Texas Hunting Forum

Score bosses buck...

Posted By: 68blackbird

Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 04:55 AM

My 1st post in this great forum. Been lurking and absorbing info for most of this season. I've only been hunting for 3 years, so this site has been a great help to me this year, many thanks folks!

My boss dropped this buck earlier in the year. We bumped into some other hunters the other day, boss showed him this pic, and fellow said, "nice buck, probably around 130"....we drove off, boss says that dude is off. Told boss I knew a place where I could get him some "other" opinions, so, here I am, what say you? Thanks, Kel
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 12:12 PM

130” is about right.

Welcome! This is a great site
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 12:54 PM

Looks pretty close to 130 to me.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 01:21 PM

He's a shorter timed, wide angled dude with decent mass. Looks low to mid 130s to me...
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 01:57 PM

I feel like those beams are going to score more because they come so far back in. Like it was said above, mass is decent. I'm figuring upper 120's. Buck has a lot of cool character.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 02:02 PM

welcome
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 02:08 PM

Great buck, I'd kill him.

What is inside spread?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 02:17 PM

welcome ... 120-130ish from that one picture
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 02:44 PM

Photograph perspective does a lot in making a buck look bigger than he actually is. Do you have an inside spread measurement? That will help give us a reference point.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 03:35 PM

Photo makes it look huge, but I'd tell my "boss" upper 130's when it's lower 130's.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 03:45 PM

Give or take

G1 7
G2 17
G3 18
G4 8
SPR 16.5
MASS 25
BEAM 43

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 04:40 PM

I don't have any numbers on it yet, but did find this video and another pic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 04:59 PM

I would like to know what the boss thought it would score. Watching the video and stretching the tape I still think he's under 140. Beautiful buck, if the age was right I'd have shot him.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Give or take

G1 7
G2 17
G3 18
G4 8
SPR 16.5
MASS 25
BEAM 43

I am pretty close to these numbers on this buck. I think he will go a little higher as I had the mass and beams stretched a little farther...so I would guess 138 or so. Very nice buck

I would tell you and the boss (and anyone for that matter) not to get wrapped up in the score. I have seen a 130" deer that looked much better than a 144" and seen 155" deer that looked better than a 168" and so on. Score gives you an idea of the frame and overall, but not necessarily the class of deer or the appeal. I have also seen people that were really excited about a deer become disappointed after the tape was put on it.

I score all my deer and like to know the score of other deer, but I don't put much stock in the number itself.

Great looking buck up
Posted By: PMK

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 05:45 PM

I have also seen people that were really excited about a deer become disappointed after the tape was put on it.

very true ... the actual number can really deflate some people's ego when minutes earlier they were excited and proud of their harvest ...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by txshntr
Give or take

G1 7
G2 17
G3 18
G4 8
SPR 16.5
MASS 25
BEAM 43

I am pretty close to these numbers on this buck. I think he will go a little higher as I had the mass and beams stretched a little farther...so I would guess 138 or so. Very nice buck

I would tell you and the boss (and anyone for that matter) not to get wrapped up in the score. I have seen a 130" deer that looked much better than a 144" and seen 155" deer that looked better than a 168" and so on. Score gives you an idea of the frame and overall, but not necessarily the class of deer or the appeal. I have also seen people that were really excited about a deer become disappointed after the tape was put on it.

I score all my deer and like to know the score of other deer, but I don't put much stock in the number itself.

Great looking buck up

I agree 100% and would score him about 138 as well, for the long main beams......

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 06:18 PM

I would like to know what the boss thought it would score. Watching the video and stretching the tape I still think he's under 140. Beautiful buck, if the age was right I'd have shot him.

If I remember correctly, I thought he said more like 140? Don't think its that big of deal to him, it is a nice regardless. We have had a pretty good year up to now. Here is my buck from earlier. We have both seen several even nicer bucks, but since we already had one, next one had to very..very good. Seen several that were close, but the old, "he'll be awesome next year"...Kel [Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 06:23 PM

Agree with the others that the score shouldn't determine if your happy with him or not. I think he is a heck of a good looking buck.

I also think at 130 he is being short changed some. He has decent mass and those hooked beams and curved tines hide inches. I think he is really close to 140.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 06:26 PM

Also scoring deer is very very easy, google it and have a soft/flexible tape and you can get a rough score very quickly.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 06:45 PM

142 is what I see.. maybe a bit more
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 08:29 PM

I see 144
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
welcome

Mid 130’s here
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 08:54 PM

For reference, I shot this one in 2012, state biologist scored it, all official like. 140-1/8" as I recall. I have the sheet at home. Pic's do make deer look huge. [Linked Image]
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 09:07 PM

You guys are making this wayyyy too difficult... OP, if it's the boss's deer, it's easy 170. If it's your's, probably 140. Nice deer either way.

Charlie
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 09:45 PM

^^^^^^

clap roflmao

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/15/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
You guys are making this wayyyy too difficult... OP, if it's the boss's deer, it's easy 170. If it's your's, probably 140. Nice deer either way.

Charlie

God I love this place.... deer2
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/16/20 03:03 PM

I guess low 140s.

What county was it killed in?

Re: Score bosses buck... - 01/16/20 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cullbuck
I guess low 140s.

What county was it killed in?

Jim Hogg

Here are a couple that I have been waiting for. First 2 are same guy, both pics I only had a split second chance to view, I just happened to have my 35mm in hand when he walked out. The 2nd buck was game camera at same feeder where I shot my buck, several weeks ago...BTW, boss and his brother just left the lease, (Hebbronville area), the past 2 days bucks were fighting and chasing hard, so hopefully this weekend will be a good one. Good luck to y'all who are still able to go is weekend! Kel [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum