Texas Hunting Forum

All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder

Posted By: noose

All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/26/19 12:06 AM

I guess the guys were having a Merry Morning. These 5 were out there all at once this AM. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/26/19 05:54 AM

Lucky. Still nothing hitting feeders in Monrague. Our guest had a shooter eating browse 20 yards from blind Sunday and paid zero attention to feeder. Crazy how different areas are.
Posted By: Stub

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/26/19 12:18 PM

up
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/26/19 03:48 PM

up
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/26/19 09:09 PM

I have had only one shootable buck on camera, and he showed up only once. Not a good year for me. Next year . . .
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/26/19 09:13 PM

Headed down tomorrow. Two of the son in laws are going. Been passing up mgt bucks for this weekend. Fingers crossed.

We will also be taking feed, shovels, chain saws and a post driver. Sure hope they bring gloves.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/26/19 09:14 PM

My place must have fresh acorns on the ground. Corn is building up under the feeders again. If it wasn’t for sex crazed bucks wandering the place, hunting would be slow.

Must be that most of the does are bred by now. I had about 15 in front of me in the hay field a couple of evenings ago. They were spread all over the field but no bucks showed up.

This is an odd year.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/26/19 10:09 PM

We have no cameras, when we see them, then we know they are in the area.

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/27/19 12:01 AM

There's zero hunting pressure around my place up in Lampasas. I don't think I've heard a single gunshot anywhere nearby all season. I'm not there all the time but still. I have bachelor groups, doe groups, and mixed groups coming all day long. I have the feeder run at 7:30 AM, noon, and 4PM. It drops about 3 pounds total each run and there isn't a kernel left on the ground when I walk up there. Most I've caught on camera at one time this season is 11 mixed but mostly doe. That's still down for me. Last year the most I caught on one feeder in a single frame on camera was 22.

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/27/19 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
We have no cameras, when we see them, then we know they are in the area.

LMAO!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: All I want for Christmas is bucks on the feeder - 12/27/19 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
My place must have fresh acorns on the ground. Corn is building up under the feeders again. If it wasn’t for sex crazed bucks wandering the place, hunting would be slow.

Must be that most of the does are bred by now. I had about 15 in front of me in the hay field a couple of evenings ago. They were spread all over the field but no bucks showed up.

This is an odd year.

At least in my neighborhood (I'll see at the ranch tomorrow), it's a 2nd rut going on. Bucks are acting weird about any doe. Thank goodness my Blue Lacy has matured into the "discretion is the better part of valor" area and will break off the direct assault at about 20 yards when a buck looks like he's not gonna budge from what he's doing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum