Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for Late Youth Hunt - TYHP

Posted By: TXBoss

Looking for Late Youth Hunt - TYHP - 01/18/20 04:55 PM

Our hunting location was shut down by the biologist this year due to the anthrax breakout.

I'm looking for any ideas on Texas Youth hunts that might still have openings and be somewhat reasonable from the DFW area. I have a 14 yr old that was going to be his first hunt.

I've looked on the website and have only found a few but I don't know much about any of them. Looking for some feedback / ideas.

Rifle hunt for deer is what we are looking for.

Thx

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Looking for Late Youth Hunt - TYHP - 01/18/20 05:38 PM

Not real close but Texas Youth Hunting Program still has a few hunts that the signup deadline is this week. Does your son have his Hunters education course completed? https://www.tyhp.org/youth-hunters/youth-hunt-schedule/
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: Looking for Late Youth Hunt - TYHP - 01/19/20 02:19 AM

Yes... he got his hunters ed this year and our instructor recommended the TYHP.

I found both 20-155 River Ranch Hunt and the 20-195 Forrest Ranch Hunt's left, but may have missed the deadlines. The one in Wimberley looks feasible.

I know we waited too late this year so we focused on duck hunting... which hasn't been all that good.

There's one at Meyers Spring Ranch that looks interesting, but it's too far to drive.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Looking for Late Youth Hunt - TYHP - 01/19/20 03:37 PM

If too late for the deadline get put on their waiting list. When people drop out they will call you to fill the spot. You have to be ready to drop everything and go. This worked twice for my boys when little.
TYHP is a great organization and as Texans we're lucky to have them.
Good Luck
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Looking for Late Youth Hunt - TYHP - 01/19/20 05:37 PM

I think the TYHP experience is fantastic for attending parent and kids. Did (4) with my two men. There's not much that happens up around D/FW, so don't wait for the few that come up. If he's a first time hunter with them, he'll get picked pretty quick.

Good luck!

Charlie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum