Texas Hunting Forum

Age and Score 2

Posted By: freerange

Age and Score 2 - 05/14/20 10:55 PM

Another one. Same stand as the other deer. Actually the same day I believe. Another clean 6x5 very similar to the other but different deer. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/14/20 11:14 PM

3.5 mid 30’s.

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 12:08 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So youre saying theres about 25" difference in this one and the other thread....? I think you were in a rush. But theres no right answer cause they still alive.
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 12:17 AM

My WAG:
low-mid 150's
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 12:26 AM

4-4.5 and mid 140s
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
3.5 mid 40’s.

I think Bobo has the stx syndrome

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by txshntr
3.5 mid 40’s.

Im not sure what STx syndrome is but I noticed in the past that Stx seemed to usually be a little low on scores but I respect him enough that I figured he was right and I was wrong. I haven't paid as much attention to Bobos scoring but he seems very knowledgeable as well so the juries still out.

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So youre saying theres about 25" difference in this one and the other thread....? I think you were in a rush. But theres no right answer cause they still alive.

Yes 2 years age difference, and 70lbs. Shorter beamed, narrower and a lot less tine.

I just don’t seem him breaking 40, but I can see him exploding with that frame at 6.5 And getting to high mid 60’s.

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 12:51 AM

3.5 mid 40’s.

Im not sure what STx syndrome is but I noticed in the past that Stx seemed to usually be a little low on scores but I respect him enough that I figured he was right and I was wrong. I haven't paid as much attention to Bobos scoring but he seems very knowledgeable as well so the juries still out.

Stx is very knowledgeable. He just has a hard time with Red Coats meaning he is historically low on them. Bobo is typically pretty accurate too but your last two posts, I think he was low....so I call it the STX syndrome grin

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 12:58 AM

3.5 mid 40’s.

Long standing joke, normally I’m pretty spot-on on red coats and STX is usually lower, a lot

But he smokes me on stx deer

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 01:01 AM

I feel im pretty good at scoring but Im good enough to know that's its extremely hard to do. I don't know the age, weight or score of these two bucks but they were out there at the same time that day and they didn't "look" but about 6" to 10" different. I also have a lot more pics of both, so theres that.....
I do love playing this game though and I got more coming. Another buck same day same stand. My internet is horrible when I visit Mom though so its slow going.

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 01:04 AM

I feel im pretty good at scoring but Im good enough to know that's its extremely hard to do. I don't know the age, weight or score of these two bucks but they were out there at the same time that day and they didn't "look" but about 6" to 10" different. I also have a lot more pics of both, so theres that.....
I do love playing this game though and I got more coming. Another buck same day same stand. My internet is horrible when I visit Mom though so its slow going.

I'm not as good as some but have always enjoyed the age/score threads. Even more fun when the poster knows the actual score to see how close we are but I will take what I can get cheers

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 01:11 AM

Any early season side by side?

IMO you have 10 just in g1’s and spread, which means beams are likely shorter also. I hope second one makes it a few more years, think he has a special frame.

You need to be shed hunting!!!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 01:13 AM

Scoring on the hoof is just time, practice, more time and lots of practice. Having hunted Webb and Zapata counties for nearly 40 years, I've gotten a lot of both. I've conservatively seen hundreds if not thousands of different bucks on the hoof throughout those years. Usually 5-8 different bucks per sitting. Not perfect but pretty darned accomplished at it. North Texas bucks to me can be surprisingly tricky to score; often they carry more mass than first view reveals has been my experience. THF has some good experienced hunters that are good scorers IMO.

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 01:56 AM

Any early season side by side?

IMO you have 10 just in g1’s and spread, which means beams are likely shorter also. I hope second one makes it a few more years, think he has a special frame.

You need to be shed hunting!!!

No side by side.
It does seem to add up when you look at like that. Im tired now so ill have to look when fresh.
Havent really looked for sheds but the Ranch has years worth of sheds like 100s and 100s. Ive scored 40 of the bigger sheds from years past. Rough estimated another 90 or so sheds.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 11:48 AM

4 yo. 141"
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 04:26 PM

4 1/2 146- 148
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 04:41 PM

Nice up and comer.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 04:47 PM

I live for these deer. They don't always increase as far as I think they can, but that there imagining and hoping is a wonderful thing. I am hoping this one explodes..

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/15/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
I live for these deer. They don't always increase as far as I think they can, but that there imagining and hoping is a wonderful thing. I am hoping this one explodes..

Yep, they don't always get a lot bigger but sometimes they do so you gotta role the dice. On my other lease we had one go from a 135 at 4 to 166 at 5. Im still not positive its the same deer but everybody else is certain. We don't even feed protein. Definitely never seen one get bigger after he got killed.
Ive got one coming up later to post that's real young and im excited. Stay tuned...
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Age and Score 2 - 05/18/20 01:12 PM

Yes 2 years age difference, and 70lbs. Shorter beamed, narrower and a lot less tine.

I just don’t seem him breaking 40, but I can see him exploding with that frame at 6.5 And getting to high mid 60’s.

I completely agree. What a future MONSTER.
I honestly think this deer looks 2.5.

There is no way this deer breaks 140 and likely is mid to low 30s. I can't see his brows well enough but allowing 6" for both I see 42"-43" on tines and there is no way he is much bigger than 91"-92" on this frame at this stage. 133"-135"

I sure hope he gets pics of him this year because he could make a 20"-30" jump.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum