Texas Hunting Forum

Fannin County yikes

Posted By: PoppaG22

Fannin County yikes - 03/28/20 03:30 AM

We recently just got on a lease in Fannin county a few days ago. Didn’t do much looking into it because I guess we assumed the habitat looks good and being close to collin and Grayson county there should be some good deer. I’ve read a few comments from guys saying there “are no deer in Fannin county” and just want to get some feedback. We’re around Honey Grove. Anyone have any experience in Fannin? Please share
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Fannin County yikes - 03/28/20 04:07 AM

I used to bow hunt caddo grasslands. Brought my first and only public lands deer home from there. I actually spent more time scouting than I did hunting. I only hunted one evening, and the following morning.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Fannin County yikes - 03/28/20 04:57 AM

Our place is near Telephone. Deer hunting is not bad, but you're not going to see a ton of deer. The hogs have run off a lot of our deer.

Wait til the new lake starts filling in - going to be crazy with animals on the move.

JR
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Fannin County yikes - 03/28/20 05:28 AM

No idea on deer as used to duck hunt up there every weekend for years. Never saw a deer but there must be some there. I would love to give it a shot now though. Terrain, feed and cover look great. But honestly it would take lots of acreage and very few hunters for it to work. Like 1 hunter to 300 to 500 acres. We have seen some insane deer hunters per acres on here recently.... leasing 180 acres to 3 hunters! This just doesn't work out anywhere in Texas outside hill country unless it is a doe lease.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Fannin County yikes - 03/28/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
No idea on deer as used to duck hunt up there every weekend for years. Never saw a deer but there must be some there. I would love to give it a shot now though. Terrain, feed and cover look great. But honestly it would take lots of acreage and very few hunters for it to work. Like 1 hunter to 300 to 500 acres. We have seen some insane deer hunters per acres on here recently.... leasing 180 acres to 3 hunters! This just doesn't work out anywhere in Texas outside hill country unless it is a doe lease.

^^^I agree with Txduck on the hunter per acres ratio and I chime in on that on here every chance I can get. Secondly I have a friend that owns a small place in Fannin. I know little about the situation except that he is an excellent hunter and he goes days and days without seeing a single deer and has for years. Then out of the blue a couple years ago he killed a high 140s. I don't know enough to draw much conclusions from that so take it for what its worth.
Posted By: FishmanDan

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/01/20 02:36 AM

I have a small place north of Honey Grove. Seeing more and more deer the past few years, including some nice bucks. We're not overrun with deer, but I'll see anywhere from two to twelve deer each time I sit in my blind. Seeing a lot more turkey lately as well. Good luck!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/01/20 05:00 AM

Good luck!

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/01/20 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by FishmanDan
I have a small place north of Honey Grove. Seeing more and more deer the past few years, including some nice bucks. We're not overrun with deer, but I'll see anywhere from two to twelve deer each time I sit in my blind. Seeing a lot more turkey lately as well. Good luck!

How far north of Honey Grove are you? We are right next to it on the west side off 56!
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/01/20 03:26 PM

Hunt in Lamar next Fannin - deer are a little slow but we do see some nice ones. Wish we could see some Turkeys there, but not as of yet.
Posted By: FishmanDan

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/02/20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by PoppaG22

How far north of Honey Grove are you? We are right next to it on the west side off 56!

About 6 miles north of 82 just off of 100. As someone mentioned before, the new reservoir will be moving animals all over the place!
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/03/20 12:26 AM

Most people make that comment in the Hope's to keep other hunters from the area.

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/03/20 05:46 AM

About 6 miles north of 82 just off of 100. As someone mentioned before, the new reservoir will be moving animals all over the place!

Do you really think so? I'm not an expert. Seems like the habitat is already there and there's plenty of water sources and cover.
Posted By: muddyz

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/03/20 04:54 PM

The West side behind that church?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/03/20 05:31 PM

“are no deer in Fannin county” and just want to get some feedback. We’re around Honey Grove. Anyone have any experience in Fannin? Please share

The quote is laughable. I see deer 52 weeks a year.

I'm south Fannin, and numbers are low. Near Honeygrove, is a long way off. All of Fannin county near the Red River has plenty-o-deer. Friend of mine near Telephone watches his fine herd on a weekly basis (low fence, free range Fannin County deer)
Posted By: Fowl Farms

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/14/20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by jrgocards
Our place is near Telephone. Deer hunting is not bad, but you're not going to see a ton of deer. The hogs have run off a lot of our deer.

Wait til the new lake starts filling in - going to be crazy with animals on the move.

JR

When is the lake supposed to be complete and filling?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/14/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
“are no deer in Fannin county” and just want to get some feedback. We’re around Honey Grove. Anyone have any experience in Fannin? Please share

The quote is laughable. I see deer 52 weeks a year.

I'm south Fannin, and numbers are low. Near Honeygrove, is a long way off. All of Fannin county near the Red River has plenty-o-deer. Friend of mine near Telephone watches his fine herd on a weekly basis (low fence, free range Fannin County deer)

Only public land deer I have killed in Texas was just a little south of Telephone. There were pretty good numbers of deer there 25 years ago and a lot fewer hogs
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/14/20 03:47 AM

There are some monsters in south Fannin County. No clue about Honey Grove. Also a great processor in Trenton. I’d suggest going by there for their other meats before you hunt. Some of the most unique sausages I’ve ever had. Hatch Chile cream cheese is my favorite.

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/16/20 07:43 AM

JR

When you say you won't see a ton of deer can you give me numbers? How many would you expect to see per sit? I'm pretty concerned. I've seen few does almost every time I've been out there but we've had cameras for two weeks on three feeders and don't have a single deer on camera... unheard of
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Fannin County yikes - 04/16/20 08:24 AM

JR

When you say you won't see a ton of deer can you give me numbers? How many would you expect to see per sit? I'm pretty concerned. I've seen few does almost every time I've been out there but we've had cameras for two weeks on three feeders and don't have a single deer on camera... unheard of

Are you seeing hogs on cam? If so, fence them off with hog panels. That being said, we hardly get any deer on cam west of you in Montague County on cam until July/August at the earliest. Usually Sept/Oct before they show up on our non-fenced feeders. They just dissappear with all the new growth. Been that way for 16 years I have hunted there. But if you run a fenced pen and get no deer then that sucks. Your county is not a big deer county population wise though so unless I had hogs and ducks as well I would never hunt there. There are pockets though and rut changes things. Buddy has a place with wireless cam running now by Savoy and seeing nothing. Did you lease from a landowner there or broker? Seen some insanely high price places on here by brokers. Off the chart prices that made zero sense for anyone to pay.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum