Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder pen question

Posted By: fng

Feeder pen question - 04/19/20 07:34 PM

Has anyone had issues with corn and protein feeder too close together?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/19/20 07:38 PM

Not if the pen itself is big enough.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/19/20 08:25 PM

Do they still make combo feeders?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/19/20 11:21 PM

No, the deer don’t care and this pen is too small on top of that. [Linked Image]

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/20/20 09:56 AM

[Linked Image]

This pen is about 45 X 45 and has two feeders in it. The corn is at the center of the pen with the protein feeder offset.

[Linked Image]

This is a combo feeder. ASF used to make them. 1,200 pounds of pellets and 700 pounds of corn. Filling them can be a pain, but by far, we get more consumption & overall activity. with a single mechanism in the pen. Gooner says its because deer don't really like to come to the "city". Don't know about that, but it's easy to determine which pens benefit from more activity.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/20/20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
[Linked Image]

This pen is about 45 X 45 and has two feeders in it. The corn is at the center of the pen with the protein feeder offset.

[Linked Image]

This is a combo feeder. ASF used to make them. 1,200 pounds of pellets and 700 pounds of corn. Filling them can be a pain, but by far, we get more consumption & overall activity. with a single mechanism in the pen. Gooner says its because deer don't really like to come to the "city". Don't know about that, but it's easy to determine which pens benefit from more activity.

I was given one of those older ASF combo feeders by a friend of a friend on here, but the corn feeder insert/mechanism was completely rusted and trashed. 'Looked like a poor design, with corn having to travel down a long, narrow pipe, but kudos to y'all for keeping yours running. I just disassembled it, blocked it off and use it for protein.

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/20/20 12:07 PM

This will be our tenth season using them. Never had issues. Most dependable feed service device we utilize and, again, used in the pens where the most deer are attracted to (for whatever reason). We have nine of them on our place with two of those models being the 3,000 pound systems.

At some point, ASF went to troughs instead of tubes. The trough systems appear more likely to get clogged in the unusual circumstance where there is heavy rain.

Big deer just don't seem bothered by them -

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/20/20 05:13 PM

You guys got some kind of mutant prehistoric animals???

[Linked Image]

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/20/20 05:40 PM

As if the cottonseed isn't enuff, we also have to fee d them there hungry lil' deer protein pellets.

Love those protein feeders.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/20/20 09:12 PM

we use the new ASF stand and fill 500 protein feeders with the trough syle feed ports. we've had good luck with them. feed does get wet some in a hard rain, but we don't have problems with them clogging. we've been upgrading to these as out texas hunter 300lbs barrels have worn out. so far so good.
Posted By: WatersFowler

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/21/20 12:50 AM

I checked my ASF stand and fill this weekend and had very few pictures of deer or coons eating protein. I was very surprised to find my feeders almost empty. On a few of the pictures I can make out field mice in the feed trough and lots of protein on the ground. Feeders are all penned with hog panels. Could mice really be wiping me out of protein?

Re: Feeder pen question - 04/21/20 11:51 AM

We used those simple barrels from Texas Hunter for quite awhile. That's how we got started. Although a few are still in use after fourteen years, not many. Belief mine, they were the original stand and fill.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum