Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting season end

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Hunting season end - 12/30/19 01:49 PM

Due to acorns, it was the worst since I bought the property in 1985. Now hoping for rains to keep the ponds/tanks wet enough to cover the backs of my fish.

The deer ought to be healthy with all the acorns they ate. That’s a plus.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 01:59 PM

Hopefully it will continue to rain... Bucks are hitting the feeders hard here.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 03:09 PM

No surprise I'm still learning the patterns of the deer on the new place I started hunting this year. Still a few days left to see if the buck that tore up trees before and during the rut is still in the area. I have been able to take three hogs, including one large boar the landowner wanted badly.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 07:17 PM

I spent some time in the stand this past weekend and noticed that the bucks and does seemed to be in great shape, fat even.

If we can get some rain, 2020 should be a great year for the deer
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 08:35 PM

I has been really really bad here in Boerne for deer. I had 12 bucks on camera in September including two nice shooters. Nada since October. I was able to take 2 6 point culls but didn't see any real shooters
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 09:37 PM

Pretty much our story too. Slowest season I've ever had here. 3 shooters opening weekend but didn't want to shoot the first thing I saw. Deer are absent now. This will be a year for the deer. I'm OK with it.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 10:33 PM

I agree, worst season in years

Good thing is the acorn crop like we had is abnormal

And I am curious to see what next year brings because of it
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
Pretty much our story too. Slowest season I've ever had here. 3 shooters opening weekend but didn't want to shoot the first thing I saw. Deer are absent now. This will be a year for the deer. I'm OK with it.

Same here. Two big bucks opening day but wanted my wife with me. Did take a decent 9 two weeks later. No shooters since. Wife and I are going for a few days starting New Years day.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 11:22 PM

It was a good year in the Concho Valley. I saw some really nice bucks, and over all the herd was in good shape. Still waiting on results from the fly over, but it looks like we had a good fawn crop too. Also two of the processors that I visited say they are having a good year, way better than last year.

Re: Hunting season end - 12/30/19 11:35 PM

I'm still at it. Behind the house right now. My nephew had one of our target culls within 50 yards yesterday evening. Gun didnt fire, twice. Bad ammo? I think not. The deer have some mojo beads.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hunting season end - 12/31/19 01:21 AM

Dave...just think about what a great fawn crop you're going to have in a few months....next year will be great! up

Re: Hunting season end - 12/31/19 02:29 AM

I had a great fawn crop this year. I saw 8 or 10 together in September. But, I figure coyotes will probably get 75% of them. That’s just Mama Nature at work.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunting season end - 12/31/19 04:14 AM

Had my boy finally shoot a doe yesterday. No bucks taken so first ever! Went duck hunting today and saw more deer than ducks! Someone was having a good hunt nearby. Dropped her off at Fischers and they are down 30% this year on deer processed. We have lots of doe though.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Hunting season end - 12/31/19 03:16 PM

With that much nutrition throughout the season they should be healthy next year.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Hunting season end - 12/31/19 07:01 PM

Coyotes are that bad up there?

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Coyotes are that bad up there?

Yes but don't think so on the deer. Every doe has a young one or two with them I see. When the yotes go nuts deer don't even flinch.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 11:33 AM

Yep, coyotes have rebounded in my area. Went for years without hearing them but they are back.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 02:01 PM

Well, I finished the season with 1 deer killed. Shot it first day in the stand and literally did not see another deer. Very rough year. But, the one bright spot was my 6 year old got to go hunting for the first time. He absolutely loved it. He hunted with my dad so I could take the oldest. He was actually the only one to see deer. My dad said he took this binos out a d spotted deer. After hunting he took his BB gun and walked all over our place exploring and shooting his gun. I think he is hooked.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 02:53 PM

I never went hunting this per se this season. I did see several deer on a daily basis in the field beside the house and plenty of them while moving about and doing work. However, once those acorns dropped I have not seen much of anything, but I do find a lot of tracks after each rain, so they must be somewhat nocturnal.
Posted By: gunslinger922

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 03:04 PM

We also finished out the season with one deer down. It has been the strangest season we’ve had in many years. First year that we have gone hunt after hunt without seeing more than a sporadic sighting of deer. Unheard of in the Hill Country. Neighboring ranches are reporting the same thing. Nothing coming to the feeders. Lots of available natural food sources. Still a very enjoyable season. Love to see kids showing an interest
Posted By: don k

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 04:33 PM

Strange. On about 350 acres where I raise my Ibex I had six 8 point bucks and one 11 point buck and 3 does taken. And I still know of a couple of eights, two 6's and a ten point still around. Way too many deer.
Posted By: DeadRooster

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 08:21 PM

We’re done also for the year. My wife took two does, both in December, which will be enough meat for us to get through the next year (still had a bit left from last season). First season in at least 10 years where we will not shoot a buck.

Same story for us as many others on here have noted: an unusual abundance of acorns kept most of the deer away from the feeders and much more nocturnal than in previous seasons.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 09:02 PM

Our hunting season in the hill country was terrible.

Lots of deer and some good bucks on camera in September.....opening day of bow season acorns started falling and never stopped. Put in some time, not a great amount but more than a few hunts and didn’t see one bonafide shooter. Did see a few up and comers and some nice young bucks but no mature shooters I had seen on camera.

Once during a cold snap in October and during another one a few weeks ago I took opportunities to kill some junk bucks with my bow. Had several sits myself where I didn’t see a deer one.

Had a good time in the woods as always but it was a bummer season. I may go down south to a friend of mines place in live oak county over the weekend but I’m on the fence at the moment. I wouldn’t mind trying to take a south Texas buck before it’s all over but I’m not dying to either.

I’m already looking forward to the DSC show, the SCI show, booking a trip for 2021 and getting ready for my October Moose & Bear Hunt.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunting season end - 01/01/20 11:53 PM

It was a decent year in Runnels county.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/02/20 08:36 PM

Anyone have a theory on why so many are reporting a below average season? The weather has been far better this year than last in East Texas with little or no flooding. I think I had five water marks in my deer blind last season.

Just for grins, I'll throw out the theory that a booming economy has put fewer people in the woods looking for meat. Fewer hunters means less pressure on the deer so they don't move as much. And when they don't have to move, you're far less likely to see them.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/02/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Just for grins, I'll throw out the theory that a booming economy has put fewer people in the woods looking for meat. Fewer hunters means less pressure on the deer so they don't move as much. And when they don't have to move, you're far less likely to see them.

I don't think that's it at all. I doubt very few people in Texas are hunting strictly for meat. Booming economy means more people can easily afford a lease meaning more people in the woods.

I think for most if you have oaks you have acorns. A lot of places had a bumper crop of acorns.

I know guys who hunt down south where they have no oaks and they have had great seasons in terms of quality and numbers
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Hunting season end - 01/02/20 09:11 PM

Ain't quite over yet. Taking my father down to close the north zone. My south zone is done though. The 2 bucks I was eyeballing are busted up.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/03/20 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I think for most if you have oaks you have acorns. A lot of places had a bumper crop of acorns.

I know guys who hunt down south where they have no oaks and they have had great seasons in terms of quality and numbers

And less rain made them last longer on the ground. Last year I noticed a lot of acorns piled up to sour in areas where leaves and debris had collected in high water.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/03/20 12:04 AM

Kids have talked me into going this weekend. DAMN! Actually those kids are 21 yoa.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/03/20 03:46 PM

My father called me last night. We talked a little, but he was beating around the bush because he knew I was winding down on the season. I finally just asked him if he wanted to hunt this weekend since it was the last weekend for rifle. His words were "Probably, what time are you picking me up?" We leave in an hour. rofl
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Hunting season end - 01/03/20 08:42 PM

We had an outstanding season at our place in Round Mountain, some of the best bucks we've had in the property since I've been on it (5 years). Not a whole lot of activity around feeders though, we had to hunt hard for them and catch them at pinch points and moving back to bedding areas. Best buck shot there since I've been on the lease, 140+ inch 10-pt was shot just last weekend, and there were still bucks moving around (we limit to 1 buck per person so we're basically done). Lots of healthy does, but only a handful of hogs seen, on cameras or live.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/04/20 07:18 AM

Had an acorn hit me on the head yesterday in Montague!

Re: Hunting season end - 01/04/20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Kids have talked me into going this weekend. DAMN! Actually those kids are 21 yoa.

Y'all will have a good time, Dave. Killing something is just icing on the cake.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Hunting season end - 01/05/20 02:34 AM

I had numerous decent bucks on camera in September. Had a couple decent opportunities during archery however was hoping for something better. After gun opened shooters were scarce. Finally took an 8 after Thanksgiving. My wife only saw one shooter and it spooked before she could shoot. This was a disappointing season especially with all the hype as too how great it was supposed to be from the TPW and sports writers.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Hunting season end - 01/05/20 03:21 AM

Been so freaking busy at work. Went one day and got called in at sunrise. Luckily it’s only 90 minutes to work.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/05/20 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Flashprism
I had numerous decent bucks on camera in September. Had a couple decent opportunities during archery however was hoping for something better. After gun opened shooters were scarce. Finally took an 8 after Thanksgiving. My wife only saw one shooter and it spooked before she could shoot. This was a disappointing season especially with all the hype as too how great it was supposed to be from the TPW and sports writers.

I had 13 bucks on camera and two solid shooters and some very nice young bucks in September.

Bow season rolls around it slows down ( as it normally does) and continued to get slower. Saw just a few of the up and comers and none of the mature shooters. I took two culls with my bow and son missed a big mature 6 point last week.

Took a buddy out there this morning, saw 3 does and 4 fawns, this evening didn’t see a deer one.

Don’t know if we will make it out tomorrow or not, I’m fine with throwing in the towel for this season, already looking forward to next October and planning future hunts.

Chalk it up to a crummy season, glad I got the two I did so freezers are full

Re: Hunting season end - 01/06/20 12:22 PM

Well, we hunted both days. Saw nothing and heard no shots. Glad it’s over. Now, I can use my virgin shooting range. Bought the place in 1985 and have never had a season this bad.

Time to practice my rain dance. Tanks and ponds are in bad shape.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Hunting season end - 01/06/20 12:43 PM

I’m already ready for a new start next year and to hell with acorns.

Re: Hunting season end - 01/06/20 01:16 PM

I didn't hunt, but my father saw deer every sit just no shooters. He thought the season would be a bust. Then my buddy reminded me that we have a muzzle loader season. I guess my dad may get another shot if I can pick up a muzzle loader for him this week.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum