feeders, rarely have an issue with them down to the last pound or so, hogs usually shove enough to shake the last bit out ... Congratulation on the new family addition!
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 10:07 PM

Yes.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 10:29 PM

When I hunted on a place where feeders were in use, we only used metal funnels with a spout that passed through an opening in the bottom of the barrel. Never plastic.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 08/31/20 11:55 PM

Get some poster board from the school supplies section of the dollar store. The pattern needs to be bigger than the diameter of the barrel. Make a pattern like the top pic. Then make your paper funnel to fit the barrel, once you have the pattern finalized take it to a AC tin shop, a good tin man can make it or you can make it yourself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 09/01/20 01:03 AM

Years back when I built all my own feeders including timers I didn't use funnels. Now I do, cause corns can set up like a rock, still can with a funnel but not as bad. We get a lot of rain in East Texas/Humidity etc.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 09/01/20 01:18 AM

Yes and no...the flow is better with and you wont have accumulation of corn on bottom. Have one that has been in operation for years without a funnell. From time to time I clean the old corn out.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 09/01/20 01:49 AM

Yes

Re: Funnels in your feeder? - 09/01/20 02:50 PM

I went ahead and ordered some to make it easy, with just a weekend i am trying to make everything quick.

I appreciate all of the feedback from yall.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum