Texas Hunting Forum

Where's the hogs???

Posted By: Flashprism

Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 02:45 PM

More deer than prior years. Mostly does and fawns however I used to have large numbers of hogs at my feeders nightly over the last 6 years. Saw a decent hog during archery and of course I missed with my crossbow. Only seeing a single now and then on camera. See some droppings and rooting occasionally however no shooting opportunities. We always harvested a couple during deer season. Never have much hunting pressure outside of deer season so not thinking there shot out.
I'm in Dickens county any thoughts as to lack of availability??
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 02:49 PM

I've seen very few in Webb county and none on the places in Brazos, Robertson or Falls county. We did take a bunch out in Zavala county.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 02:55 PM

We have similar situation in south San Saba county. Well after dark we have few show up but nothing like years past.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 03:17 PM

Too many acorns
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Too many acorns

Yep.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 03:47 PM

Seen fewer in Milam County too. Just not got pictures of a few this past week. We normally see them throughout deer season. Almost none though this year. Not complaining about that though.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 04:05 PM

Haven't seen a hog on camera since last January.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 04:33 PM

Been seeing an increase in Falls and Robertson county. Put a small hog trap out in Robertson this week and plan on doing some night hunting.
Posted By: illest23

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 04:41 PM

Everywhere but the feeders. Probably eating acorns.
Posted By: BJACK21

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 05:56 PM

plenty in jack county
Posted By: silent hunter

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 06:21 PM

Plenty in Baylor County
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by BJACK21
plenty in jack county

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
peep
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 06:41 PM

As far as I know, they are all in the woodline nearest I-20 and they feed just off the shoulder every night.

At least from Hutchins on East, to the end of their range.
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 08:43 PM

Lots of the at feeders at night in Jack county. I think we’ve shot 3 since September
Posted By: Big8

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/27/19 10:09 PM

We are covered up with hogs in Lee county, shot 15 this year in deer season. Due to the pressure they are almost completely nocturnal now but once things settle down in a few weeks I have one stand in particular that it’s almost guaranteed to see pigs right before dark.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/28/19 11:31 AM

I have one bunch of them and scattered boars. I see them on a regular basis but have only shot one. But, gotta agree that there aren’t as many. I figure that means coyotes get the young.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/28/19 12:31 PM

Too many are alive and well in Colorado Co.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/28/19 11:21 PM

I’ve killed about 15 since November. See them every hunt.
Posted By: hollidayHunter

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/29/19 10:02 PM

I'm in Dickens county too and they disappeared for about for about a month at the start of gun season. Starting to see a few again on camera and I can't blame it on acorns because as far as I know theres not an oak tree for miles.
Posted By: Peltfirewood

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/30/19 03:16 AM

I'm in bell county looking for hogs
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/31/19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Too many acorns

+1, they started showing up where I hunt, NW Burnet county, last weekend. We had only heard them before that. Killed a piglet and sow. 14 piglets and 2 sows came in. Could have shot more piglets but did not want to waste any more 30-06 bullets. I was hunting a buck and axis so did not carry 22 mag which I would have emptied. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 12/31/19 03:14 PM

What about now?
Posted By: 6.5 shooter

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/02/20 11:30 PM

Never seen as many as their this year.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/03/20 04:15 AM

They are on the camera at night but I have not seen one in daylight since season opener. Weird year.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/03/20 04:43 AM

You don't have pigs? Count your lucky stars!
Posted By: hollidayHunter

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/04/20 12:34 AM

Killed 2 Tuesday night. Getting pics from noon until early morning. Getting after them again in the morning.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/04/20 07:23 AM

Ours are very sporadic. Early season they were everywhere but just eating acorns, not corn. Heard and saw them every hunt but no where near corn. Son was on gun so was never ready on time...
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/05/20 10:22 PM

Where are the Hogs? they are here! Washington County, near Brenham TX, 90 miles east of austin, (yuppieville tx) . or 70 west of houston,......
im close to the state park here, Nails Creek, and hogs have run our deer off! little movement prior to season, but as it went seeing more
on game cameras..... we only 2 took this year, never did get them, big boar, about month ago, small 90lber . just before tnxgiving..... she was good
eats on the smoker! TPWD better do something soon, this pig problem is not going away anytime soon!

Not sure what the answer will be, just short of nuke going off, not sure what will control the population! As a big name biologist told us once
we are not going to BBQ our way out of this!......

anyway thats our rant for the week, just load more ammo i guess?

hunt safe all....
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/09/20 12:28 PM

Yep, you are dreaming if you think hunting them under control is the answer!
All that does is drive them off your property onto the neighbor who isn't hunting them, and then they sneak back after dark.
Trapping helps a great deal, but they soon recover once you stop!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/10/20 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Yep, you are dreaming if you think hunting them under control is the answer!
All that does is drive them off your property onto the neighbor who isn't hunting them, and then they sneak back after dark.
Trapping helps a great deal, but they soon recover once you stop!

Ain't that the truth. Buddy trapped over 300 one year on their place. Didn't see them for a few years and then I shoot 4 in one hunt and one every sit after that and had to save my bullets there were so many. Same on my lease. Shot over 40 one year and 2 years later same thing.
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/10/20 11:55 PM

We have more in Knox County this year than the last 4 years.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Where's the hogs??? - 01/14/20 07:31 PM

I’d be happy. We don’t have hogs where I hunt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum