Texas Hunting Forum

What got him?

Posted By: Creekrunner

What got him? - 07/05/20 02:40 PM

I know all don't always make the summer. Looks like he woulda been decent. Found this morning.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 02:59 PM

How close is the nearest highway?

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 03:01 PM

1/4+ mile.
Posted By: Stub

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 03:12 PM

Flip him over so we can examine the other side, also rear end shots would help grin
Posted By: don k

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 03:16 PM

Good question. You will most likely never know for sure.

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Flip him over so we can examine the other side, also rear end shots would help grin

The grandson was about to puke as it was. roflmao sick
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 03:20 PM

Car
Disease
Lightning
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 03:55 PM

Don't look like death was immediate. Area in between legs appears to be disturbed as if he was flailing. Poor fella'.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 03:59 PM

Are the neighbors there this weekend peep...asking for a friend bolt
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 04:01 PM

Shame he does look like he was gonna be a good one

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Don't look like death was immediate. Area in between legs appears to be disturbed as if he was flailing. Poor fella'.

That's the buzzards opening the paunch.

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Are the neighbors there this weekend peep...asking for a friend bolt

roflmao 'Don't believe Budreaux be dare dis weekend. laugh

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 05:32 PM

What I can tell from that one photo(more photos would help) is that it appears that deer just laid down in that spot and died. No struggle, not predator take down, no trauma from an auto collision or any outwards sign of health issues. To me, if it had been coyotes there would not be much left of that deer. Birds go for the soft tissue areas of the eyes, tongue and rear end first. They will go to a bullet hole also for ease into the body cavity. You can tell where the birds were working on the deer first by how the ground is beat down. The ground around the deer did show any signs of him struggling to get up, just the deer laid down and died. If he had a fever or was injured I would think he would have been in a shady area when you found him. From talking to friends about it in the past one disease where you can find them dead in random locations in the wide open like this is Anthrax. Don't think it is Anthrax though but we are getting to the right time of the year when it starts to show. With some of the other diseases, they seem to seek out a cooler spot in the shade or in water for the fever associated with it.

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 07:35 PM

He was in a shady spot, but not tucked under a tree.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 08:58 PM

bang
Posted By: jdickey

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 09:28 PM

He was the LOSER of the fight with BIG BOY! ! ! We do need to see the other side, lots of blood on that right antler!

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by jdickey
We do need to see the other side...

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 09:46 PM

He was the LOSER of the fight with BIG BOY! ! ! We do need to see the other side, lots of blood on that right antler!

nidea Well he is in the middle of his velvet antler growth this time of the year....so...yeah there would be a lot of blood on his antlers with the soft tissue/velvet being eaten first. Deer will eat their own velvet when they strip it off also.
Posted By: don k

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 10:05 PM

nidea Well he is in the middle of his velvet antler growth this time of the year....so...yeah there would be a lot of blood on his antlers with the soft tissue/velvet being eaten first. Deer will eat their own velvet when they strip it off also.

I think you may never find out. Sometimes it is better if you don't. The velvet gone on the antlers was probably from varmints or buzzards.

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by don k

I think you may never find out. Sometimes it is better if you don't. The velvet gone on the antlers was probably from varmints or buzzards.

'Gotta acquiesce to my "elders" on this one. I've learned from my family's drama - there's some things I'll never figure out, but I'm way better off in the long run. up
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What got him? - 07/05/20 11:09 PM

Must have had dirt on the Clinton’s
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 12:15 AM

Could be a poacher,,,,,bullet hole on other side, no exit wound.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Must have had dirt on the Clinton’s

rofl up
Posted By: titan2232

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 12:50 PM

This time last year is when Anthrax took our herd and this deer has a similar look. Body intact, eyes gone, and some body fluid on the ground around the animal
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 01:04 PM

It was quick whatever it was!
The deer looks in good shape, so my guess would be hit by a car and 1/4+ of a mile isn't anything for even a bad hurt animal to travel.
I would rule out disease if there is no history of anthrax or any other in your area.
Was the deer headed in the direction of a nearby water hole?
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 05:29 PM

Any game cameras around?

I had one like that last year. I had pictures of him at 9:30 am fighting with a smaller buck in the middle of the pictures. He was found dead a couple hours later just out of the picture area. He had one eye pushed into his brain. I assume the smaller guy killed him.

I don't think an antler in velvet would pierce the brain.

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 05:38 PM

He wasn't too terribly far from one of my water troughs and he's pointed that direction.

No anthrax in the area (far north Kimble County).

I think it's him (uneven brow tines) on a trail cam at a protein feeder a few nights before; same small area.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 05:52 PM

Time to call Joe Kenda!

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
He wasn't too terribly far from one of my water troughs and he's pointed that direction.

I think it's him (uneven brow tines) on a trail cam at a protein feeder a few nights before; same small area.

There has been a history of Anthrax in Menard county in the past...IIRC mostly western Menard county. Still don't think that deer died from Anthrax. Anthrax has been found in a lot of counties in Texas.
[Linked Image]
https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/...ions-symptoms-and-advice-for-landowners/

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by stinkbelly
Any game cameras around?

I had one like that last year. I had pictures of him at 9:30 am fighting with a smaller buck in the middle of the pictures. He was found dead a couple hours later just out of the picture area. He had one eye pushed into his brain. I assume the smaller guy killed him.

They won’t fight in velvet it’s extremely painful to them for their antlers to get hit

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 07:12 PM

There has been a history of Anthrax in Menard county in the past...IIRC mostly western Menard county. Still don't think that deer died from Anthrax. Anthrax has been found in a lot of counties in Texas.
[Linked Image]

Only about 15 or 20 acres is in Menard.

So if it was south of the line it’s 100% definitely not anthrax. Could be CWD, unless it was in Menard county, then no way it could be CWD....

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by stinkbelly
Any game cameras around?

They won’t fight in velvet it’s extremely painful to them for their antlers to get hit

They will stand up and box each other and it will get fur flying. Sharp hooves can do a lot of internal damage and not break the skin.

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 08:04 PM

[Linked Image]

Only about 15 or 20 acres is in Menard.

So if it was south of the line it’s 100% definitely not anthrax. Could be CWD, unless it was in Menard county, then no way it could be CWD....

To bad vultures can't fly across county borders......or a deer walk across a county border....
Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 09:23 PM

lack of air.
Posted By: rickym

Re: What got him? - 07/06/20 09:33 PM

Definitely coronavirus!

Re: What got him? - 07/08/20 04:18 AM

African dust maybe?

Re: What got him? - 07/08/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
African dust maybe?

highly probable that it had something to do with it. That dust probably picked up some Anthrax along the way and snagged a touch of Covid as well, creating the perfect "cocktail" if you will to cause this young bucks demise as soon as he took his first breath that fateful morning.

Re: What got him? - 07/08/20 10:59 PM

African dust maybe?

highly probable that it had something to do with it. That dust probably picked up some Anthrax along the way and snagged a touch of Covid as well, creating the perfect "cocktail" if you will to cause this young bucks demise as soon as he took his first breath that fateful morning.

If you think that buck is a young buck then you need to go get your eyes checked. With more pics, my money might be on EHD or Blue Tongue as the cause of death. Very common in that area and north/northwestwards up towards Angelo had EHD back a few years ago.
[Linked Image]

Re: What got him? - 07/08/20 11:30 PM

What...in the hell...is EHD? "Hemorrhagic" for the second letter Alex. I need something new to worry about.

Re: What got him? - 07/08/20 11:44 PM

What...in the hell...is EHD? "Hemorrhagic" for the second letter Alex. I need something new to worry about.

Little early in the year but IIRC, it hit a buddy of mines ranch up NW of Angelo in June that first year. Probably not what killed that buck but you never know. More and more people pay attention to their land these days via trail cams or spending more time on their land, that leads to finding more dead critters before the scavengers get to them.
https://texashuntingtimes.com/ehd-in-deer-how-does-ehd-kill-deer/
Posted By: freerange

Re: What got him? - 07/08/20 11:57 PM

Little early in the year but IIRC, it hit a buddy of mines ranch up NW of Angelo in June that first year. Probably not what killed that buck but you never know. More and more people pay attention to their land these days via trail cams or spending more time on their land, that leads to finding more dead critters before the scavengers get to them.
https://texashuntingtimes.com/ehd-in-deer-how-does-ehd-kill-deer/

Oh no!!! I read STX link and EHD has something to do with a "VIRUS"!!!! Say it aint so. Cant handle another thread about virus. Just dont start talking about puttin mask of deer to slow the spread. grin

Re: What got him? - 07/09/20 02:14 AM

African dust maybe?

If you think that buck is a young buck then you need to go get your eyes checked. With more pics, my money might be on EHD or Blue Tongue as the cause of death. Very common in that area and north/northwestwards up towards Angelo had EHD back a few years ago.
[Linked Image]

I had to use the term young buck for dramatic effect. No one cares if something middle age dies.

I’ve heard EHD is one of the biggest mortality causes in non-traumatic ( fighting, cars, bullets) cases

[Linked Image]

Re: What got him? - 07/09/20 05:21 PM

You throw enough cheat on the wall, something is going to stick! smile ani
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum