Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder pen

Posted By: Buc1

Feeder pen - 08/16/20 08:08 PM

Well built a pen around the feeder to keep out the hogs. First one ever I’m guessing it will take few days for them to want to jump into it. With the wife’s help it turned out great I think.

Attached picture 13508DAE-83B2-4ECF-80BF-48DBAEB298D5.jpeg
Attached picture 1ABB9C9E-0237-4A20-A84C-B2281558D4BB.jpeg
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 08:35 PM

The deer will find it and will enjoy the feeder's bounty better without having to put up with the molestations provided by the piggies.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 08:54 PM

Looks good. up Nice setting.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 09:12 PM

Looking good. Nice view.

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 09:14 PM

Thanks guys. First year on the new place so can’t wait till November.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 09:25 PM

Looks pretty good, I recommend cutting the height down a couple squares on a few panels.......
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Buc1
Thanks guys. First year on the new place so can’t wait till November.

You probably already know this, but I want you to just entertain the idea of pulling the trigger your very first morning there. I have held off my first day on some leases and wound up regretting it. grin

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 09:32 PM

Will do. It’s 38 inches tall all the way and when I got home looking at the pics I thought about cutting the front down a foot. Or just rolling the panel down
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 09:58 PM

Looks good, it will work...can you back or drive a vehicle in the pen when corn is needed? up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 09:58 PM

up

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 10:07 PM

Yes sir. I have a 8ft section that I’m using as a gate
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 10:09 PM

I’ve never had luck with a pen that small. Doubled the size and it was full of deer 2 days later. Sorry for the bad news!

Re: Feeder pen - 08/16/20 10:16 PM

Dang. I used 12 8ft panels. Guess I’ll wait and see what happens if not back to add more
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Feeder pen - 08/17/20 01:12 AM

[Linked Image]I just made one with (12) 16' panels. Looking forward to seeing the game camera pics.

Attached picture 20200808_152623.jpg

Re: Feeder pen - 08/17/20 01:13 AM

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 20200726_150628.jpg
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder pen - 08/17/20 01:46 AM

Deer have really poor depth perception and small pens with a lot feeders, trees and brush in them will generally not see very high traffic. If it is very dry and they need the feed then they will jump in, just not in high numbers IME. I get very few deer in a smaller pen the one in the OP pic. I built a new pen in new feeder location back in March. That new pen is 14 of the 16' hog panels in size and I had multiple deer in it that same night. My other pens are 10 of the 16' hog panels.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Feeder pen - 08/17/20 02:58 AM

Deer are flight animals. They are constantly looking for a way out rather than a way in. The smaller the pen the more constricted they feel. I inherited a spot with a smallish pen already built. Not much activity. I increased the size and it made a noticeable difference.

Re: Feeder pen - 08/17/20 09:47 AM

B1, just give it a chance. I have seen a dozen deer in small hill country pens. Bigger is better, no doubt. Also more expensive and harder to put up. Check out your activity prior to revamping everything. You did the right thing. Separating the hogs from the feeder is the best thing you could have done. A bigger pen would have likely been better, but you have still accomplished what in my eyes would be goal numero uno. In addition, I don't believe there is any reason to cut down a 38 inch panel. Fawns won't get in, but you likely won't be shooting them anyway. Myself and many others here hope you gain solid results with your pen. I hope they make it crowded.

My square pens are three 34 16 foot, 34 inch high hog panels. I think I made my one, circle pen with 11, but that thee is fuzzy now.

[Linked Image]

Re: Feeder pen - 08/19/20 02:58 PM

Had a few start jumping over.

Attached picture 9B30043F-8331-4CDF-B571-E4FE9CC786E6.png

Re: Feeder pen - 08/19/20 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I’ll wait and see how this year goes then adjust from there.

Re: Feeder pen - 08/19/20 03:17 PM

Nice Jason, very nice.

Re: Feeder pen - 08/19/20 07:50 PM

As the saying goes, "if you build it, they will come".
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Feeder pen - 08/19/20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Buc1
Had a few start jumping over.

That’s awesome!

Re: Feeder pen - 08/20/20 12:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. I hunted in Abilene for 7 years with no hogs and never had to build any pens. So this is a first for me. I have couple other feeders going and haven’t had any hogs on them yet. Key word is yet. I have more room in those areas might try little larger pen like you showed me.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder pen - 08/20/20 02:39 AM

Glad they were not bothered by the new feed pen. cheers It is good you started in August when the conditions are not as good as in the spring. The only issue you may see is when the bucks get into hard horns and the rut gets closer is that size may limit the other deer from jumping in with a dominant buck in the pen. They tend to keep all the other bucks away and sometimes even the does. Do you road feed or feed extra corn when hunting? That may be a way during hunting season to increase your buck or total deer activity by feeding an area outside the feeder.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Feeder pen - 08/20/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
B1, just give it a chance. I have seen a dozen deer in small hill country pens. Bigger is better, no doubt. Also more expensive and harder to put up. Check out your activity prior to revamping everything. You did the right thing. Separating the hogs from the feeder is the best thing you could have done. A bigger pen would have likely been better, but you have still accomplished what in my eyes would be goal numero uno. In addition, I don't believe there is any reason to cut down a 38 inch panel. Fawns won't get in, but you likely won't be shooting them anyway. Myself and many others here hope you gain solid results with your pen. I hope they make it crowded.

My square pens are three 34 16 foot, 34 inch high hog panels. I think I made my one, circle pen with 11, but that thee is fuzzy now.

[Linked Image]

Your pasture is way over grazed......might cut back in a few head.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Feeder pen - 08/20/20 03:47 AM

Is that a browse line I see along the edge of the pen?

I think you are above carrying capacity there Hud.... bolt

Re: Feeder pen - 08/20/20 10:43 AM

When that photo was taken, yes. We now have the grazing "under control" with an extremely beneficial alliance. In fact, I never knew our place could hold so much grass. Now holding 108 cows on 5,500 acres, we don't think they can hurt it. Used to be what seemed like well in excess of 200 (saw 62 in one group) and that threw the place over the tipping point for awhile.

Re: Feeder pen - 08/21/20 02:08 AM

I only use the feeder. I have noticed my feeder does throw corn on the outside a little cause I see the deer eating around the pen. I might hand throw some during hunting season.

Re: Feeder pen - 08/31/20 09:37 AM

This is an example of a round pen. Setting the gate posts wee the hardest part. 11 or twelve panels plus a used 12 ft gate found on the property. 140 yards to the blind.
[Linked Image]

This is square one. Hardest part were the gate posts and the corners. Three overlapped 16'panles per side. I do not feed free choice during the season and that there protein feeder will come out of the pen soon. On this one, a panel serves as the gate. This one is at the same blind as the one above, but another 140 yards from the blind in the opposite direction. I have photos of deer in this pen that do not appear in the other.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Feeder pen - 08/31/20 01:45 PM

Great looking pen hudbone.

Are those standard 36" high wire panels and if so, any trouble with cattle coming over them?

Re: Feeder pen - 08/31/20 01:58 PM

34 inch hog panels. I know some people despise this practice, but we typically put a strand of barb wire above the panels. We had a problem with the cattle guy overgrazing the place. Had cattle issues and especially so in round pens where we could not get the wire tight. The 2nd pen was built at the end of that guy's grazing lease and the pasture was allowed to go free for a year. When a new cattle guy was secured, the owner placed restrictions on how many cattle could be on the place. That took care of the over-grazing issue. That was two seasons ago and we have not had any issues since then. If this issue ever comes back, I will without hesitation run a string of wire across the top making it so tight you can play a tune. Can't do that with the round pen, but sure can do it with the square pen with 2 3/4" inch corner posts which were driven in with one of those mechanized post drivers which look like a modified chain saw. That there thingie was worth its weight in gold and especially since Klappenbach bought it.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Feeder pen - 08/31/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
34 inch hog panels. I know some people despise this practice, but we typically put a strand of barb wire above the panels. We had a problem with the cattle guy overgrazing the place. Had cattle issues and especially so in round pens where we could not get the wire tight. The 2nd pen was built at the end of that guy's grazing lease and the pasture was allowed to go free for a year. When a new cattle guy was secured, the owner placed restrictions on how many cattle could be on the place. That took care of the over-grazing issue. That was two seasons ago and we have not had any issues since then. If this issue ever comes back, I will without hesitation run a string of wire across the top making it so tight you can play a tune. Can't do that with the round pen, but sure can do it with the square pen with 2 3/4" inch corner posts which were driven in with one of those mechanized post drivers which look like a modified chain saw. That there thingie was worth its weight in gold and especially since Klappenbach bought it.

I hear ya and you are right, most of the time cattle will not even attempt it unless they get really hungry.
Now, if they get a taste of protein it sometimes changes everything and you will need a rhino proof pen to keep em out.

As far as a strand of barbed wire across the top goes, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had a cow getting in!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum