Texas Hunting Forum

Deer reacting to off season pressure

Posted By: Texas Dan

Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/02/20 05:31 PM

I was hog hog hunting yesterday in East Texas when I heard someone in the distance begin target practicing. It was just a few minutes later than I noticed four doe running across the pasture heading away from the direction of the sound of rifle shots and towards the thickest brush on the tract. Although whoever it was practicing was probably a half-mile away, I couldn't help but notice how these doe had reacted to the sounds of rifle shots. The area is usually very quiet this time of the year so perhaps that's what apparently spooked them. There's no question they were headed towards the safety of thick cover, but I would have thought it would have taken a lot of more noise to spook deer this time of year. Some claim it's just a matter of what deer have become accustomed to with their surroundings. Not sure but maybe illegal off season night hunting is at play.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/02/20 06:22 PM

It is east TX, is there an offseason for deer here?
Posted By: Lalo

Re: Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/02/20 07:39 PM

Texas Dan, please tell the rest of us how you found a place in East Texas that is peaceful. Shooting is pretty much a constant where I am at. A deer running from it would never stop. There is so much shooting where I am at that I don't worry about my pups getting gun shy. They -- and the deer -- are raised inured to it.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/03/20 12:34 AM

popcorn
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/04/20 12:45 AM

I shoot hogs all the time with deer around and they rarely even react
Posted By: Deersteaks

Re: Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/05/20 01:55 AM

I think it was just coincidental. During gun season, I hear shots going off in all directions, some even on my own lease, and deer that are under my feeder or just out and about rarely even look up or in the direction of the shot. Not saying that in time they won't get worked up, but I think most of the deer simply react to massive amounts of human scent that has suddenly started showing up. The deer you saw probably ran from a coyote or something.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/05/20 06:34 PM

I've got a private 600 yard range where I shoot almost every weekend. I've got a feeder hanging in a tree about half way between the bench and the 600 yard berm and about 100 yards off to the side. Routinely see deer there eating corn while we're banging away on the gong. Have also driven up to the berm several times to repaint the target and had deer standing right behind the berm. They couldn't care less about the shooting or the people. It's all about what the deer are accustomed to.

BTW - I don't hunt this place, even though I could. The feeder is just there for entertainment and because I like to watch deer.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/05/20 07:49 PM

We have a 300 yard rifle range on our lease with two shooting benches at the edge of our campground. I have a 1/4 acre plot and stand about 100 yards off to the side of the end of the rifle range. I regularly watch deer feeding on the plot while guys are banging away on the range, They don't even look up. But if someone cranks up an ATV in the campground they immediately become alert.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Deer reacting to off season pressure - 08/05/20 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Deersteaks
The deer you saw probably ran from a coyote or something.

I thought that as well and have killed coyotes chasing deer. However, in this case the size of the pasture and my wide view of it makes me feel confident there was nothing chasing them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum