Texas Hunting Forum

What type of protein are you feeding with

Posted By: Jeff in TX

What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 05:44 PM

Curious to know what kind of protein you're using in your protein feeders? Last year I tried Antler Max. I can say my deer really didn't care much for it. I filled both protein feeders in April of 19. This past April I still had about 25% left on a 150 lb gravity fed protein feeder? I didn't fuss with it this past spring by putting more in. My neighbor said he's been using Trophy Rack with good success! This past weekend I filled both protein feeders with it. I haven't pulled the SD camera cards yet to check the traffic, but I'm seeing lots of hoof tracks inside the pen.

Anybody else using another type of protein the deer really like?

As always "Thanks"
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 05:51 PM

12% Allstock. Twice as much protein as corn and cheap.

This time of year they are eating about 100-150 pounds a week on a 25 acre farm.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 06:01 PM

Lyssy & Eckel since 2012 here on my place. 365 days per year and no problem eating it when it is dry...eat less when it is raining average or more and the food plots are doing well.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 06:01 PM

We use Purina Antler Max at our place and the deer hammer it. We put out 4K pounds every 4 weeks and sometimes were empty in 3.
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 08:08 PM

Anything over 16% is a waste of money, unless you're getting it cheaper than a 16% pellet. Our biologist said that their bodies can only process about 16%. The rest is waste.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 08:36 PM

Some protein utilizes vitamin k while others utilize essential oils with each adding to the digestive process.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 08:40 PM

We're feeding Double Down but I'm not sure I'm getting the results I expected.

[Linked Image]

(jk, we're not feeding anything)

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 08:41 PM

Must be sucking protein out the air
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 08:59 PM

All of our neighbors feed protein, when we feed protein it is cotton seed.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 09:04 PM

Mixed record rack Golden Nugget with the local Coop blend.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 10:18 PM

Record rack. They hammer it. Been through over 40,000 pounds this year. We’ve seen deer walk off 40-50 yards when we pull up to fill them and not leave. As soon as we drive away they go right back to the feeder.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 10:34 PM

Since my life isn't complicated enough, I put Hi-Pro 17%, that I buy close to the house in my southern most protein feeder. It happens to be the most well-vented, since it's an early ASF combo feeder that I got free through a friend on here and the corn feeder mechanism was completely trashed; 'never clogs up, even during the Spring rains. The deer have always hammered it, hard.

I tried Antler Max in the other two protein feeders during the Spring (bought by the ranch) and all it was was a hassle; clogging, the deer didn't touch it, etc. I now run Lyssy & Eckels 20% (bought in Roosevelt) through those two feeders and the deer are hammering them. I also added (to complete the math on my Wildlife Valuation - protein feeder-to-acreage) a cheap, Texas Hunter 5-bag protein feeder, and I put the 17% Hi-Pro protein in it. 'Had to almost whip a doe off of it a day later after setting it up (to check the corn feeder close by.)

Pull the cards. Look at the pics. That's your best guide. Good hunting, and good luck! up
Posted By: Stompy

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 11:15 PM

Record Rack, it's all I can get in bulk around here.
Posted By: Hookem87

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/24/20 11:56 PM

Feeding Mummies 20%, and they eat it like my fat butt at the buffet!
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 12:15 AM

Antler Max going on 5 years now. They love it.
Posted By: tlk

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 01:14 AM

Man let's sum this up - Very FEW proteins on the market today are "bad protein" - if you are feeding a popular brand (L&E, etc.) then you are all good. They will all serve your deer well. End of the day it boils down to cost and delivery speed -

Protein is a SUPPLEMENTAL FEED! It does NOT control the overall quality of your deer herd. It is helpful during drought. Otherwise is has a small overall impact on your deer horns.

What does have impact is your management - be patient and let your deer age. Keep killing does and letting your bucks mature - very simple to do. Show restraint and the payoff will come - takes time but worth it IMO

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by tlk
Man let's sum this up - Very FEW proteins on the market today are "bad protein" - if you are feeding a popular brand (L&E, etc.) then you are all good. They will all serve your deer well. End of the day it boils down to cost and delivery speed -

Protein is a SUPPLEMENTAL FEED! It does NOT control the overall quality of your deer herd. It is helpful during drought. Otherwise is has a small overall impact on your deer horns.

What does have impact is your management - be patient and let your deer age. Keep killing does and letting your bucks mature - very simple to do. Show restraint and the payoff will come - takes time but worth it IMO

Agree 100%
Posted By: TLew

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 02:01 AM

What are the sentiments with ADM's Rack Plus?
Posted By: VMike

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 02:25 AM

Use High Pro, can't keep it in the feeder.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 09:59 AM

I am on odd-ball I suppose. I feed whatever is cheapest and still go through a ton a month. Have tried Double Down to check out the hype, (certainly not the cheapest), goat pellet, alfalfa pellets, 17% pellets, 20% pellets, Record Rack, etc....it all gets eaten and have never noticed the deer snub their nose at anything presented.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 11:37 AM

my deer are eating about 200lbs a week. Been feeding Red Chain, 20% chain reaction deer pellets for 4 years. They have never ate as much, as they are now.
Posted By: Jeff in TX

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 11:55 AM

Now I'm really curious, those feeding in bulk, where are you getting it and how much is the protein you purchase in bulk?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 12:04 PM

Years ago when I bought bulk the rule of thumb was that if you bought had delivered the same amount of bags in ton quantities as you bought had delivered in bulk, that you would save $25/ton. Basically the cost of bagging feed. The delivery cost would be the same. The big savings would be in trips to town to buy feed, your time, etc. The other big expense would be the cost of a storage or overhead bin vs. a barn to store feed in. Then the cost of a vehicle or trailer to put feed out. Long term the cost of bulk can pay for itself if you are feeding a lot. The one thing that can be a savings is if you have a bulk dealer close by that has an auger truck he can deliver and fill feeders with or has trailers you can rent to fill your feeders. Other option is if you buy your own feed trailer to buy bulk at a location nearby. You can also save on corn for spin feeders.

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 12:35 PM

Humble belief mine - bags are cleaner and help you keep the protein fresh. Just buy what you need and then put them into feeders. My experience is more dust with the use of bulk feed and augers. Resulting dust settles in the feeder ports and becomes more of a mess and especially when it does happen to rain. We work with five feeders. Three are lower profile Texas hunter 600 pound units which can be easily fed off the tailgate. Two others are larger 1,200 pounders which require driving directly next to the feeder and filling off the side rails of the bed or the truck box.

From time to time, others on our pasture have rented feed trailers for $50 and bought feed in bulk. The feed store is about 45 minutes away and you have to get that trailer back by the end of the day. You also have to set up a reservation in advance. Then you get to haul the trailer around the pasture, stuff the hose into the feeder, hold it here and notice all the dust involved with the auger mechanism. In addition, if you somehow end up with excess feed, you have to find a place to either store the remaining or dispose of it.

We have been feeding RHR (not Double Down) from Dilley the past several years. It is peanut based and let's just say the deer seem to appreciate it.

Considering it takes 4,200 pounds to top off our feeders when completely empty, if we can get down there often enough, it is best to just put a ton in the back of the P/U and avoid the trailer. Somewhat of a pain to unload a bunch of bags from a trailer on to a P/U and then unload them again to pour into feeders. If at all possible, we try to pick up bags as few times as possible. I have posted this photo several times, but it does give you an idea.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 12:57 PM

Antler max or Antlers plus (sportsmans choice). I've been getting the Antlers plus a lot more lately because that's what the feed store in Aspermont stocks. Once my deer started eating protein I can't tell they prefer one over the other.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Davis300
I am on odd-ball I suppose. I feed whatever is cheapest and still go through a ton a month. Have tried Double Down to check out the hype, (certainly not the cheapest), goat pellet, alfalfa pellets, 17% pellets, 20% pellets, Record Rack, etc....it all gets eaten and have never noticed the deer snub their nose at anything presented.

I've seen similar but It depends on location. My central Texas place is hit or miss. Deer are particular because they have natural browse unless it's a dry year, My South Texas place you could let your dog roll in it and they'ed still eat.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TX
Now I'm really curious, those feeding in bulk, where are you getting it and how much is the protein you purchase in bulk?

I go to the feed lot that is closest to me in Brady. I bought a feeder from them and promised to only by my protein from them. In exchange I get the trailer rental for free (bulk feed trailer with blower) and my cost is around .20 per pound.

This saves us about $2 - $3 dollars per 50 lbs. and it is much faster to get the feeders filled. With bags it takes us the better part of a day with 3-4 guys. With bulk two guys can knock it out in under 3 hours (this includes picking up the feed and dropping off the trailer). Approx 4000#'s per trip.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 03:25 PM

Have fed tis since 2007, because its what our feed guy sells and has been cost effective. The deer have never complained!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 08:38 PM

I've used Gorman Milling's Red Chain 17% Chain Reaction pellets in bulk for years. I have grain storage bins, and they deliver to my place about 2 hours from their store, so they have a wide area they deliver to. They charge a nominal fee to deliver, but the bulk price I bet saves me a $100 a ton, plus I don't have to pick it up, so I'm saving more money on gas, drive time and unloading.

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/25/20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TX

20 cents a pound.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/26/20 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Big_Ag
I've used Gorman Milling's Red Chain 17% Chain Reaction pellets in bulk for years. I have grain storage bins, and they deliver to my place about 2 hours from their store, so they have a wide area they deliver to. They charge a nominal fee to deliver, but the bulk price I bet saves me a $100 a ton, plus I don't have to pick it up, so I'm saving more money on gas, drive time and unloading.

We use them as well but we're 20 minutes from their Stephenville location. We call a few days in advance and secure what we need. Love it. Their nutritionist, Cary Zipp is a very informative dude. I could talk to him for hours on his philosophy behind how they created that blend.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/26/20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Originally Posted by Big_Ag

We use them as well but we're 20 minutes from their Stephenville location. We call a few days in advance and secure what we need. Love it. Their nutritionist, Cary Zipp is a very informative dude. I could talk to him for hours on his philosophy behind how they created that blend.

Red chain for us too. Deer literally walk past corn to gorge on this stuff.
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: What type of protein are you feeding with - 08/27/20 09:01 PM

i mix record rack golden nuggets and mummes apple scented corn
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum