Texas Hunting Forum

Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice

Posted By: Klinker

Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/03/20 03:55 PM

This weekend I looked at 320 acres about 1/4 mile north of OH Ivie Reservoir in Coleman County - the nearest "town" would be Voss. I really liked the property and would like to purchase it for a permanent deer lease. I have hunted Dove quite a lot in Coleman County, but have no experience with deer in Coleman County. ANY AND ALL advice, input, observations, opionions, etc. appreciated regarding deer and the deer population in the area.
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/03/20 04:04 PM

We were on a lease near Whon and it was shot up and deer were small. We would see turkeys but not many. The late season duck hunting was the most fun - when the water was up on the ponds.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/03/20 05:36 PM

I have seen enough deer in that area that buying there would be an easy choice.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/03/20 05:46 PM

Coleman county has some very good deer. North of Ivie should be the same. Might PM Mbavo, he has a place up there.
Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/04/20 02:00 AM

We hunt on a ranch on the north shore of OH Ivie. This was our first year on the ranch but we were pretty impressed with how it went. Send me pm with your phone # and I’d be glad to send plenty pics and I’ll answer any questions that I can.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/04/20 02:20 AM

Besides the deer, there are some eating places that are close. Beef Masters and Alejandra''s in Ballinger, Big O's BBQ in Valera and Lowake Steakhouse now in Rowena. Reasonable prices for good food, not great, but good.
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/04/20 03:33 AM

My wife's family owned a place just pass Panther Creek that had 503 frontage I loved it. This was 20 years ago but there were good deer and to many turkeys. It had good cover and we always saw game. They also owned a place by Talpa. They sold the Voss place to buy more land in Talpa. If the deal is right I don't think you will be disappointed. Good luck and keep us posted!!
Posted By: gillom

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/04/20 01:55 PM

We own land between Talpa and Ballinger. No giant deer but consistent 120's. LOTS of deer. If you are looking for a place to guarantee to see game on every hunt... this is the area. We kill deer, turkey, doves, ducks, pigs etc. I do not think you will be disappointed.
Posted By: Klinker

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/06/20 03:30 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input. REALLY helps to hear from people familiar with the area.
Posted By: gunner10

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/09/20 08:55 PM

Good to know... just purchased a place near Crews.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/12/20 08:43 PM

I'm hunting on 2500 acres about 2 miles north of Ivie. Typical sit I will see 6 - 10 does and 4 - 5 bucks. We had a 160 class 14 point and a 150 class 12 point on camera before the season and a couple more pics during the season, but no one ever saw either buck in person. Biggest buck we've taken was a 145. Currently in our fourth year of feeding protein and we've seen a steady improvement in both numbers and quality. Now if we can just get some timely rain...
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/12/20 09:46 PM

I hunt south of OH Ivie and had a place North of 67 before you get to Valera and would agree with the others.

Not sure how far you actually are, but I have seen alot of axis in and around Voss too.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/13/20 02:03 AM

Hunted for many years a few miles north of Talpa. It has since been high fenced, and man, the turkey pop was astounding. We routinely saw hundreds everyday in the field. Lots of deer, but the turkeys ...i miss that ranch immensely.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/13/20 02:22 AM

+1 on the turkey population. I hunted Santa Anna for a while. Deer all down there. The place I was on didn’t manage the 2,000 acres for squat tho.
Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Re: Coleman County - Land/Deer Hunting Advice - 02/13/20 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
I'm hunting on 2500 acres about 2 miles north of Ivie. Typical sit I will see 6 - 10 does and 4 - 5 bucks. We had a 160 class 14 point and a 150 class 12 point on camera before the season and a couple more pics during the season, but no one ever saw either buck in person. Biggest buck we've taken was a 145. Currently in our fourth year of feeding protein and we've seen a steady improvement in both numbers and quality. Now if we can just get some timely rain...

You must be on the North lease grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum