Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Jail

Posted By: Espy

Deer Jail - 04/25/20 03:06 AM

I had hogs starting to show up on a hay field.I placed a small hog trap and tied open the trap door. Had at least 6 different bucks and several doe enter the trap. I ended up building a large circle trap that the deer could jump out of and never used this trap. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Deer Jail - 04/25/20 02:06 PM

curious fellas
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Deer Jail - 04/25/20 02:40 PM

Deer beat the heck out of themselves in those box traps. I took the advise from another member and sprayed the entrance with WD 40. Never caught another deer and the hogs entered it freely.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Deer Jail - 04/25/20 05:03 PM

I know where you're coming from! About thirty years ago, my brother had a similar hog trap on our deer lease and he had the door set all the way open out in a brushy pasture. One morning as I'm riding down the lease road I glance out toward the trap and think to myself, "Wow, that bull is standing right next to the trap." All of a sudden the trap moves and I realize the bull is IN the trap with the door closed! Not only that but he has bounced the trap around and the trap is upside down with him inside and he is pissed off. He was so crammed in there I cannot believe that he got in the thing! Guess he wanted that sour corn.

I was alone at the lease so I called my brother at work and he rushed over there in about 30 minutes. He had a 4 wheel drive that could get to where the trap was and the plan was for him to back up to the trap and I would be in the back and put a hooked chain on the door and we would try to rip the door off since the trap was upside down and the locking mechanism was messed up.

Just as we got within about 30 feet of the trap the bull who was getting more and more agitated rocked the trap and the welded rebar trap literally exploded into pieces and the bull sauntered out. He was still pissed but he didn't seem to have any cuts or be limping so I checked on him over the next week and he seemed non the worse for wear. Needless to say we, learned to keep the rebuilt traps door partially closed so only smaller animals could go in and out!
Posted By: don k

Re: Deer Jail - 04/26/20 06:21 PM

We normally put road kills in the traps for hogs.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Deer Jail - 04/27/20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ringtail
I know where you're coming from! About thirty years ago, my brother had a similar hog trap on our deer lease and he had the door set all the way open out in a brushy pasture. One morning as I'm riding down the lease road I glance out toward the trap and think to myself, "Wow, that bull is standing right next to the trap." All of a sudden the trap moves and I realize the bull is IN the trap with the door closed! Not only that but he has bounced the trap around and the trap is upside down with him inside and he is pissed off. He was so crammed in there I cannot believe that he got in the thing! Guess he wanted that sour corn.

I was alone at the lease so I called my brother at work and he rushed over there in about 30 minutes. He had a 4 wheel drive that could get to where the trap was and the plan was for him to back up to the trap and I would be in the back and put a hooked chain on the door and we would try to rip the door off since the trap was upside down and the locking mechanism was messed up.

Just as we got within about 30 feet of the trap the bull who was getting more and more agitated rocked the trap and the welded rebar trap literally exploded into pieces and the bull sauntered out. He was still pissed but he didn't seem to have any cuts or be limping so I checked on him over the next week and he seemed non the worse for wear. Needless to say we, learned to keep the rebuilt traps door partially closed so only smaller animals could go in and out!

That's a story
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Deer Jail - 04/27/20 01:14 PM

A Game warden told me that every deer he’s ever gotten out of traps dies.

A hog trap that doesn’t let deer out will kill deer.

No telling how many deer are killed bunhog traps every year.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Deer Jail - 04/27/20 01:35 PM

A few years ago I had a doe in one of my traps. She tore herself up trying to get out, and then it got worse while I was working to get the door held open. Eventually she ran out and away, but I suspect she didn't make it long. Since I have been baiting with diesel soured corn, no problems with deer and the hogs don't seem to mind a little kerosene with their corn.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Deer Jail - 04/27/20 02:41 PM

I had a nice buck in a trap. When I show d up it went nuts and broke its neck
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Deer Jail - 04/27/20 03:17 PM

I finally cut the top out of mine. I had a couple of doe rodeos years ago. 'Waiting on a large, portable, welded up pen from Ramball.

Love the bull story. 'Sounds like something I'd be involved in.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Deer Jail - 04/27/20 03:34 PM

I have caught a couple of calves but never a full grown cow. After catching the calves I make it a point to check traps every day.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer Jail - 05/01/20 03:17 PM

I caught a calf once. Luckily I wasn't in town. Heard him bawling from a half mile away. Went and checked, sure enough, the rascall got in for the corn. Also caught a 10pt buck in one. He didnt survive, darnit. I ended up cutting the top off with bolt cutters.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Deer Jail - 05/01/20 05:16 PM

HOLY CRAP!

Glad he busted that rebar before either of you got hurt! WOW
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Deer Jail - 05/12/20 09:39 PM

May have been mentioned but a round pen with a swing gate. Deer can jump out but hogs stay inside. Plus they have feed in case you are gone a couple of days
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Deer Jail - 05/13/20 01:13 AM

I caught three calves once. They get a bit agitated but have been freed unharmed

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Deer Jail - 05/13/20 01:17 AM

Found the picture

[Linked Image]
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Deer Jail - 05/13/20 12:27 PM

A 6pt. and a 4pt. got in my hog trap, the 4 pt. killed the 6pt. bang
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Deer Jail - 05/13/20 01:29 PM

We had one stuck in a lease members trap this last season. He showed up on my cams with a busted up nose and split lip. I don't know how he managed not to break his rack but he was wore out and looked like he had just gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. Ok, ok, maybe one round rofl
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Deer Jail - 05/13/20 02:32 PM

I strung up pvc pipe hanging down across the entrance to mine. No more deer in the trap. Doesn’t slow down the pigs but stops the deer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum