Texas Hunting Forum

Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck..

Posted By: T Bone

Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 02:07 PM

A friend on our lease had this buck show up & we’re wondering what could’ve happened to his gut.. Thinking it could be an injury from a barb wire fence or perhaps an arrow grazed him..? Any other ideas?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 02:11 PM

Doc said no need to amputate it will fall off on it's own, OooouuuCH!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 02:27 PM

Usually a flank rip = coyote, but could have been steel post or something else as well.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 02:27 PM

maybe turned over in a fight and gored
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 02:59 PM

My first thought would be an antler injury.

In the second picture It looks like maybe something went in the bottom and poked out above it a little ways?

Wonder if he survives. They are tuff animals.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 02:59 PM

I bet it was a miscalculated jump over something with a sharp edge or a poorly placed shot by a hunter. Almost looks like a hole in its side in the second picture.

I had something similar happen when I got too excited and made a poor shot at a doe near the same area. The bullet must have bounced off of a bone went downward. She jumped a barb wire fence and left some entrails on the fence. Fortunately, we were able to find her - she went quite the distance.

I don't think coyotes prey on larger deer. Could possibly be gored by another buck though that's an odd area to be gored.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
I don't think coyotes prey on larger deer. Could possibly be gored by another buck though that's an odd area to be gored.

I believe a buck deer has a higher likelihood to stop and challenge a coyote and are thus excellent targets when the rest of the pack joins in on the fun.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 05:44 PM

Several years ago I took my son to a friends place to shoot an axis doe. As we were fixing to leave, one finally showed up at the feeder and my boy ended up using the hood of the truck as rest for his rifle. Long story short, he made a bad shot. I initially though he had missed, but we approached the feeder to make sure. When we got there, I noticed what appeared to be wet clumpy grass on the ground but no blood. We began following the wet grass clumps and soon determined he had deeply grazed the abdomen of the doe. As the doe bounded off, the weight of her stomach finally pushed through the incision the bullet made. We soon found her intestines around a tree which she had wrapped them around. We found her dead not far from there. Very sad, and I was upset at my son, but we all have made bad shots at some point in our lives. Lesson learned for him. Also that was the first animal I think I have not had to gut. (Well partially anyway.) The buck in this picture could have been grazed by a bullet or a top strand of barb wire. You may keep an eye open for buzzards just in case! I'm not sure how he would survive that wound. That gut is sure to get caught on something and pulled out further. Or pulled out by coyotes.
Posted By: wsjaxIV

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 06:54 PM

Lots of things could have caused the wound but hardy or not, I would think this buck's days are numbered - 1) he's going to be a magnet for coyotes with his entrails hanging out, 2) a wound that size will never fully close on its own which will lead to 3) great opportunity for infection.
Posted By: don k

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 07:25 PM

He will either die from infection or get weak and coyotes will end it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 08:01 PM

If the date on the camera is right I'm sure that he is already dead. I would think it could be a number of things. Bad arrow shot, bad gun shot, fence...who knows.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by don k
He will either die from infection or get weak and coyotes will end it.

Yes coyotes will drag him down.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 10:20 PM

I wonder what exactly that is hanging out of him. If it is part of an intestine etc. I think he will surely die. If it is a piece of muscle/flank that got pulled out by whatever stuck him he may live.

Over the years from what I have seen seems like if they are coming to feed they have a fighting chance.
Posted By: noose

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/16/20 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by rob valle
Several years ago I took my son to a friends place to shoot an axis doe. As we were fixing to leave, one finally showed up at the feeder and my boy ended up using the hood of the truck as rest for his rifle. Long story short, he made a bad shot. I initially though he had missed, but we approached the feeder to make sure. When we got there, I noticed what appeared to be wet clumpy grass on the ground but no blood. We began following the wet grass clumps and soon determined he had deeply grazed the abdomen of the doe. As the doe bounded off, the weight of her stomach finally pushed through the incision the bullet made. We soon found her intestines around a tree which she had wrapped them around. We found her dead not far from there. Very sad, and I was upset at my son, but we all have made bad shots at some point in our lives. Lesson learned for him. Also that was the first animal I think I have not had to gut. (Well partially anyway.) The buck in this picture could have been grazed by a bullet or a top strand of barb wire. You may keep an eye open for buzzards just in case! I'm not sure how he would survive that wound. That gut is sure to get caught on something and pulled out further. Or pulled out by coyotes.

Man, that's tough to read. I've very fortunately not had a bad shot though I don't shoot at anything unless it's pretty much a sure thing. I guess it would be different if I was hungry, though, or on a lease when time and money were more precious.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/17/20 11:37 AM

Unfortunately, I had an experience which mimicked that of Rob Valle's son. I saw the stomach become dislodged when the spike bounded over a bush and it continued to sway in a really weird motion. Hard to believe if not witnessed. I finally caught up with the poor creature who continued to somehow make it. Put him out of his misery under a small tree. he had run about as far away from somewhere convenient as possibly could have gotten to.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/17/20 02:01 PM

Hooked up with the wrong doe and bigger buck didn't like what he saw happen.............
Posted By: 280AI

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/21/20 12:40 PM

STD.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/21/20 02:04 PM

We had a doe here that looked similar from a fence post, her hide was hanging down exposing a lot of gut. I contemplated taking her out as she looked bad, well, as the year went on she healed up and by fall you could hardly tell it happened. God gave them healing abilities beyond ours it seems.
Posted By: Klinker

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/21/20 10:29 PM

Chupacabra!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/21/20 10:39 PM

Looks like he was poked in the gut while in a fight or while trying to flee after loosing a fight. That is a very common area for a buck to get hooked. Very good chance he won't make it from that.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/22/20 01:27 AM

angel deer
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/22/20 02:05 AM

Looks like coyote bait to me....
Posted By: Stub

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/22/20 12:01 PM

Bummer thats a nice 8.
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Thoughts on what might’ve happened to this buck.. - 01/25/20 12:15 AM

No matter look for the skull