Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder pens

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Feeder pens - 05/05/20 06:30 PM

First time in years, but we're needing feeder pens. What are yall using that works or doesn't work?

Thinking something like cattle panels 32 foot per side?

Some are telling me about using half a panel, raised a foot or 18 inches, with one barbed wire top strand?

Let me hear your ideas and thoughts...
Posted By: BDB

Re: Feeder pens - 05/05/20 07:59 PM

I used hog panels (the holes are smaller on the bottom so the little piggies cannot get in) I think I used 10 panels and made mine round. Sq is easiest but I read where a buck can corner another buck in the corner if the pen is sq....round lets a buck escape easier if he's getting his a$$ kicked. Then I cut the top wire lower in 3 spots to allow fawns to still jump in. Mature deer just jump in where they want but alot still use the lower areas. Secure the joints of panels good as big hogs will try to nose their way in if they detect a weak spot.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Feeder pens - 05/05/20 08:08 PM

I don't like the barbed wire strand above the cattle panel due to the height. Cattle panels usually are already 50".
We made some from medium weight square tubing with hog panels making the tubing frame 6"-8" taller than the 34" hog panels so that the pen is 40"-42" high.
8 panels bolted together in an octagon makes your pen about 38' across. Bolting them together makes it very, very easy to assemble/disassemble in the field and to haul on a trailer as well.
This kind of pen will end up costing you about $400 or so to build your self and does not really take very long to do it. Tubing is easy to work with and weld the frames together.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Feeder pens - 05/05/20 09:00 PM

Posted By: PMK

Re: Feeder pens - 05/05/20 09:08 PM

I use the 32-34" hog panels from Tractor Supply Company. We typically use 6-10 panels depending on the location with a T-post at each end with one in the middle except where we back in the pen to fill the feeder. We normally shift that middle post slightly to one side to allow more room for margin backing up to the feeder. Overlap the panels slightly when wiring together for more strength.

I have feral cattle, horses and hogs on the place SW of Ozona and never had one get in built like this but they still push on the sides some trying to reach the outer limits of the corn. Just need to make the pen slightly bigger than the feeder slings the corn, so all the corn is fully contained inside the pen, a few extra feet to prevent them leaning over/pushing on the pen.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Feeder pens - 05/07/20 06:28 AM

We just use hog panels but bucks only jump for does. Fawns jump in no issue from what I have ever seen. My favorite feeder is 7 in a circle and 5 to 7 does eat fine. We have them as large as 12 but location seems the biggest variable. Cows have never jumped ours here. But old place they would but way smaller so hungrier maybe.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Feeder pens - 05/07/20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by sig226fan (Rguns.com)
First time in years, but we're needing feeder pens. What are yall using that works or doesn't work?

Thinking something like cattle panels 32 foot per side?

Some are telling me about using half a panel, raised a foot or 18 inches, with one barbed wire top strand?

Let me hear your ideas and thoughts...

Hog 15panels round
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Feeder pens - 05/12/20 04:20 PM

Hog panels, I like a minimum of 10 with 1/2 rebar tied together with those metal ties (like zip ties but metal).

To make work easy, we will take half of the panels and lay them out, tie ends together, then stand up in a half circle. Do the same with the other half connecting each end. The pen stands without any post in a circle. Adjust circle as needed then start adding in your post/rebar. With a 1 1/2” bit and a masonry rotary hammer + a generator, you can put one of these up in about 30 min.
Over the past 10 years or so, I bet we’ve done close to 35-40 this way.. you get smart real quick after doing the first couple with the ol tpost driver, especially in rocky areas.

Here’s an example of the ties I use.
https://www.amazon.com/SunplusTrade...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

The bit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-1...t-for-Concrete-Drilling-HC5093/203621299

The masonry rotary hammer
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...r-with-SHOCKS-and-Case-D25481K/301709483
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Feeder pens - 05/12/20 04:24 PM

Squared so you can tighten barb wire if need be. Three 16 foot 34 inch hog panels aside and overlapped. Gives you about 45 by 45. If a gate is used place it on any side not between the pen and the blind.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Feeder pens - 05/12/20 05:35 PM

All good ideas. Have seen folks put the hog panels on the inside of the T-posts, oops. Prefer round or octagon myself, but if you do a square pen I would suggest anchoring each corner with additional T-post set at an angle and wire to corner post. For some reason cows and hogs like to rub on the corner posts.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Feeder pens - 05/12/20 05:45 PM

Round, t-posts on the inside, one at each end and one in the middle, overlap by 3 squares, and use at least 8. Pro tip -- find a buddy with a motorized t-post driver
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum