Texas Hunting Forum

Just like back in the rut

Posted By: 603Country

Just like back in the rut - 02/21/20 01:42 AM

I sat in a blind this afternoon, hoping for a hog. No hogs showed up, but a fat young 4 point came by and did the rut approach. Wouldn’t go to the corn, but stood about 40 yards off and appeared to be looking for companionship. Surely the rut is long over by now. Maybe he didn’t get the memo.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Just like back in the rut - 02/21/20 04:50 AM

I saw a buck behind the back fence last week that was trailing some doe booty.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Just like back in the rut - 02/21/20 05:05 AM

Long as they smell it they will chase it.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Just like back in the rut - 02/21/20 06:15 PM

Depends on the buck to doe ratio. Too many does will keep bucks looking for the next 28 days.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Just like back in the rut - 02/24/20 02:17 PM

I had a huge nubbin buck trailing a pair of fawn does yesterday, I thought he was the mother of the twins, until I looked him over pretty good. He was a good 6 inches taller at the shoulders than the twins. The bucks appear to be grouped back up as I saw a 8 point, a half 6 point (one side dropped) and a 3 point hanging out.
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: Just like back in the rut - 03/06/20 08:12 PM

I saw a Nice buck w/ a doe (Stephens Co.) on the 25th of Feb. - He was acting like the rut was going on "Again". He saw my truck and just crouched down and when i backed up to get a better look at him, he just stood still. I looked over in the brush about 10-15 yds. from him the doe was just standing there. I have also noticed that a few bucks/does were laying dead on the side of the Highway -Between Aledo & Weatherford on I-20 during MId-Late Feb. This usually happens when the "Rut" is going on Hot & Heavy in Nov. Remember this is Nature and just like the Fish Spawn, it gets spread out over about a 3 mo. period.

-SK
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Just like back in the rut - 03/07/20 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Long as they smell it they will chase it.

And the younger they are, the better their nose.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Just like back in the rut - 03/07/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Aggiedukmaster
I saw a Nice buck w/ a doe (Stephens Co.) on the 25th of Feb. - He was acting like the rut was going on "Again". He saw my truck and just crouched down and when i backed up to get a better look at him, he just stood still. I looked over in the brush about 10-15 yds. from him the doe was just standing there. I have also noticed that a few bucks/does were laying dead on the side of the Highway -Between Aledo & Weatherford on I-20 during MId-Late Feb. This usually happens when the "Rut" is going on Hot & Heavy in Nov. Remember this is Nature and just like the Fish Spawn, it gets spread out over about a 3 mo. period.

-SK

Saw a dead doe on HY-80 between Longview and Hallsville TX yesterday. I was wondering if it was just bad luck for her or if there was a really late rut.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Just like back in the rut - 03/07/20 03:15 PM

I think the rut is finally done here on my place. Last week I had 3 bucks wander into the hay field, joined in an hour by 8 doe. A couple of the younger doe were dashing around, but the bucks showed zero interest.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum