How old this spike?

Posted By: jadkins

How old this spike? - 02/14/20 01:43 PM

First time ever seeing him. Stays away from feeders / game cams:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 01:52 PM

They way his hair is puffed up might be slightly deceptive on age. But he's definitely old enough to get the pump station.
Posted By: Stub

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 02:00 PM

Looks young, very healthy 2 year old rifle

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

I'm going back and forth between a 1.5 and a 2.5. And I don't really know why I'm arguing with myself b/c I'm pretty sure he'll be nothing more than a cull next year anyway...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 02:18 PM

We have shot several spikes over the years. Every deer we shoot we get live/dressed weights take a peek at their teeth and record their stats and our best guess of age. Ive shot 3 spikes that were significantly bigger than their spike buddies and 30-50 lbs heavier.

I'm not a proponent of shooting all spikes, but if you can identify ones that are older than their first set of antlers I typically do shoot them. The three I have shot has been over a 13 year period.

Tuff call on him without something to compare him too. He does look bigger than what I would think your run of the mil first year spike would look like, but he is all fluffed up and has a very pointy nose. From those pics I wouldn't be convinced enough he was older to shoot him.
Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 03:01 PM

Looks old enough to me, Heavy in the front & hind end, might have bigger deer than where I hunt though rifle

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jadkins
Originally Posted by Stub

I'm going back and forth between a 1.5 and a 2.5. And I don't really know why I'm arguing with myself b/c I'm pretty sure he'll be nothing more than a cull next year anyway...

If it was my place he would have been a cull this year. rifle and some dang good food
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 05:01 PM

rifle
Posted By: SoTX

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 06:34 PM

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SoTX

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 07:39 PM

1.5 or 2 year old, splitting hairs?

1.5 is 18 months ago, it is mid Feb so that would mean it was born in Sept, my 2 years would have him born in February 2018.

So I revise my statement to more accurately reflect that I believe that Spike was born in the Spring of 2018 up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 07:46 PM

That's why for spikes I go with first or later set of horns.
Posted By: don k

Re: How old this spike? - 02/14/20 09:46 PM

Small straight antlered spikes I give a pass. Cow horned ones like that get shot.
Posted By: pop r

Re: How old this spike? - 02/15/20 03:40 AM

Re: How old this spike? - 02/16/20 02:16 PM

Landowner agreed with a lot of the above and gave the green light of death at noon on Friday. It was cleaned and hanging in the cooler by 6 pm Friday. Time to start trapping coons and swapping out my camo for turkey season.

Re: How old this spike? - 02/17/20 12:18 PM

Landowner agreed with a lot of the above and gave the green light of death at noon on Friday. It was cleaned and hanging in the cooler by 6 pm Friday. Time to start trapping coons and swapping out my camo for turkey season.

That chubby little booger looks like he will be some fine eating up food
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How old this spike? - 02/17/20 01:04 PM

So what was his age?
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: How old this spike? - 02/17/20 02:44 PM

I'd guess his third tooth had three cusps.

Re: How old this spike? - 02/18/20 02:13 PM

Stub was right on the money. Likely one of the first born in the spring 2018. We have several around that age class with nice typical branched antlers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum