Texas Hunting Forum

Fawns are the Fix for Most Deer-Hunting "Mistakes"

Posted By: freerange

Fawns are the Fix for Most Deer-Hunting "Mistakes" - 06/04/20 04:54 PM

"I bring good news to all deer hunters who think they made some “mistake” last season or feel like “disaster” struck: The arrival of fawns each spring is the annual correction that makes it difficult for us to do long-term damage to deer populations."

The above quote started out a current article from QDMA. Im not sure I know how to copy the link or if im even supposed to on here. If some one wants to post it thats fine. Pretty basic stuff but a good read to help keep us kinda grounded when we might tend to go over board worrying about our management plan. The jist of the article says that the annual replenishment of fawns every year will go a long ways to fix any manmade or nature made perceived "mistakes/problems". It does not say that killing an individual buck before he reaches maturity wont possibly keep that buck from being the buck of a lifetime but it also wont hurt a whole bunch for the long term. Even if you shoot out the entire older age class of bucks it will only take a few years to get it back. Personally, our management goal is to never kill a buck before his prime(unless very inferior), much less kill a bunch of younger bucks. But I also know we need to keep it all in perspective cause the deer world will keep turning. God/Nature is just that good.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Fawns are the Fix for Most Deer-Hunting "Mistakes" - 06/04/20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
"I bring good news to all deer hunters who think they made some “mistake” last season or feel like “disaster” struck: The arrival of fawns each spring is the annual correction that makes it difficult for us to do long-term damage to deer populations."

The above quote started out a current article from QDMA. Im not sure I know how to copy the link or if im even supposed to on here. If some one wants to post it thats fine. Pretty basic stuff but a good read to help keep us kinda grounded when we might tend to go over board worrying about our management plan. The jist of the article says that the annual replenishment of fawns every year will go a long ways to fix any manmade or nature made perceived "mistakes/problems". It does not say that killing an individual buck before he reaches maturity wont possibly keep that buck from being the buck of a lifetime but it also wont hurt a whole bunch for the long term. Even if you shoot out the entire older age class of bucks it will only take a few years to get it back. Personally, our management goal is to never kill a buck before his prime(unless very inferior), much less kill a bunch of younger bucks. But I also know we need to keep it all in perspective cause the deer world will keep turning. God/Nature is just that good.

Anthrax just giggled at this a little
Posted By: rickym

Re: Fawns are the Fix for Most Deer-Hunting "Mistakes" - 06/04/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by titan2232
Originally Posted by freerange

Anthrax just giggled at this a little

So did large groups in other states that run dogs and drives.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum