Posted By: USMC89

AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 01:54 AM

1yr old that should walk or take him?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: freerange

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 02:09 AM

Do you know that he’s 1yr or is that your estimate?

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
Do you know that he’s 1yr or is that your estimate?

Just a guesstimate. Are you thinking older?
Posted By: majekman

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 02:16 AM

No way that deer is one. Prob shuda shot him last year...
Posted By: freerange

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 02:18 AM

Serious hock stainage for never been in hard antler before. I assume smaller bodied hill country deer..?

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 02:20 AM

Washington county deer. It’s my First year hunting this area.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 02:22 AM

2 yr old spike.
Posted By: majekman

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 02:31 AM

Sotex...as free stated the hock stain is what I was looking at. I’d say 3yo spike that needs shootin. Could he be 2 with hocks like that? Teach me

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 02:46 AM

Sounds like shoot it is. Thank y’all.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by majekman
Sotex...as free stated the hock stain is what I was looking at. I’d say 3yo spike that needs shootin. Could he be 2 with hocks like that? Teach me

For what I look at the staining on the hock is what made me say 2 yr old. The shape of the hock itself made me say more 2 yr old than 1 yr old. The hock pad shape is more of a rectangle than a round pad of a 3 yr old or older buck. It is still longer than round like the shape of an older buck hock would be...just to much staining for a 1 yr old. He could be 3 but does not have the body size of a 3 yr old buck or the hock pad size at this point for me to say 3. The opposite side hock being a bit rounder looking in that one pic does make him look older though. He is about the same size as those adult does in the pics. My guess is he was born very late and is not even 2 yr old yet...maybe in 4-6 weeks he will be. If he was born to a doe fawn or just born late to an older doe, he would be smaller body size for that reason alone as a 2 yr old.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 05:36 AM

Older spike drop him.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 01:45 PM

Here’s what I see:

Photo 1: small buck in the background, a doe in the background, unidentifiable deer in the back ground, what appears to be a does head under the feeder (could be another spike but think it’s a doe). Our spike is in the foreground facing left we can see his right tarsal gland appears oblong and is dark. Also appears to have long skinny legs.

Photo 2: three deer head down at the feeder eating, dawn just to the left of the feeder, one deer in the background walking away. No way to know for sure the sex of the three deer for sure, I assume it to be two does and the small buck from photo 1. The deer on the right side of the feeder has a dark tarsal gland. Our spike is in the foreground facing right, we can see his left tarsal gland it appears smaller than right more rounded and less stained. Long slinger muzzle, thin neck, long legs. Given he’s in the foreground I’d say he does not look as large as the deer directly behind him slightly to the left, that deers hind quarters appear more filled out and larger.

Photo3: two deer head down under the feeder, what appears to be a does head coming from the right. Our spike center frame, a does hind quarter on the left side of the team just in front of the spike. The deer near the middle of the background looking hard quartered away appears to have a larger but but it’s hard to say at that angle. The doe in the foreground’s hindquarter looks larger than the spikes, and her tarsal gland is dark. Again we can see our spikes right tarsal gland that is oblong and dark.

In all three pictures the spike appears to be circling the feeder while other deer eat directly under the feeder most if not all of those deer being does. I’d say he is either 1 1/2 or a late born fawn about to be 2. Either way I would not shoot him. The reason for this is you previously posted you had not gotten a single picture of a buck since you put the camera out. A lot of does but no bucks. This is the only pics you’ve posted of bucks and the both appear immature I’m assuming your low fence given that and you large number of does I’d focus more on buck doe ratio, buck age structure, and nutrition before I started shooting spikes. All that is assuming your property is large enough to have a management impact on the herd.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 01:47 PM

He’s ripe for a tag
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/16/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by majekman
No way that deer is one. Prob shuda shot him last year...

What he said.
Posted By: Deersteaks

Re: AR county pass or shoot. - 08/22/20 01:23 AM

For what it's worth, my experience has been that a spike that is no larger in body frame than the does he is running around with is a 1 1/2 old deer. A 2 1/2 year old buck should be quite a bit larger framed, although there are always exceptions to the rule. I would pass on him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum