Texas Hunting Forum

Freestone County deer season so far?

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/24/19 10:25 PM

How has the deer season gone so far in Freestone County this fall? Looking at the idea of trying to land a Stand By spot at Fairfield State Park's Lottery Hunt in early January as it is close enough to the house to make the drive. Got skunked at Lake Mineral Wells SP's Hunt last week, but it was a well managed & run Hunt, and local conditions had been reported as not being very good for a successful Hunt. Or do I see if Fort Boggy's got a Lottery Hunt left for this season?....Nope both of the Ft Boggy Hunts were in early December...Snooze ya Looze
Ron
Posted By: 44carbine

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/25/19 02:17 AM

For some, deer season has been very tough this year in this county. The acorn crop is really good this year and acorns are still falling. I live by the park and usually in there at least once a week fishing and see a lot of deer on the drive to the back boat ramp. Better try to hunt the park this year, because unless something amazing happens, the lease on the park ends and the park will close next October 2020.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/25/19 02:43 AM

Good luck!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/25/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 44carbine
….unless something amazing happens, the lease on the park ends and the park will close next October 2020.

I hadn't heard that....dang....
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/25/19 03:08 PM

I haven't seen any deer in the park the last 3 times that I have been there

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/25/19 04:10 PM

Whoa Bubba ....hadn't heard any thing like that anywhere on any property in the TPW System....Time to "bend" some peoples ears in Austin & mebbe face to face ...We don't need to loose ANY access to a piece of land ... especially with as many positive features as Fairfield SP has ... if anything we need to expand the amount of similar multi purpose property's.

Might go Stand By anyway knowing it's a poor % of scoring a WT just to show in person interest in keeping the Park open, with an acorn crop or no acorn crop problems affecting this years Deer Season.

OTOH is there also a poaching problem like I ran into face to face at Lake Mineral Wells SP last week??
Ron
Posted By: pop r

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/25/19 09:26 PM

I been hunting in Freestone county since 1997 and this year and last year I have seen more deer than ever. The park is over run with hogs keeping the deer spooked. Just my 2cents
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/25/19 11:12 PM

Pigs are very bad out there....

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/26/19 03:00 AM

I'd be happy to eliminate as many hogs as possible, as long as I don't have to drag'em out and field dress 'em. My BH refuses to eat wild hogs....so I can't take 'em home and the only guy I know who does feed his family feral hogs already got a full freezers worth. Worth checking the Christmas recovery schedules for both antique shop locations and see if I can fit in a Stand By attempt.
Ron
Posted By: 44carbine

Re: Freestone County deer season so far? - 12/26/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Whoa Bubba ....hadn't heard any thing like that anywhere on any property in the TPW System....Time to "bend" some peoples ears in Austin & mebbe face to face ...We don't need to loose ANY access to a piece of land ... especially with as many positive features as Fairfield SP has ... if anything we need to expand the amount of similar multi purpose property's.

Might go Stand By anyway knowing it's a poor % of scoring a WT just to show in person interest in keeping the Park open, with an acorn crop or no acorn crop problems affecting this years Deer Season.

OTOH is there also a poaching problem like I ran into face to face at Lake Mineral Wells SP last week??
Ron

The State does not own this park. It was leased thru TXU, which was bought by Vistra Energy group. The park, power plant, mine and 20,000 acres of land is For Sale. Lease runs out next October unless somebody buys the land and wants to release to TP&W, if purchased and new owner does not want to release, then the park will close at closing with new owners. I live down the road from this place and it hurts me to think the park might close.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum