Texas Hunting Forum

Made my son Pass Him

Posted By: FowledUp

Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 02:54 AM

Watched this deer that I’m guessing to be a 3 year old (maybe) Located in Cass County. I wouldn’t let me son shoot him he was upset at first until I explained to him he has the opportunity to be something special in a few years.

Attached picture 3B6F4811-4975-472C-AE9D-CB38BE249503.jpeg
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 04:01 AM

Even if he’s 4.5, just think what he’ll be at 6.5
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 10:50 AM

I agree!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 11:52 AM

Good looking buck up I remember those days of not letting my then young son shooting young bucks.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 01:55 PM

Nice one. Hopefully he will get a chance at him this year and will reap the rewards of management. cheers
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 02:29 PM

That's the way to teach him. up
Posted By: PMK

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 02:37 PM

well done dad!!!
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 04:01 PM

Am I the only one on the son's side? If its a lifetime memory for your son "as is" then why?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 04:39 PM

The way I explained it to my daughter was that we have an abundance of food to eat at our choosing so let’s wait to kill deer until they are mature........
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leonardo
Am I the only one on the son's side? If its a lifetime memory for your son "as is" then why?

No.

I have mixed emotions. I wouldn't make an age call from that shot.

I wasn't raised shooting mature bucks and I don't think I will start mine that way either. They will likely shoot a hog before a deer a doe before a buck, and their first buck will be some form of cull/management buck. After that luck will probably have more to do with it than anything.

Good for the OP that he is outdoors with his kiddo and the kiddo Is having fun and happy to be there.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

No.

I wasn't raised shooting mature bucks and I don't think I will start mine that way either. They will likely shoot a hog before a deer a doe before a buck, and their first buck will be some form of cull/management buck. After that luck will probably have more to do with it than anything.

Good for the OP that he is outdoors with his kiddo and the kiddo Is having fun and happy to be there.

clap
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 05:54 PM

Don't agree especially if it were to be the boys first buck. You have planted a good seed for him to consider going forward. Hope the neighbor does not get him.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 05:59 PM

Deer looks older than 3 but probably younger than 4.5/5 so not a bad call if that is in line with the ranch harvest standards. If it were my kid, I'd probably have a difficult time not letting him take it for his first though.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 06:28 PM

Nice buck and hope y'all get another chance at him next year.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/18/20 10:56 PM

No.

As my kids are getting older I tend to look back on certain events and wish I would have had the same perspective as I currently do. I often catch myself thinking, was it really that important. I also think deer hunting has gotten really out of control when it comes to management, and its provided fewer opportunities to create memories.

No idea as to this kids age, lease rules, ect… but if the only thing keeping the kid from shooting this deer was someone guessing 3.5 years old. I am in favor of the kid pulling the trigger.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/19/20 12:10 AM

No.

As my kids are getting older I tend to look back on certain events and wish I would have had the same perspective as I currently do. I often catch myself thinking, was it really that important. I also think deer hunting has gotten really out of control when it comes to management, and its provided fewer opportunities to create memories.

No idea as to this kids age, lease rules, ect… but if the only thing keeping the kid from shooting this deer was someone guessing 3.5 years old. I am in favor of the kid pulling the trigger.

Same here, assuming it was kids first buck. If OP's son already has 2 or 3 bucks under his belt, then sure.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/19/20 12:38 AM

If one of my boys want to shoot I say go ahead. We try to kill something every time we sit in a stand. If they want to wait for a bigger deer they can. Killing stuff is fun for kids, watching and wondering what they’ll grow into next year is not. They know they only get to kill one buck. It’s up to them. I don’t like sitting in a deer stand and haven’t shot a deer in years but my youngest loves watching deer and I get a kick out of watching him decide who lives and who dies. My oldest will shoot whatever walks up first and is happy. They all eat good but I prefer young doe.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/19/20 11:28 AM

Depends on what kind of buck deer are shot where you hunt. Where I hunt bucks are given a pass till mature. I brought my son up hunting that way and managed to get him on a mature buck most every year. I see both sides of it. None of the big ones ate as good as a young deer unless ground up. For a college junior though, he has amassed a pretty good bone pile that reflect some great memories.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/19/20 06:32 PM

Too many unknown variables by OP to make comment on decision other than I bet the neighbors really like your decision and hope he made it through the season for then next couple years
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/20/20 03:05 PM

IMO you are neither right nor wrong with regard to killing or letting the buck live - as long as you have conviction in your beliefs you are teaching your son to THINK about the decision to take the life of another living creature. That is the lesson he hopefully will take away. In the grand scheme of things one deer will not impact your management plan anyway.
Posted By: DGP-Texan

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/20/20 04:55 PM

Hard to call an age with a frontal photo. Looks younger than 4.5 to me with that limited view. If this was NOT your son's 1st buck - I agree to pass as long as he is as young as we all expect. If this would have been your son's 1st buck - size never matters except to those that see the photo after the fact. If it were my son's first buck, we would enjoy a 4-point just as much as we'd enjoy a monster. I am certainly NOT telling you one way or the other. Bottom line - it is the experience and the time together that needs to be protected. Enjoy the time with your son while you have it.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/22/20 06:01 AM

It’s one thing to teach a kid about game management. It’s another thing to publicly brag about making a kid pass his first buck because of it.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 02/24/20 01:58 PM

You're not alone. My Brother made my nephew wait when he had 3 nice bucks at the feeder. He was 12 years old. He has never hunted since. Would it have made a difference in his case? Who knows. He was into hunting until he was told he needed to hold off. These were mature bucks too. Said he wanted him to shoot a "cull" for his first.
Posted By: wapiti

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 03/14/20 02:06 PM

Hope you see him again.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 04/07/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wapiti
Hope you see him again.

Same here. It is Cass county though, lots of pressure plus plenty of grub to eat, especially in a good acorn year. Good luck.
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 04/12/20 01:40 AM

I would have let the boy take him, but that’s me
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 04/12/20 05:42 AM

If it was my lease I would have had my child shoot. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. Especially on a lease. Now if I owned the land and was managing that is different. Great buck for any kid and many adults too. I tried to let my kid shoot a big buck but he wanted me to take the shot. He was just as happy as if he shot it. Scored 145. Taxi said 149. Ha. I like his outlook! He is just as happy taking a doe and just likes getting outside. I wore him out past two days turkey hunting.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 04/17/20 02:05 PM

Nice east texas deer
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Made my son Pass Him - 04/17/20 04:21 PM

let the boy shoot wth
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum