Texas Hunting Forum

First time hunting solo

Posted By: supertruck97

First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 04:46 PM

So, I will admit to being a fairly inexperienced hunter. I've been hunting less than a dozen times in my life, as my family were not the hunting type (fishing yes, hunting no). The last several years, I've had good friends invite me out to their lease or their owned property to hunt with them. 2 years ago, I got my first buck, which was awesome.

This year, though, due to work and other issues, we couldn't make the timing work for me to go out with friends. Fortunately, a good friend of mine on the last weekend of season said "Hey man, I'm not gonna make it out. Just go out there and hunt without me.". Needless to say, never having skinned/field dressed a deer solo, the idea freaked me out. So I got out early on Friday to sit in the blind (Comal County, near Canyon Lake) just to check things out. Saw a bunch of bupkiss. Nothing. Great.

Next morning, I'm in the blind bright and early before 6, just to be safe. Freezing my bum off. I proceed to see absolutely nothing for nearly 3 hours. Not a doe. Not a hog. Not a wandering cow. Nada. I was honestly just counting the minutes till I could get inside an warm up and texting my wife that I hadn't seen any signs of movement, when finally there is something. This guy walks out on the ridge behind the feeder, and meanders down. He stops for just a second, raising his head to give me a great broadside view of his front half. That was enough.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I know, not the biggest deer posted on these forums. But my buddy said it was by far the biggest buck he had seen on the property this year (small acreage). And it was the first (and only, so far) one for me to take completely solo.

The next hour or so was spent fumbling through probably the worst field dressing ever. I was lucky to have had good teachers in the past, but there's no replacement for experience.

All in all, while I appreciate the solitude of a solo hunt, I'm a pack animal. I'd rather have some good friends and a pair of extra hands when hunting. That said, I can't see myself skipping any more seasons for the foreseeable future. I've got the fever. Next up: Turkey
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 04:52 PM

Awesomeness!

Speed of field dressing isn't all that important. You'll get quicker with the field dressing and more efficient with the process.

Thanks for the story.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 04:56 PM

Congrats!!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 04:59 PM

cheers It only gets better from here on.
Posted By: jast86

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 05:34 PM

rock_on
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 05:36 PM

Congrats! up
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 05:42 PM

Congrats cheers
As long as you don't puncture the gut sack your fine up
If you do you'll regret it barf
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 05:44 PM

Job well done! Don't compare your buck to Bucks posted online. Compare him to your previous buck. Compare him to the other Bucks on property. He will make a fine european mount sitting on your mantle!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

X2
Posted By: snake oil

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 05:50 PM

Best way to learn. up
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 05:55 PM

It's nice to have others to teach you, but you absorb a lot more doing things solo. Good work
Posted By: TooLow

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 05:56 PM

Congrats. I hunt solo all the time
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 06:13 PM

Congrats and thanks for posting
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 06:19 PM

You are hooked now. It gets quicker, easier and better with practice. I'm pretty much a solo hunter and nothing better than hands on learning. Congrats on a fine buck.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 06:20 PM

Nice buck and experience, just some advice for next time, tag it before pictures.
Posted By: PMK

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by stxranchman

X2

X3
Posted By: Bbq74

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 07:30 PM

Congratulations brotha
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 08:22 PM

Great write up, congrats on the nice buck! up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young
Congrats cheers
As long as you don't puncture the gut sack your fine up
If you do you'll regret it barf

Add the pizz sack to that list! roflmao
Posted By: redchevy

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 08:53 PM

Congrats!

I have hunted on my own some, I will say I much rather hunt with my wife, brother, father, son, or friends. Im 33 and I gotta say I still really enjoy going and sitting with my dad or brother... depending on what was eaten the night before for dinner!!!!!!!!!!!

The field dressing will come with practice. I cant tell you how many deer and hogs ive gutted and at the first of the season I knock one down and scratch my head for a sec before I go poking it with a knife.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 09:31 PM

The only thing I hate about deer hunting alone is loading a deer by yourself. Congrats on your buck.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 09:35 PM

Congrats!! That's awesome!!

While it is tougher, it is an experience and a memory made...and the pain of it will wear off and be replaced with pride for doing it all on your own. (Not to mention that no one really knows how bad it was because you were by yourself rofl)

I love to hunt. Period. I hunt with a big group, sometimes small groups and sometimes by myself and I enjoy them all, so can't really say I have a preference.

Good luck in turkey season cheers
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 10:20 PM

Awesome story! Congratulations on your first solo! That will forever be a great memory for you, and heck, that's most of the reason we all go, for the experiences!
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/27/20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Awesome story! Congratulations on your first solo! That will forever be a great memory for you, and heck, that's most of the reason we all go, for the experiences!

Agree! Congrats to the hunter.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/28/20 02:49 AM

Way to go man! Just like cleaning a fish, best way to learn is to get in there yourself.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/28/20 02:54 AM

That's a great deer, good job. You've got the fever.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/28/20 03:38 AM

Congrats and thanks for sharing
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/29/20 08:38 PM

Nice. I always hunt alone. No one else on the lease ever goes. I am a little afraid of the dark when walking to stand. Mainly little girl ghosts.

It’s the best way to learn, in my opinion. It forces you to make decisions.

Posted By: Dalroo

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/29/20 08:47 PM

I enjoy hunting alone, but don't mine others around either. I will say, it is easier for me to field dress deer with no one around. I usually only take one deer per year, and just not enough practice that I can do it quickly and cleanly. Easier for me to just take my time and do the best I can. Only problem can be loading, but when too heavy, I just drag into an open space and go get the tractor walking

Congrats!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/29/20 11:21 PM

Congrats on your buck sir. Speed isn't a factor in gutting your deer - although other hunters around will try to show their prowess! True field dressing is when that deer is on the ground and you have to wrestle with the legs and all. It certainly is much easier hanging from a tree or a skinning rack on a gambrel at camp. After 40 years I still take my time and have to think about it a bit.
Posted By: Gunmetal

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/31/20 08:28 PM

Best way to learn is going at it solo!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: First time hunting solo - 01/31/20 11:14 PM

Great job and story. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the club!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: First time hunting solo - 02/01/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
The only thing I hate about deer hunting alone is loading a deer by yourself. Congrats on your buck.

The older I get loading has become more difficult. Bought a hoist that fits I the truck receiver hitch...really makes a difference.
Posted By: WatersFowler

Re: First time hunting solo - 02/11/20 06:26 PM

It doesn't matter how big your "pack"....when the pin hits the primer the fun is over and the work begins. Glad you had a good hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum